Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM race recommendation Q1/Q2 2018?

Options
  • 06-07-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Would really appreciate some thoughts on an IM course for 2018 before the school holidays hit, ideally before July. Am leaning to SA as it suits my training window with family commitments.

Looking at the calendar right now options are

S. Africa - April - ok travel, course looks beautiful, same timezone
    Texas - April - heat, easy enough to fly to
    Lanza - May - bike stands out to me as real grind (I know they will all be)
    Boulder, CO - June - 5,000+ ft elevation and long travel
    Norway - July 1 - first full race, feedback on 70.3 seems great
    Austria - July 1 - nirvana option only (fine), seems a great race

Thanks for any feedback -

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Austria also a bit of a pain to travel. Either two flights or one flight plus long drive / long train journey.

Norway would probably be fab but an expensive trip I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

reidman wrote: »
    Would really appreciate some thoughts on an IM course for 2018 before the school holidays hit, ideally before July. Am leaning to SA as it suits my training window with family commitments.

Looking at the calendar right now options are

S. Africa - April - ok travel, course looks beautiful, same timezone
    Texas - April - heat, easy enough to fly to
    Lanza - May - bike stands out to me as real grind (I know they will all be)
    Boulder, CO - June - 5,000+ ft elevation and long travel
    Norway - July 1 - first full race, feedback on 70.3 seems great
    Austria - July 1 - nirvana option only (fine), seems a great race

Thanks for any feedback -

Really depends on your preferences for a race.
    - poss tie in with family hol or go solo?
    - preference for conditions?
    - preference for course?
    - easy of transport
    - facilities etc on arrival?
    - cost

I did Texas this year and it was quite an enjoyable one from all aspects.
    It was 2 flights but most are that side of the pond.
    Hired a car at Houston and the woodlands was just 50mins from airport on straight motorway, in fact some of the bike course itself.
    Weather was perfect - off afternoon shower.
    Lot of facilities nearby - cheap 50m pool, expensive country club with outdoor pools, masters swim group with pros outdoor pool, etc.
    States has everything. From mobile mechanic to help any bike issues to 3 x cryo centres with normatec boots, wholefoods, shops , safe area etc.
    Course itself was a good one but boring for some being 2 laps of closed highway and exposed to wind.
    Great support on run course.
    Very easy to get to and around being in central location with same transitions.

I did consider Africa but it didn't quite suit for work and timing for me.

Americans usually put on a great show.
    I may go back there myself next year as for an early season Ironman I think it works very well.

PS to Texas tied in with school mid term this year so may be the same next yr if family hol an option.

Nice is also an option btw - moved back to it's normal weekend for next year (end June)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Thanks guys - didn't know Nice was moved back. No family holiday for the race, I'm looking to be free myself up from serious training for the summer for a long family break. I think I read your TX race report Fazz - sounded well organised. Getting it teed up for end of April gives a little daylight for longer bike rides Mar/early April.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i get the idea of being done for the summer, that's what i did this year and enjoying the down time (a bit too much probably).

lanza was my weapon of choice, while you say they are all a grind, lanza is definitely on another level for toughness . superb race though, i'd high recommend it. it's tough as nails though, not sure if it's your first or not but not sure i'd fancy tackling it as my first IM

• Advertisement

Yep aiming for first full. TX bike looks better suited to me for the bike, bike probably where I need to focus for the winter, wahoo kickr has been a game changer for me. Comfortable at swim distance, lots of marathons, x3 1/2 IMs which were comfortable, and want to use the winter to step up training. All the above is appreciated as I will need to commit to which race to aim for.

Early IM's have the downside of doing many long bikes on the turbo. One of the reasons I would never look at Lanza (other than the fact it seems horrendous) would be that getting the bikes done would be a complete slog during Irish winter / early Spring.

Beauty of a race later in the year is getting to do your long bikes / hills etc outdoors. Even though it's still windy as hell in July!

I get it, but need to keep summer clear for once........ have promised to. So lots of time on the kickr, which I am doing in any case, the convenience has prompted the decision to go through the winter on it and to hit the road for longer sessions when the days get a bit longer in March, early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

there is
    ironcat ( in catalunya ) around 20th of may
    there is challenge poznan ( i guess the cheapest branded ironman distance race in europe and if you dont like open water swiming its basically in a 1900m long swiming pool ) last week of june
    very easy to get to with direct flights into poznan.

there is one in hungary Ballaton lake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Did Balatonman in Hungary the last 2 years, nice friendly small-field race with a club vibe, bit like Hardman.

This year the field included a former Irish middle distance champion, quite random! Was on the same weekend as Athy this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement