Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Security

Options
  • 06-07-2017 10:05am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently store my bikes under the stairs and in the attic as I live in a duplex apartment.

Moving house (hopeful) in the coming months.

I'll have a garage and hope to store them in there. What is the best way to secure them in the garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

My initial suggestion would be a claymore shaped charge tripwire explosive, but I don't think ebay ships them anymore.

I'm also curious about securing bikes in a shed/garage. From what I've read on here previously reinforcing the doorway with coach bolts (the kind of roundy head fellas) and heavy duty hinges seemed to be the first step. A good clasp and lock for door is essential too. Creating an anchor inside the garage is also important. You can get ground anchors for a heavy chain from most hardware stores. I think someone created a makeshift one from a ladder, and someone else filled a bucket with cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For concrete, you can buy anchor sets which come with bolts and bearings that you hammer in so they can't screwed out. Then it's all down to the quality of the chain and lock. Alternatively, make it as awqward and/or loud for them to be removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any links to the concert anchors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

For a good bike the sensible solution is to store it in the main house.

We have a bike/garden shed, with robust walls, decent door and a combination bolt. I have no doubt a determined thief could get in with just a pry bar to jerk the bolt off, though we have 2 dogs who would certainly hear any such activity. We keep 5 bikes in it, 3 of the kids bikes are decent (say €700 / €800 new). The youngest has to go through his growth spurt before we invest in a good one for him, he is just leaving national school.

My good bike stays in the house, upstairs.

Besides i wouldn't want it getting cold or lonely out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

3 bikes indoors in my "bike cave/ workshop/turbo trainer room". Non negotiable.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Fian wrote: »
    For a good bike the sensible solution is to store it in the main house.

My good bike stays in the house, upstairs.

Besides i wouldn't want it getting cold or lonely out there.

Family in the shed so? An elegantly simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

godtabh wrote: »

I have these bolted to a concrete wall. Bikes a re locked to it.

http://www.diy.com/departments/master-lock-wall-floor-anchor-h178mm-l288mm-pack-of-1/234057_BQ.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/smith-locke-ground-wall-anchor-black-large-160mm.html

These are the ones I was looking at - haven't got around to actually getting them yet, so can't vouch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

For a valuable bike, I wouldn't trust an €18 ground anchor. I wouldn't use anything that wasn't Sold Secure rated at least, preferably Gold rated.

Just to show the other (slightly rediculous) end of the spectrum

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-IV/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-IV--Squire-SS65CS-Lock--Defiant-Ground-Anchor__p-70-131.aspx

Had these a few years back for a motorbike and are very, very solid but €300+. Would use again though if main MTB had to move to shed

Useful few posts here too - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ground-anchor-2

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ground anchors are about €30 in Woodies. Those ones are ok (very like 07LaPierre's). They only have two bolts (ball bearings provided to hammer into the bolt heads, meaning they can't be gotten back out with an allen key); if you get one bolt out, you can slip the chain out from under the anchor. Oxford have a two-bolt design for very little more money that has a metal floor on the anchor, so you have to cut the anchor open or get both bolts out.

There are much better anchors: ones with four bolts (and longer bolts at that).

I think it's the usual business with security: if you have a locked garden, a locked shed that isn't visible from the road, and your bike locked firmly to the floor, your chances of having your bike stolen are a lot smaller than most people's. But if your bike is really valuable, maybe the shed or the garage isn't the best place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I have about 5 bikes locked in our shed/cabin. The shed has it's own alarm, wired to windows and doors and an internal sensor. Sensor light on the shed too, very noticeable from the house if it goes off. Bikes are locked to the turbo's they are on, about 20kg worth of turbo for 2 bikes, then locked together, and then locked to a unit in front of them with a seperate lock. Other bike's are all locked together, using a few different locks, all locked to a weighted gym bench and a bike rack for a car, work stand and another small unit.

