Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 Tdi 130 Avf motor

• 06-07-2017 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

having an issue of late with my 2004 audi a4 tdi motor. From starting on cold the motor is hunting on idle (see vid) and there is also white smoke from exhaust with a rancid smell.

Some history:

170,000 miles
    Genuine coolant temp sensor, air filter, cabin filter replaced 2 years ago.
    Genuine Maf sensor changed one month ago.
    Mann Fuel filter changed 2 weeks ago.
    Genuine fuel injector harness changed this week.

Any ideas what this issue is?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Cerebrum

Sounds a bit like an EGR issue (hopefully not head gasket).

Has the coolant level dropped slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Cerebrum wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like an EGR issue (hopefully not head gasket).

Has the coolant level dropped slightly?

Thanks cerebrum, no the coolant hasnt dropped at all. What could be the issue's with the EGR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

egr cooler can leak coolant into the engine, would cause rough running and smoke / exhaust smell, can also get stuck open causing rough running at low rpm.

white smoke could be a fuel or compression issue - would get a relative compression test as its quick easy test

also any codes?

scannerd wrote: »
    egr cooler can leak coolant into the engine, would cause rough running and smoke / exhaust smell, can also get stuck open causing rough running at low rpm.

white smoke could be a fuel or compression issue - would get a relative compression test as its quick easy test

also any codes?

Interesting, yeah so when driving the car today it went into limp mode for the first time ever in my few years of ownership and the engine management light came on also.

Scanned it with VCDS and showed up fault: 17564 Manifold pressure sensor (G71) - P1156 - 35-10 - Open/Short to Ground - Intermittent

Cleared it and went for another blast and got no engine light but intermittent power delivery loss and a whistle when backing off the accelerator

Worth pointing out that fuel economy has dropped to about 30mpg also...some strange behaviour from the car of late so be time to book it in for an engine health check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

fault with the manifold pressure sensor could lead to over fueling = white smoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Cerebrum

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Interesting, yeah so when driving the car today it went into limp mode for the first time ever in my few years of ownership and the engine management light came on also.

Scanned it with VCDS and showed up fault: 17564 Manifold pressure sensor (G71) - P1156 - 35-10 - Open/Short to Ground - Intermittent

Cleared it and went for another blast and got no engine light but intermittent power delivery loss and a whistle when backing off the accelerator

Worth pointing out that fuel economy has dropped to about 30mpg also...some strange behaviour from the car of late so be time to book it in for an engine health check!

Those are all faulty MAP sensor symptoms, so no real need for the health check.

BOSCH: 0281002401 is the MAP sensor

Cerebrum wrote: »
    Those are all faulty MAP sensor symptoms, so no real need for the health check.

BOSCH: 0281002401 is the MAP sensor

Yeah so I replaced the map sensor yesterday "cerebrum" and that sorted the issue, running perfect now cheers!

Still have the issue with the motor hunting on startup though, hell of alot of white smoke this morning on startup also.

I cleaned the egr and manifold over a year ago so im worried now its gotta be the cams or injectors causing that behaviour on startup....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

had an issue like yours a few years ago with hunting on tick over and power loss, turned out it was water in the diesel so might be worth checking the fuel filter

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭giesha

hi corcaigh1. how do you doing.?

i as the same car a4 2004 1.9 tdi.

you say you changed the map sensor.

can i ask, were is it located.?

my car is plenty of power while its cold then when it gets normal operating temp its goes basicly into limp home mode.
    i scanned it & the code is for the g71 map sensor, but im not familiar with this sensor location.

any help be great.
    thanks coraigh1

This is the VW Passat but same Tdi motor and location for the MAP sensor, hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭giesha

hi corcaigh1.

thanks for that mate. yes i thought so, i think on the 2.5 its behind the passenger head lamp, & i found some were that they said back on top of engine, i go out this weekend & take look at the car (not my car, good friends car).
    thanks for for that any way corcaigh1.

did you get your car sorted out.?

giesha wrote: »
    hi corcaigh1.

thanks for that mate. yes i thought so, i think on the 2.5 its behind the passenger head lamp, & i found some were that they said back on top of engine, i go out this weekend & take look at the car (not my car, good friends car).
    thanks for for that any way corcaigh1.

did you get your car sorted out.?

No prob, I did indeed she's purring away nicely!

Advertisement