Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side and Sash Windows

Options
  • 05-07-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am currently building a new house and have got a number of quotes for side and sash windows. My house is an old farm house style and I really love the side and sash effect. I can't seem to make up my mind, should I go for hardwood or uPVC? I have heard so many mixed reviews on both. Also like I said I have got a number of quotes and Munster Joinery have come in the cheapest but again I have heard and read a number of mixed reviews on them. Can anyone help me? Am I crazy going with wood, are they too high of a maintenance??? Or will uPVC look cheap and crappy??? Have anyone heard or dealt with Regency windows or Signature windows??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you going for a colour or a wood Grain?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

MJ advise you to paint the timber windows as soon as possible after fitting them. They also have to be painted regularly thereafter. The timber does look good especially in an old house but will require maintenance. Some pvc types open inwards for easy washing/cleaning of the window. Opening sash windows isn't as easy as other types. You can't just push them open, as in outwards. You need to be able to stand in close to the window (eg. not leaning over a worktop) to push them up or pull them down. Also need two hands whereas other windows can be opened with just one hand. The size of your window might be a factor also as the frames can be chunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JJIRL

Woodgrain

Sausage dog, thank you for your reply and help! I do love the look of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

JJIRL wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently building a new house and have got a number of quotes for side and sash windows. My house is an old farm house style and I really love the side and sash effect. I can't seem to make up my mind, should I go for hardwood or uPVC? I have heard so many mixed reviews on both. Also like I said I have got a number of quotes and Munster Joinery have come in the cheapest but again I have heard and read a number of mixed reviews on them. Can anyone help me? Am I crazy going with wood, are they too high of a maintenance??? Or will uPVC look cheap and crappy??? Have anyone heard or dealt with Regency windows or Signature windows??

Thanks in advance

If you ever see nice pvc sash windows let me know. Any I've seen look cheap and bulky. And you (as well as everyone else) knows they're plastic.

I've used MJ a few times and the basic window is decent enough but their locking systems (on side hung windows) is pretty weak, they managed to make two identical spec'd windows different sizes and their aftersales still hasn't turned up to rectify a couple of niggles. If you sit on them and pay attention and refuse to live with flaws the savings can be worth it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Antiskeptic, I will indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It must be said that the clunkety-clunk of weights rising and falling in the box frame adds to the appeal. Sanitize them and they'll be the convenience dinner of the sash window world.

I'd pay attention to the d/g panel thickness, getting as thin a panel as possible. Proportions another essential. Even the thickness of the glazing bars matters - if you want the look and feel of a sash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NightFox1

Hi ,
    I’m building a new build Georgian style. I’m actually starting next week. I’m in the same predicament as you. Can’t decide on pvc or hardwood? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance[/quote]

Advertisement