Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with motherboard battery on new build.

• 06-07-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

I completed my new build the other day using the components above. To my relief it booted first time and after setting the BIOS I was able to install windows and work away.

Everything looked fine till the next day I powered up to be greeted with the message.

"Devices changed (CPU or Memory) or CMOS has been cleared. Please enter setup to configure your setup. Ect…"

Uh-oh I think something not right so I mess with the ram only booting with 1 stick etc. Same problem. Updated the BIOS to latest version same problem, try without one disks then both and always greeted with the same screen on a cold boot.

Eventually after two days of frustration I pulled the CMOS battery and tested it with a multimeter. It registers 0.04v. Wait WHAT :confused: this is a brand new sealed motherboard with a new battery!! Anyway after replacing with a new battery from Dealz which showed 3.30v on the multimeter. I power on and set the bios again. Thankfully now after a couple of cold boots it now boots fine. I can only recall ever having to replace a battery once on a 7 year old PC. Anyway I wonder how many of these motherboards will be RMA'd if a batch of faulty batteries were installed in them. Anybody else ever come across a dead CMOS battery on a new motherboard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You probably found the 1-in-a-million bad CMOS batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cell chemistry isnt always perfect. Even among Teslas new killer own design units have duds. CRxx are the cheapest going so its no huge shocker, just unlucky for you.

Advertisement