Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave / sick leave help needed!!

Options
  • 06-07-2017 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm currently on sick leave signed off by my doctor until Monday but I also had annual leave booked from this Friday to Tuesday. My doctor has said I am fit to fly for my weekend away but my question is what do I tell my employer? They want an update on my illness on Friday and when I will be back to work etc. Do I simply tell them I am taking my annual leave and I will be back at work on Wednesday or do I tell them I need to go back to my doctor next week? I don't like the idea of lying but I also don't want them thinking I am not ill. The whole purpose of the weekend away is a relaxing spa weekend with my family who I haven't seen for 3 months. My doctor thinks it will do me the world of good as I have been stressed out lately with work and being ill. What do I do?!?! Help needed!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Hi, I'm currently on sick leave signed off by my doctor until Monday but I also had annual leave booked from this Friday to Tuesday. My doctor has said I am fit to fly for my weekend away but my question is what do I tell my employer? They want an update on my illness on Friday and when I will be back to work etc. Do I simply tell them I am taking my annual leave and I will be back at work on Wednesday or do I tell them I need to go back to my doctor next week? I don't like the idea of lying but I also don't want them thinking I am not ill. The whole purpose of the weekend away is a relaxing spa weekend with my family who I haven't seen for 3 months. My doctor thinks it will do me the world of good as I have been stressed out lately with work and being ill. What do I do?!?! Help needed!!!

You are signed off until Monday, communicate to your employer that you will then take your annual leave for Tuesday and will return Wednesday. Your Friday will be reimbursed back as you were certified sick so won't be taken as annual leave. Enjoy your break and don't be afraid to let your employer know that the doctor knew you would be travelling but still deemed unfit to work; they don't need to know the full details. Enjoy your break and the company will survive a couple of days and believe me they are not as concerned and worked up as you are about it (I mean that nicely)..it's a few days off on the grand scheme of things

Edit: ps you don't need to tell you are travelling, it's just if you chat on a friendly basis or when you come back you feel nothing to hide. But at end of day what you are doing is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As above there is nothing to be concerned about. Your sick leave covers you for Friday and Monday so your employer needs to give you back those days annual leave.

Remember, people don't just get sick when they are working...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

As above there is nothing to be concerned about. Your sick leave covers you for Friday and Monday so your employer needs to give you back those days annual leave.

Remember, people don't just get sick when they are working...

I forgot to say you'll get the Monday back too! Thanks jimmycrackcorm :) bonus! Have a great time off and switch off from work until back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I'm not sure I agree with the above comments. I work for HSE and remember reading something saying you can't go straight from sick leave to annual leave, this could just be an HSE staff policy but I'd definitely check it out carefully with your own HR dept.
    One way around it would be to get your doctor to sign you off for the whole length of the break then you can claim back your annual leave to use another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm not sure I agree with the above comments. I work for HSE and remember reading something saying you can't go straight from sick leave to annual leave, this could just be an HSE staff policy but I'd definitely check it out carefully with your own HR dept.
    One way around it would be to get your doctor to sign you off for the whole length of the break then you can claim back your annual leave to use another time.

This is correct for HSE, many private sector companies also have these clauses along with a term that designates sick leave which straddles the weekend to include Saturday and Sunday as sickdays for your work record.

Op you should discuss this with your employer today, if your cert says you are signed off until Monday morning i.e. you will be fit to return to work on Monday, then you need to clarify this with HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I agree, I'm civil service and we can't take annual leave immediately after sick leave either.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

IF the leave has been prebooked and then the person is sick it is ok . You can't just ring in and say im taking the week off with annual leave after a sick cert/

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

IF the leave has been prebooked and then the person is sick it is ok . You can't just ring in and say im taking the week off with annual leave after a sick cert/

If you are sick on your annual leave can you claim it back as sick leave?

Why?

The reason for most companies doing this is to prevent employees from taking extended, albeit unpaid, leave where it may not have be granted if applied for. Whether you booked it in advance has absolutely no baring if your contract of employment stipulates that AL cannot be taken immediately after SL.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    If you are sick on your annual leave can you claim it back as sick leave?

Yes, but you must inform your employer and you will be required to produce a cert for the days you are sick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement