Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies in Ringsend/Irishtown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The big building that burns things might be able to help with that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Saw a plastic bag with coins and water in it hanging in the window of a pub recently. Checked online afterwards what it was for and sure enough there weren't any flies in around our pub lunch.

Might be worth a try.
    http://www.waycooldogs.com/a-ziplock-bag-of-water-and-4-pennies-no-flies/
    If nothing else it will keep the kids amused for an afternoon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Isn't this just Flying Ant Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like Ringsend may have offended the gods... locusts next?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ringsend-fly-infestation-3482966-Jul2017/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Yes! Live in Irishtown and afraid to open my windows. I've been swatting the bloody things with a damp dishcloth like a demented fishwife for days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's pretty widespread in the news this morning. The problem is as bad as people are saying, no exaggeration. And all the shops in Ringsend and surrounds have sold out of all fly killing equipment. There is a growing consensus in the community where the source lies and it will be interesting to see what is done about it, or indeed what can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Do you mean the incinerator? They say they're not taking rubbish at the moment. Wouldn't place too much trust in that though. Not as bad round my road the past two days thank God! Did notice a restaurant on ringsend road totally swarmed when ate there during the week. Was like being in SE Asia again!

quote="KingdomRushed;104014818"]It's pretty widespread in the news this morning. The problem is as bad as people are saying, no exaggeration. And all the shops in Ringsend and surrounds have sold out of all fly killing equipment. There is a growing consensus in the community where the source lies and it will be interesting to see what is done about it, or indeed what can be done about it.[/quote]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Send in the SWAT team!

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Send in the SWAT team!

The UN need to establish a no fly zone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The UN need to establish a no fly zone :)

More Buzzwords!

• Advertisement

Mystery solved... "EPA finds 'moderate' infestation of flies at Poolbeg incinerator."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/flies-poolbeg-ringsend-3485467-Jul2017/

At what point do we call in an airstrike on this location?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

In Glasnevin and also noticed tonnes of small flies, there is about a dozen flying around my apartment atm.

Mind you, the huge spider that lives in my tool shed is having a field day, seriously a huge amount of small flies in his net.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Mystery solved... "EPA finds 'moderate' infestation of flies at Poolbeg incinerator."
    http://www.thejournal.ie/flies-poolbeg-ringsend-3485467-Jul2017/

At what point do we call in an airstrike on this location?

Would the waste not attract flies while it's waiting to be burned? Or is it treated or processed not to?

Skatedude wrote: »
    Would the waste not attract flies while it's waiting to be burned? Or is it treated or processed not to?

Seems to be the former... the area where the waste is stored prior to burning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

That is disgraceful. Considering how sensitive the incinerator issue is, and the opposition that there was to it, somebody should lose their job for letting this happen, but of course there'll be no consequences.

On the plus side there's 2 good business opportunities for anyone who's quick enough to open a pop-up shop

1) Fly swatters, fly spray etc.
    2) Pitchforks and torches.

FFS, I'm going to buy shares in that sticky fly paper rolls our grandparents used. and where can you buy same? and do they deliver?

Bet I'm going to see that as a new service for deliveroo next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its not burning waste due to safety issues a few weeks ago. I assume its just what's there decaying!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Spar on Mount St is full of them, it's manky ��

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

not yet wrote: »
    The big building that burns things might be able to help with that...

Could the mystery surrounding the “plague of flies” reportedly dominating the skies of Dublin 4 suburbs be solved?
    The Environmental Protection Agency said they undertook a site visit to Poolbeg Incinerator - operated by Dublin Waste to Energy Ltd - on foot of complaints and reports concerning swarms of flies in the neighbouring Irishtown and Ringsend areas.
    “The inspector found moderate fly numbers in the waste intake building and bunker area. Dublin Waste to Energy Ltd has had a pest control contractor on site on the 2nd, 5th and 6th of July to undertake fly control.

Talk about stating the bleedin obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not burning waste due to safety issues a few weeks ago. I assume its just what's there decaying!
    Sure, but it's indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, but it's indoors.

The doors were open into the waste reception/storage last week, if you walked past it you could see this every day.

Advertisement