Main idea being to make it look as complicated as possible to get the bikes out, have a little routine now myself so no hassle picking and choosing which bike to take out but if you were to look at it from outside you would have no idea where to start with trying to get through the locks.

One thing I was told and it seems simple enough but makes sense, don't leave any tools in the garage that could be used to brake the locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ground anchors are about €30 in Woodies. Those ones are ok (very like 07LaPierre's). They only have two bolts (ball bearings provided to hammer into the bolt heads, meaning they can't be gotten back out with an allen key); if you get one bolt out, you can slip the chain out from under the anchor. Oxford have a two-bolt design for very little more money that has a metal floor on the anchor, so you have to cut the anchor open or get both bolts out.

There are much better anchors: ones with four bolts (and longer bolts at that).

I think it's the usual business with security: if you have a locked garden, a locked shed that isn't visible from the road, and your bike locked firmly to the floor, your chances of having your bike stolen are a lot smaller than most people's. But if your bike is really valuable, maybe the shed or the garage isn't the best place for it.

My thinking is..if the burglar has got by the "other security measures" (locked doors, alarms etc.) the chances are they have got into the garage unnoticed. If that's the case, then they have all day/night to cut chains or locks and steal the bikes. Locking the Bikes is just a precaution against opportunistic thief's who may be passing while my garage door is open (e.g. when I'm cutting the grass etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Motion detector alarms are very heavy on batteries, be warned. I saw a contact-breaker alarm on ebay with a solar panel which extends battery life extensively.

Having a wooden shed, a ground anchor wasn't really an option so drilled two holes in the floor either side of a joist and threaded a steel cable down and back up to padlock my bike to. Some rebar attached to the joist under the shed to reinforce. I have a pedelec which was stolen from my shed before I improved the security but having removed the battery meant I got it back - would probably put anyone off who knows what they are looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Here's what I got for my three bikes, anchor has 4 bolts, great value:

https://www.rydestore.com/security/chain-anchor-kits/ryde-1-8m-heavy-duty-chain-flip-down-ground-anchor.html

Wheeker wrote: »

If the chain and lock are any good, that's good value.

BTW, this is pretty thorough.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/bike-shed-security-part-1-21131/

I didn't do most of the stuff there, but if you did it would be pretty secure.

(My shed has a concrete floor and walls, and has no windows, so it's pretty good to begin with. I added anchors for both bikes. I covered the ends of the screws in the door hinges with epoxy putty so it's slightly harder to get the door off with a power drill with a screwdriver bit. I changed the lock to a hasp and padlock. I reckon a crowbar would get you past any wooden door though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I have one of these for the motorbike. 3 bolts, with ball bearings and caps to fit to the top of the bolts once secured. Comes with the drill bits to fit it. You need your own drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

They have four baby leopards at Fota. They'd surely not miss one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Chuchote wrote: »
    They have four baby leopards at Fota. They'd surely not miss one.

Leopards are nocturnal so what will you use during the day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As I understand it, Thiefus Thiefus Dublinius is also nocturnal.

sclaters-lemur-closeup.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I guess it all depends on what part of the country you're moving to.

Dublin and surrounding counties bikes in your bed with you if that can't be done sleep on the bike.

I've also found the less inviting the shed the less likely they are to break into it. I used to have a small shed about 6'x3' and it had 000's worth of bike in it all shoe horned in and chained to a ladder. Never an issue there.

We got a nicer shed bikes went indoors and attic. That shed has had the lawnmower and even plant pots taken out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

If the shed has a concrete floor or walls I'd go with something like in the link below or the Kryptonite anchor mentioned above:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/oxford-anchor-14-ground-anchor/

Pair this with HEAVY DUTY chain that you can get from motorbike or maritime shop. As weight here is not an issue (but the opposite) just go with whatever is the strongest stuff you can get your hands on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could always do what i do when i'm out of the house for a few days - store the bike in the garage, and take the front wheel into the house. that obviously won't deter all thieves, but would possibly deter any who were hoping to ride away on the bike without much fuss.

Advertisement