Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehab facility

Options
  • 06-07-2017 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has been through or has a loved one that's been through cuan mhuire for the entire three month programme? No negative comments please as so far everything is going well with the person there and would like to keep things positive. What's involved with the family days does anyone know and how did you find the last few weeks and after care? Pm me if you'd rather. The loved one that's there is doing great so far, it's early days but things are looking good but would like to have more of an idea as to what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Hi Sigma Force, I have someone there at the moment and like in your post, they seem to be going well so far. Is your friend still there? How are they getting on since?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi Sigma Force, I have someone there at the moment and like in your post, they seem to be going well so far. Is your friend still there? How are they getting on since?

Hi have pm'd you, just a few weeks to go and they are getting on well and keeping busy. Still a lot of things to sort out and so far so good he's willing to get involved with the aftercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

hi have a close friend going into this facility. is it true ists very religious? like saying the rosary everyday? my frind is not religeous and im worried it wont work for him. also, what else is involved? TIA

yellowfrog wrote: »
    hi have a close friend going into this facility. is it true ists very religious? like saying the rosary everyday? my frind is not religeous and im worried it wont work for him. also, what else is involved? TIA

Hi, my loved one isn't a bit religious and it was one of the things that put him off going but he got to the point where he was so ill and really wanted to be sober that he was willing to put up with that part. The idea is more to keep them in a regular routine they habe a choice wether they want to participate in some of the religious stuff but there's so much more to the programme than religion so it's worth saying to your friend to give the whole thing a go and see how they get on. There is rosary every evening and mass every day but it's short. But there are also about tgeee AA meetings a week, practical workshops where they can learn a new skill, group counselling and then from week 8 one in one counselling. Meditation also and talks on the effects of alcohol etc. So your friend won't probably be in to every bit of the programme but I guess like school you put up with the subjects you're not interested in and concentrate more on the subjects you find help. If you get me. The religious side put me off more than my loved one in the end but he decided to take the bull by the horns and commit himself to the whole thing there's no point in doing it by halves. Just tell your friend to take it day by day in there, the day and first week is hard but they'll have support in there from staff and other rehabers. It's not a bit clinical it can be daunting but let them know you're there for them and write to them if you can to encourage them. Phone calls are only allowed on weekends and there can be a que so it's best to organise visiting ahead of time. Visiting is from 2-6 sat and Sunday. Usually the second Sunday of the month there is a family talk (for friends or anyone involved too). There's a lovely coffee shop in the one in Athy, and it's worth going to just for the food. A wee garden centre too. You're friend will be kept very busy and will be given chores to do and it's worth taking on the jobs because it helps pass the time. It's a good idea to give them a few bits, like notepad, pen, envelopes and stamps. Few favourite snacks even if they don't feel like eating just yet. Bottle of fizzy drink. They tend to crave sugar the first few weeks. There's a laundry there 6 Euro a wash I think. It really is a great place to go if you are genuinely looking for help and are willing to give it the best you can. Your friend will find that fellow patients (don't know what to refer to them as sometimes they call themselves inmates lol) are really supportive and the majority are really sound. I hope that helps, I could find zero info when my loved one went in and it was very frustrating and upsetting not knowing. Get them to bring plenty of change for the phone and any medication etc. My loved one is coming out on Friday, it seemed to go on forever but all of a sudden he's coming home! They really do need the full 12 weeks by even week 10 they can still be very anxious and vulnerable but it's amazing the difference a week or two can make. If they're willing to engage in the programme it'll work wonders for them. Tell them not to worry about the religious side, take what they want from that part and leave the rest. The very best of luck to them xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sorry can only give a brief reply right now.

The religious element REALLY put me off going but in the end it was a non-issue. Yes there is mass every day, rosary every evening, two meditations each day and you ARE fully expected to atrend them all, religious or atheist or whatever. But despite how all that sounds, they don't beat the religious aspect down your throat or try to make you believe anything you don't.

