Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coping financially with new job

Options
  • 06-07-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have finally landed a job after a hard search, I had been unemployed for the last 4 months.

I have found a job in Dublin and would be moving from my mothers house in the West but I am stressing as i've only been able to save about €1400(in cash, not in credit union) over the months to help facilitate any move I may have made.

The job is mediocre pay but has great prospects. The reason for the stress is that none of my family can help me financially and I don't think ill be able to save much more before my start date. Add to that it would be 6 weeks before my first pay day (2 weeks arrears, monthly pay and payroll falls on the second week).

Where I will be living renting a room within a reasonable distance averages €550-600 a month and obviously a months deposit. I will need 3 months rent due to the payroll falling in a bad place along with money for food and transport.

I would just like to ask how anyone else has done it? I've been tempted to look into getting a credit card(bad idea, I know) or something that will give me the funds I need to help me get by for the first few months. Is there any help I can look for from the state?

Sorry if the post is a little all over the place, my head is overwhelmed by it all. And, apologies if the post is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Maybe you could ask your new employer for an advance on your wages? I've been given an advance in a job before and was allowed repay it over a certain period of time. They may not do this but it's not unheard of, especially when payroll is monthly. It would be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Congrats on the job! Contact your local CWO and ask about an Exceptional Needs Payment. When I was in a similar position, I kept my state payment for the 4 weeks until I got paid, then paid it back. It is not advised so the CWO may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭muttnjeff

can you look to stay in 'digs' for the first two months with a family where you will pay weekly and be fed. Your savings will cover you and you wont need deposit. Then when you are paid you will be in a better position to look for a rental where you would have a deposit and lease etc?
    personally,I wouldnt ask a new employer for an advance.

look up collegecribs.ie

If, like muttnjeff, you would be reticent to ask for an advance (it's not ideal, I agree) perhaps, you could ask your bank for an overdraft? It mightn't be enough to cover extra month's rent but could be enough to make sure you don't starve while waiting to get your first month's wages.

Oh and congratulations on your new job - I wish you great success :-)

Go to credit union, explain situation, with €1400 lodged and you paying them back by direct debit I imagine they'd throw €3k at you.

Unless you never dealt with them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I would advise going to speak to your bank or credit union about a loan. Take a couple of grand over 2 or 3 years (to keep the monthly payment down) this will allow you to get on your feet, you can pay it back early once you get settled. The CU will most likely require you to lodge the funds you ah e and hold these until he loan is paid back so. And would be preferable

A possible drawback to the bank loan is you have to be six months working in your current job to be eligible (at least, that's the case with Ulster Bank) and unless he's already in the Credit Union he'll have to have something like 11 weeks of membership before they'll give out a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Get a credit card if your absolutely stuck. Obviously far from ideal, but not as crap as being unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How would you get a credit card on the dole? Highly unlikely that any bank would approve one?

Advertisement