Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambs for Factory

• 06-07-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

what live weight does lambs going to the factory need to be.
    also how do you book them in, from monaghan here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Factory's paying to 21kg deadweight,lambs roughly kill at 50% so that's 42kg liveweight,unless they are really solid well made lambs I usually send mine at around 45kg to be on the safe side.
    Chat to local farmers in your area to find agents that haul lambs to the factory's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

IH784man wrote: »
    Factory's paying to 21kg deadweight,lambs roughly kill at 50% so that's 42kg liveweight,unless they are really solid well made lambs I usually send mine at around 45kg to be on the safe side.
    Chat to local farmers in your area to find agents that haul lambs to the factory's

do all factory's pay to 21kg deadweight

Surfn wrote: »
    do all factory's pay to 21kg deadweight

It can change around it can go to 22kg sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Been a bit optimistic to expect every lamb to kill out 50%

This time of year can be anything between 45 to 50 and can be back further as year progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

It's better to send them at lower weights at this time of year. Given the good prices it will not pay you to keep them. Draft at 40-42 kg. Well conformed lambs even less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

You'd want ram lambs 44kg and ewe lambs 43kg till be sure a getting paid till 21kg dead... only 15% off lambs away here at 14 weeks on grass only. Bulk not far away everything over 37kg.

razor8 wrote: »
    Been a bit optimistic to expect every lamb to kill out 50%

This time of year can be anything between 45 to 50 and can be back further as year progresses

Not really at this time of year with lambs straight of the ewe,different around the backend with stores

You get some 50% but you won't get all unless your weighing your lambs in the morning and very empty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Always get around 50% this time of year especially the Charolais!! They're light boned so kill out well

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Always get around 50% this time of year especially the Charolais!! They're light boned so kill out well

+1 Charolais are seriously lean lambs and are far better than texel imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

do you have to be bord bia approved to send lambs to the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

no

but you get a bonus if you are approved usually 5-10 c/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

orm0nd wrote: »
    no

but you get a bonus if you are approved usually 5-10 c/kg

What's involved in getting quality assured? It's something I've often meant to look in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Mostly paper work

Not worth the hassle unless it sending big numbers.. tis a joke anyway coz I can buy lambs from a farm not quality assured and factory them the next day as quality assured.

Lambman wrote: »
    Not worth the hassle unless it sending big numbers.. tis a joke anyway coz I can buy lambs from a farm not quality assured and factory them the next day as quality assured.

If you are you shouldn't be

Any1 can after 30 days tho in ur herd just checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I thought it was 42 days

You said next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

No but you will normally only get the quote price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Will be selling best of ram lambs in Mart in next week or so,good long Suffolk x stores off Cheviot and mountain x ewes mainly.They would be well started but not fed enough to kill,maybe an odd one fit.....as matter of interest given current factory quotes what would 45 kg Suffolk x Lamb killout at in euros roughly?....not sure if I should 'separate ' best few lambs from the rest.

Thanks for any replies. .

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Will be selling best of ram lambs in Mart in next week or so,good long Suffolk x stores off Cheviot and mountain x ewes mainly.They would be well started but not fed enough to kill,maybe an odd one fit.....as matter of interest given current factory quotes what would 45 kg Suffolk x Lamb killout at in euros roughly?....not sure if I should 'separate ' best few lambs from the rest.

They would kill out at about 21kg and say the price is about 5.40 so if they are well fleshed that's about €113.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Agri123

I recently sent 6 lambs to the factory on Monday on Thursday I received my check in the post only to find that they hadn't paid me at all for on of the lambs his tag number was on the page with a weight of less than 2kg after it . I rang my agent who said he'd find out what had happened he assured me once the lamb walked off the trailer and was fit to be killed I should be paid for it he then contacted the factory and rang me back he said that the factory had killed the lamb but said the carcass was unfit as there was evidence that the lamb had joint ill at some stage ( which I was never aware of and am a bit sceptical about) I asked why I hadn't been issued with any certificate or letter to state this and he said I should have been and if not the factory should pay me for my lamb I tried to contact the factory twice since but the personnel who deal with this I was told were busy and would ring me back which they never did either time. I rang my agent again and he has changed his tune in that he doesn't think I will be entitled to anything and I should have been sent the cert straight away this has been going on now for the past few weeks and others that I have spoken to have said that one the lamb made the factory line I should be paid but they have never had a lamb skipped by the factory I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Have heard of very thin old ewes being condemned before and no payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Agri123 wrote: »
    I recently sent 6 lambs to the factory on Monday on Thursday I received my check in the post only to find that they hadn't paid me at all for on of the lambs his tag number was on the page with a weight of less than 2kg after it . I rang my agent who said he'd find out what had happened he assured me once the lamb walked off the trailer and was fit to be killed I should be paid for it he then contacted the factory and rang me back he said that the factory had killed the lamb but said the carcass was unfit as there was evidence that the lamb had joint ill at some stage ( which I was never aware of and am a bit sceptical about) I asked why I hadn't been issued with any certificate or letter to state this and he said I should have been and if not the factory should pay me for my lamb I tried to contact the factory twice since but the personnel who deal with this I was told were busy and would ring me back which they never did either time. I rang my agent again and he has changed his tune in that he doesn't think I will be entitled to anything and I should have been sent the cert straight away this has been going on now for the past few weeks and others that I have spoken to have said that one the lamb made the factory line I should be paid but they have never had a lamb skipped by the factory I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this before

Walking off the trailer is no guarantee of payment, but you should get a vets cert as to what was wrong

rangler1 wrote: »
    Walking off the trailer is no guarantee of payment, but you should get a vets cert as to what was wrong

This is the second time that this has happened last time I never queried it as it was a hogget who wasn't thriving but this was a February lamb who I had weighed at 46 kg live weight and other farmers have said that the factories have insurance to cover this I was outraged that they won't talk with me directly when I ring and that I haven't got a cert despite them saying one would be sent out over two -three weeks ago I just wanted to know what can I do as I haven't met anyone who has had the same issue and what steps can I take I feel like I'm being fobbed off because I am a small time farmer and only keep a few sheep

Have heard of very thin old ewes being condemned before and no payment

Have those farmers got a cert or letter to say why they didn't get paid as I never got any information just a tag number with a few kg after it and € 0:00 I had to get my agent to ring them to ask why I hadn't got paid and he found out that they "skipped" the lamb but if I ring the factory they say the man who deals with it is busy and he will ring me back but he doesn't and when I ring back the next day they tell me he is busy and he will call me back again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Have those farmers got a cert or letter to say why they didn't get paid as I never got any information just a tag number with a few kg after it and € 0:00 I had to get my agent to ring them to ask why I hadn't got paid and he found out that they "skipped" the lamb but if I ring the factory they say the man who deals with it is busy and he will ring me back but he doesn't and when I ring back the next day they tell me he is busy and he will call me back again!

Honestly I dunno if those farmers got paid,was a lad I known worked in factory told me of it happening

Though I did know others who got docked a certain amount for bruised meat etc from rough ould dogs biting lambs too harshly etc

A 46 kilo lamb is not to sniffed at and it smacks of unprofessionalism it's not sorted yet

What factory was this at? (If it's ok to name,idk)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I got a cert lately claiming a smell and she didn't bleed, at least when you get a cert you're as sure as you can be that she's not in someones deep freeze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Joint ill should condemn a entire lamb unless it was a chronic thin yoke. Just the affected joint.

Advertisement