I know plenty of atheists and agnostics who got on very well there. And even one Muslim guy!

If it's Athy the person is going to, the priest there Fr Dominic is only lovely and hilarious and the masses are NOT hard to sit through, he's deadly!

• Advertisement

Sorry can only give a brief reply right now.

The religious element REALLY put me off going but in the end it was a non-issue. Yes there is mass every day, rosary every evening, two meditations each day and you ARE fully expected to atrend them all, religious or atheist or whatever. But despite how all that sounds, they don't beat the religious aspect down your throat or try to make you believe anything you don't.

I know plenty of atheists and agnostics who got on very well there. And even one Muslim guy!

If it's Athy the person is going to, the priest there Fr Dominic is only lovely and hilarious and the masses are NOT hard to sit through, he's deadly!

I've heard good things about him too from my loved one, I don't think my oh would of stuck all the masses if he wasn't getting something out of it even if it was just a bit of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

what does family day entail? is it to support the person in the centre or support the people they have affected?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I did Athy in 2015. I did find the religious aspect difficult - not the mass but the evening rosaries. Also, people in treatment there will be given a job to do. The important thing is to have a daily structure, routine and recovery. You are also in a group based on the week you begin treatment.

Compared to other rehab facilities I was in, Cuan Mhuire was definitely the most strict and difficult. Women and men are not allowed to mix socially which in the year 2017 is outrageous. But it is very cheap and seems to work for many.

what does family day entail? is it to support the person in the centre or support the people they have affected?

It's more like an information day for the people affected. Its basically staff and some former residents that talk about their experiences and you can ask questions after. It's worth going to even the once just to see if it's for you.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I did Athy in 2015. I did find the religious aspect difficult - not the mass but the evening rosaries. Also, people in treatment there will be given a job to do. The important thing is to have a daily structure, routine and recovery. You are also in a group based on the week you begin treatment.

Compared to other rehab facilities I was in, Cuan Mhuire was definitely the most strict and difficult. Women and men are not allowed to mix socially which in the year 2017 is outrageous. But it is very cheap and seems to work for many.

My loved one found the meditation a bit boring but he decided when he went in he'd stick to the whole programme more to keep his head down and get on with it and keep in a routine. It's been a life saver for us and was well worth it for all involved. I guess in anything there will be boring parts.

It'd be great if there was a facility where some of the structure was taken from somewhere like cuan mhuire but without any religious involvement and mix it with the smart programme. But I honestly have to say that it is a great facility, there's room for improvement with anywhere like this but considering the amount of people that they have to deal with we are lucky to have such a place and one that's affordable.

If the addict going in really wants it and is ready and willing to stick with the programme and get involved with the work too it can be life changing. As they say in AA and Al Anon take what you need and leave the rest. That old cliche one day at a time works brilliant in all aspects of life not just for addicts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

I've had a family member in Cuan Mhuire Athy up to recently and it has completely turned him around. I'd echo everything said above and can't say enough good things about the place. Wonderful facility with fantastic people working and volunteering there. They're doing marvellous work. Although he's only out a few weeks, I think it's going to stick this time, and the improvement in all our lives is immeasurable

I've had a family member in Cuan Mhuire Athy up to recently and it has completely turned him around. I'd echo everything said above and can't say enough good things about the place. Wonderful facility with fantastic people working and volunteering there. They're doing marvellous work. Although he's only out a few weeks, I think it's going to stick this time, and the improvement in all our lives is immeasurable

That's great news! It really can be a life changer. My oh is sober since he went in so in total he's into his sixth month of sobriety which is amazing. I'd encourage the aftercare meetings even if it's just for them to catch up with others that were in their group. My oh hasn't been going to enough meetings lately so it's still a worry that takes time for everyone to get used to. He went Saturday so that was a relief, so got to stay positive I think it takes the family effected longer to recover and learn to trust again than it does the recovering alcoholic sometimes.

Advertisement