Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer wobtstart

Options
  • 06-07-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

Have had a pro cut strimmer for 5/6 years ( I think )
    Never had any issue with it . Used once every 2 weeks in summer for light strumming around garden
    Today it won't start
    It stops just short of starting
    When I pull the starter it sounds like it is firing up but doesn't
    Anything I can check myself ?

Comments

km79 wrote: »
    Have had a pro cut strimmer for 5/6 years ( I think )
    Never had any issue with it . Used once every 2 weeks in summer for light strumming around garden
    Today it won't start
    It stops just short of starting
    When I pull the starter it sounds like it is firing up but doesn't
    Anything I can check myself ?

Spark plug. Replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is that the spark plug ?
    Are they universal or should I just bring it in to local shop tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

km79 wrote:
    Is that the spark plug ? Are they universal or should I just bring it in to local shop tomorrow ?

Yes that's the spark plug and as far as I'm aware, they're universal

Wanderer78 wrote: »

So just loosen the bolt , pop it out , replace with new and that's it ?
    There are no instructions worth talking about with it the strimmer !

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I have an old pro cut strummer.

What works for me: make sure power switch is in on position. Open choke. Pull starter until it fires but doesn't quite start, (Usually 3 pulls max), then shut off the choke. Usually fires up perfectly on the next pull. It has never run with the choke in the on position for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

km79 wrote:
    So just loosen the bolt , pop it out , replace with new and that's it ? There are no instructions worth talking about with it the strimmer !

To be honest I've no experience but I'd say it's handy enough to replace, just take your time. Probably some videos on YouTube that can guide you

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The strimmer would have come with a spark plug removal tool which looks something like this:

http://www.mcculloch.com/int/accessories/tools-and-other-accessories/spark-plug-wrench-tools/

Just unscrew it anti-clockwise, put in the new one, and tighten it, but don't over tighten. Replace the plastic cap, and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Fresh fuel would help. No need to throw away the old stuff; mix it in with the fresh when you get it going.
    Try cleaning the spark plug. Remove and give a the electrode end a good scrub with sandpaper. Don't close the plug gap.
    If replacing it, replace it with the same grade of plug. Don't over-tighten when re-fitting plug.

Fresh fuel would help. No need to throw away the old stuff; mix it in with the fresh when you get it going.
    Try cleaning the spark plug. Remove and give a the electrode end a good scrub with sandpaper. Don't close the plug gap.
    If replacing it, replace it with the same grade of plug. Don't over-tighten when re-fitting plug.
    Thanks for all the help guys
    I may need to purchase spark plug wrench tool . Didn't get one with strimmer , lawnmower or leaf blower !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

km79 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help guys
    I may need to purchase spark plug wrench tool . Didn't get one with strimmer , lawnmower or leaf blower !
    Spark plug removal tools come in at least 2 sizes make sure you buy the correct size.
    People have said don't over tighten, this generally means tighten by hand and then a quarter(sometime half) turn with a spanner(or the tool you buy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Spark plugs come in various lengths, thread diameters, electrode type and gap. Best to bring the old one to a hardware/garden tool shop and get one with the same dimensions and electrode gap. Brand is not important but the size and specs are. Be careful not to drop the spark plug in a way that may alter or close the electrode gap. An incorrect spark gap can cause running issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Could be lots of things.... damaged fuel lines, carb rebuild kit or just a carb tune a spark plug won't do any harm so start with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    No, spark plugs come in many varieties and you should take the one from your strimmer to your local motor factor who will supply one of the same make or the correct one from a different manufacturer. You could bring the entire strimmer so that they can supply you with the correct spark plug spanner.
    Your problem could be a blocked carbuerettor jet which could be remedied by your local lawnmower mechanic. Also, if the strimmer has been stored for a long time, e.g. over winter, with fuel in it, the fuel in the carb will have formed a gel which blocks the jets. The best preventative for this, when you have finished using the strimmer for the season, is to drain any fuel in the tank and then run it until the fuel in the carb runs out.
    Something I learned from my motorcycling days is that when you encounter starting problems caused by an ageing spark-plug, you can take out the plug and heat the electrode with a cigarette lighter or briefly on a cooker and put it back in as quick as you can and try starting again.
    One of the replies suggested hand-tightening the plug and then using the spanner to tighten it up a further quarter or half turn. This is far too tight! It is better, after hand tightening it, to only spanner-tighten just a tiny fraction more, just enough that it will not vibrate loose.

Finally got around to trying to sort this today as I hadn't needed it in meantime die to dire weather
    Was bringing into repair shop and I said I'd try and start it just in case .......started first time

Advertisement