Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical certificate for half marathon in Italy

Options
  • 06-07-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am planning on running a half Marathon in Monza in September.
    http://www.followyourpassion.it/monza21halfmarathon.html

It seem like its a requirement to have medical cert to be allowed to race in Italy.
    It also mentioned getting a runcard? http://www.runcard.com/english

I am just checking if anyone has any advices/experience with the process of registering for a run overseas?
    I don't really feel like paying 60 euro to get a cert from the GP.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

No personal experience, only hearsay. There's a thread here on a similar requirement for medical cert for events in France
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057758883

It seems a bit pointlessly CYA, but it's A Thing there. Apparently local doctors are v familiar and charge about €20 for a v quick once over. Over here, GPs can get worried about potential liability and want all kinds of $$$ tests. Or sign it for free. Or charge for a normal vist. Or something else.

The runcard sounds like it would be seriously expensive, though. I haven't seen that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crouchie15

Great, thanks for info!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

crouchie15 wrote: »
    I don't really feel like paying 60 euro to get a cert from the GP.

It not just a cert though, its a medical check! This nonchalant attitude to personal health baffles me. I have run in Paris where it also is a requirement to produce a medical cert. One particular forum on the race was dominated by people discussing ways to avoid paying a gp for a cert. Personally, I think getting a medical assessment before training and running long distances is a no brainer. If the additional cost on top of flights, hotel, food, running gear, entry fee is the issue then choose a different race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

shane1981 wrote: »
    It not just a cert though, its a medical check! This nonchalant attitude to personal health baffles me. I have run in Paris where it also is a requirement to produce a medical cert. One particular forum on the race was dominated by people discussing ways to avoid paying a gp for a cert. Personally, I think getting a medical assessment before training and running long distances is a no brainer. If the additional cost on top of flights, hotel, food, running gear, entry fee is the issue then choose a different race?

Errah, one minute now. For starters lots of those complaining had probably run a few marathons previously and may have had real medical checks done. When I got one of those a few years ago, before I copped on, the doc asked me two questions, short chat and bingo, pay up. No medical check at all. Since then I've just photocopied them. If you really want or need a medical check, fair enough get one done but if it's a waste of money, as mine was, then screw that!.

Oh, as for the Runcard, OP, that is a relatively new thing in Italy. Another bloody money-maker I'm afraid. I had to buy one before last year's Pisa marathon but not for the previous year's one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

shane1981 wrote: »

Medical check needed regularly as part of a good approach to your health? Sure.
    Medical check needed suddenly because you're running in an event in France, Italy, etc. - no.

There's no need to take it to a fundamental requirement. Give people the benefit of recognising the risk and accepting it. Your risk appetite is lower than others.

Advertisement