Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton 6k Trail Race Thursday 27th July 2017

Options
  • 06-07-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

This was a big success last year, super race, great dept of field from top to toe and the usual high standard race spread from DAC, who's in?

[IMG][/img]cartonflyer.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I think I'll do it; bit of a distance away but I like the novelty of it. Seems like a different sort of race and it'll be nice doing a race off road for once. Is there a finisher's medal at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I think I'll do it; bit of a distance away but I like the novelty of it. Seems like a different sort of race and it'll be nice doing a race off road for once. Is there a finisher's medal at the end?

Yep all finishers get a medal :)

I like the look of this one and need to work on my trail running, I have have started running off trail and its a different kind of beast LOL or maybe it is all the Hills :)

Baby75 wrote: »

I like the look of this one and need to work on my trail running, I have have started running off trail and its a different kind of beast LOL or maybe it is all the Hills :)

This is a great run, really enjoyed it last year, can't make it this year unfortunately.
    Medal was the size of a small saucer if I remember correctly.

Baby75 wrote: »

I may have to do it then.

Is it a hilly run?? Trail running is definitely tough but great training. I tried a trail Parkrun recently and it floored me within the first k of how hard it was. Went over on my ankle at one stage as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I may have to do it then.

Is it a hilly run?? Trail running is definitely tough but great training. I tried a trail Parkrun recently and it floored me within the first k of how hard it was. Went over on my ankle at one stage as well!

I have been trying it out myself and yea I thought the same, it is meant to be easier on the body though :)

I looked up the route on https://www.plotaroute.com/route/452380 it shows the hills looks like its down hill to the finish line LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There are a couple of 'bumps' in it yeah but it's a gorgeous run, there was even some muck through the forest last year for the XC folks :D. Trail races are few and far between (or at least I never seem to be able to find them other than IMRA and they really ARE hilly.

Go on, register!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just giving this a bump, it's this Thursday, what better way to spend an evening than running through the trails of the gorgeous Carton House :)

Signed up for this myself; anyone know what parking situation is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Signed up for this myself; anyone know what parking situation is like??

Lots and lots in front of the main house, 400m walk to registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Great night in Carton House. For such a low cost, midweek run, it was excellent.

A few small things to note, these didn't affect me but thought it could be better:

There were cars passing on the route near the end. They shouldn't have been allowed on the route until the end or at least until the field has thinned out a bit more.

Also, they started the presentations when the last of the finishers were a crossing the line. Bit rude to them I thought.

Great course and a good session on the legs, looking forward to it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Great night in Carton House. For such a low cost, midweek run, it was excellent.

A few small things to note, these didn't affect me but thought it could be better:

There were cars passing on the route near the end. They shouldn't have been allowed on the route until the end or at least until the field has thinned out a bit more.

Also, they started the presentations when the last of the finishers were a crossing the line. Bit rude to them I thought.

Great course and a good session on the legs, looking forward to it again next year.
    Yeh really enjoyed it myself.

In relation to the cars...I don't think it's a big issue as there is a big grass verge that runners can run on...it is a trail run afterall.

Most presentations happen before the last finishers if I'm not mistaken? People take 8+ hrs to finish the marathon but they don't wait around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Hi Corcaigh,

Feedback is always appreciated, of any sort, so many thanks for the kind words and comment on the issues you've raised. Delighted you'll be back next year!

In terms of the issues raised - we cannot close the avenue for this race, however, we did place two marshals at both ends of that avenue, cautioning drivers, along with signs for drivers advising same. As Fletch mentioned it is a trail race and a 1.5m trail exists along side the avenue, although, obviously, its quicker for runners to run on the road.

A conscious decision was made to make presentations to winners when all category winner and teams were in and subsequent results were available, rather than waiting for our final walkers to finish. It gets quite cold for finishers and for those with a long journey ahead of them (including the winner) it works best, we feel.

Again, thanks for supporting us! This is key race for us in fundraising for a tartan track development and the support we received from runners last night goes a long way in achieving that goal.

HG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Advertisement