Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair dismissal

Options
  • 06-07-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

About 4 weeks ago I had to leave work suddenly for a family matter. I told my job I had to use up all my annul leave days and then apply for carers leave.

I'm still on holiday and my carers leave doesn't start until the 11th July. Because of the persons i'm carers for I told my job i'll be returning to work on the 4th September.

I submitted the carers form to them to fill out and they didn't reply for a few days. I emailed them again today saying did they receive my email and HR replied saying they would need me to come in for a meeting next week.

I'm nearly sure i'm going to be let go.

What can i do?

My role is not a role that can be made redundant as it's needed. If i wasn't doing it someone else would have to do it 100%

If going into this meeting i need to know what I can say / do if I am being let go.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

How long have you been working for the company? Did they agree to you taking your annual leave and then carer's leave or did you just basically walk out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's a long time to be out of work with no notice, especially in a position that is 100% needed. They won't make you redundant but you may be open to other disciplinary action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Effectively you are absent without leave for four weeks. Annual and unpaid leave is at the discretion of your employment, if you just walked out the door then you can expect there to be consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the big thing here is the manner in how you left work..

Did you sit down with your manager and apply for the 4 weeks leave explaining the urgent need for it, or did you walk out essentially demanding your given the 4 weeks leave and then demand to get the carers leave ?

If the latter then it could easily be stretched to gross misconduct an you can easily be terminated based on that.

Advertisement