Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find the source of annoying bike creak

Options
  • 06-07-2017 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    There is an annoying creak coming from somewhere on the bike.
    It happens most noticeably when out of the saddle but can be heard at times when in the saddle and cycling uphill (so under heavy load I guess)

It's not coming my knees or indeed any other body part. ;)

What I've done so far:

-Greased drop outs front and back.
    -Changed skewers front and back.
    -Changed wheels front and back.
    -Removed,lightly greased and replaced chain ring bolts.
    -Replaced the chain.
    -Replaced the bottom bracket.
    -Replaced the pedals.
    -Cycled with 2 different pairs of cycling shoes and with a pair of runner on in ---order to eliminate the cleats as the source
    Head set bearings replaced last Autumn and bearings seem perfectly smooth.

After all that it's still creaking.
    Any ideas on what I can check next?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Put the bike in the shed.

Buy a new one.

Repeat until your bike no longer creaks.

That's the only solution.

In all seriousness, unless it's really loud, and assuming you've inspected your frame for cracks, then just leave it be. You've already clearly spent a lot of time and money trying to rectify something that's little more than an annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Take the cranks off and put a smear of Vaseline on the tapers, don't be afraid to tighten them well with a good quality socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

My noise is 95% of the time to do with the seatpost. Maybe grit which bangs off the frame, and the bloody noise travels so you think it’s coming from elsewhere.

Clean and regrease the seatpost, or take it out completely to test if that’s it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

seamus wrote: »
    Put the bike in the shed.

Buy a new one.

Repeat until your bike no longer creaks.

That's the only solution.

In all seriousness, unless it's really loud, and assuming you've inspected your frame for cracks, then just leave it be. You've already clearly spent a lot of time and money trying to rectify something that's little more than an annoyance.

Ya. I hear you. But it's really fuppin annoying. Doing my nut in really!!
    The chain and BB were spares I had and still have the old ones which I can re-use so not really out of pocket.
    Checked and checked again for a crack but can't find any thankfully.

brianomc wrote: »
    My noise is 95% of the time to do with the seatpost. Maybe grit which bangs off the frame, and the bloody noise travels so you think it’s coming from elsewhere.

Noise is loudest though when out of the saddle and especially going uphill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

G1032 wrote: »
    Noise is loudest though when out of the saddle and especially going uphill

H/Bar stem bolts?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    H/Bar stem bolts?

Will check this evening!!

G1032 wrote: »
    Will check this evening!!

BTW i have a similar issue. Like you, ive replaced all wheel bearings, freewheel bearings, greased the drop outs, tightness check on all bolts etc.

I'm getting a creaking noise, BUT if i backpedal, it goes away! very strange!

I've decided to just live with it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

try to work out if it happens at a particular point in the pedal stroke that way you can usually determine if it's BB/Crank/Pedal related. if not it's most likely somewhere else.

If you have a turbo and someone willing to listen for your creak while you are on it might help also.

Thud wrote: »
    try to work out if it happens at a particular point in the pedal stroke that way you can usually determine if it's BB/Crank/Pedal related. if not it's most likely somewhere else.

If you have a turbo and someone willing to listen for your creak while you are on it might help also.

Turbo I have...someone with OCD like me,that is willing to listen could be a problem! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Take the handlebars off, clean them and the stem. Put some carbon paste on the bars and re-instal.
    If that doesn't work, I'm afraid it has to be a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I reckon it is your headset - if you're getting it while out of the saddle (i.e. pressure on the bars/stem area while you're bouncing around and on the hoods) and then sometimes if you are going uphill but in the saddle (but again with little movements from the effort of climbing) then I'd be looking there.
    Happened just last week on the wife's bike actually - when we got home I tightened the headset as it was just a tiny bit loose. she was convinced it was the BB, but I was trying to explain that on Carbon bikes, everything sounds like it's from the BB....it's like a 'speaker' :)

andy69 wrote: »
    I reckon it is your headset - if you're getting it while out of the saddle (i.e. pressure on the bars/stem area while you're bouncing around and on the hoods) and then sometimes if you are going uphill but in the saddle (but again with little movements from the effort of climbing) then I'd be looking there.
    Happened just last week on the wife's bike actually - when we got home I tightened the headset as it was just a tiny bit loose. she was convinced it was the BB, but I was trying to explain that on Carbon bikes, everything sounds like it's from the BB....it's like a 'speaker' :)

I think you're right. Alu frame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

My noise is 95% of the time to do with the seatpost.

+1 on this. It can creak when out of the saddle too, due to frame flex. Take it out, apply grease all over the post, and put it back in. Unless it's a carbon frame, in which case I think there's some other stuff you should use.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Try cleaning and regreasing (or reinstalling with loctite) the chainring bolts. That was one of the things I did when troubleshooting a creak recently. On the off chance that you're using a p2max power meter with Rotor cranks, my creak turned out to be the power meter lockring coming loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I cured mine by chianging BB bearings from genuine to aftermarket ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I remember reading a thread here recently about a creak/click from a rear Mavic hub - something to do with poor adhesive......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Possibly from the bottom bracket /crankshaft , I had this problem a few years ago , local bs sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Similar issues - removed push fit bottom bracket, regreased and refitted. Removed pedals, regressed the threads and refitted. Creaks disappeared.

• Advertisement

outfox wrote: »
    +1 on this. It can creak when out of the saddle too, due to frame flex. Take it out, apply grease all over the post, and put it back in. Unless it's a carbon frame, in which case I think there's some other stuff you should use.

This was it. Fixed! Can't believe it was the seat post. Took off stem bolts yesterday and cleaned them, h/bars and creak remained.
    Then just got some GT85 and sprayed it down the seat post. Left it for 5 minutes and took the bike out. Creak gone.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Invoice is in the post.

Advertisement