Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial rates query

Options
  • 06-07-2017 5:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I have a business/family quandary that I need advice on relating to possible unpaid commercial rates on my deceased fathers workshop.
    My father(4 years deceased) operated his business out of a small workshop and about 12 years ago he extended the building(with full planning permission) to about twice the size.
    Recently in an effort to generate an extra income for my mothers retirement I have been refurbishing it and have a prospective tenant lined up for the end of this year. The issue I have is apparently the rates that have been paid by my father (and subsequently mother) appear to relate only to the original part of the building. These have been paid every year before and after my father passed.
    When a lease is signed with the new tenant I assume after contacting the council their valuer will correct this? I am unsure how the local council missed this 12 years ago but I guess there was no change of occupancy or use.
    My main concern is will my mother(owner) be liable for the extra rates due for the 12 years since the building was extended or just the last 2 years under Section 32 Local Government Reform Act 2014?
    There will be quite a significant amount due if it is the former and I would be happier finding out now rather than Christmas when the lease will start.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

No problem, the new rates amount only becomes due after the property has been revalued by the Valuation Office, there are no retrospective charges levied.

Do not ask them to do it sooner!! ;)

It would be fair to tell your prospective tenant that the new section of the building has not been re-rated yet and that when it is, the rates/rent will increse accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hochnie

Great to hear, thanks for the response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

As above - it has to be rated first. DO NOT remind them as the rates cannot be backdated.

Just infom the tenant that there is a possibility that at some stage it could get rerated based on the new size.

One of the places I have has extra 180sqm added as a permanent mezzanine - 11 years later and its still rated under the original size.

Advertisement