Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Support Group

Options
  • 06-07-2017 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,
    I very recently lost my other half to cancer. I wanted to wait to see how I would cope before deciding if I need to talk it out with professionals etc, and really feel like I want to find a support group. Having googled a lot, and looked at the links provided in this Forum previously, I can't seem to find anything suitable. I don't want one-to-one with a professional, because even though they may have all the qualifications in the world, at the bottom of it all I will be thinking "but you don't know how I actually feel". Hence, why I feel a Support Group would be best for me.
    I know there are some associated with the Church but frankly, I don't have the best relationship with God at this time. Also, many are in the daytime and ideally I would want a group which meets in evening time after work. 
    I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me of anything such groups in Dublin, any part of the city, I would be willing to drive.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Sorry OP, I've no help on support groups other than what you've already tried.

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss.

Hugz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

This is a world-wide online support group, but hopefully they might be able help? They're very good about sharing follower's requests about support/what to do when dealing with counsellors/family/friends who do believe in god/afterlife etc.

facebook.com/faithfreegriefsupport
    should be the direct address, but if that doesn't show, try searching for Grief Beyond Belief.

Might also be worth asking in the Atheist/Agnostic forum here-they might be more knowledgable about groups/places who won't be faith-based. Hope you can find somewhere in Dublin soon, but hopefully the GBB page can give you a bit of support in the meantime. Not sure what else to say other than thinking of you OP, xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

OP, I am very sorry for your loss. You may have tried this link already, but if not, it may be worth a look;

https://www.cancer.ie/support/coping-with-cancer/bereavement-support#Adults

Other than that, try local notice boards in shops / gyms / community centres.
    Take care of yourself.

Advertisement