Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant rh o negative need anti D and gynie refusing it

Options
  • 06-07-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Really confused today should have been a super day it was my first scan i heard the heart beat and saw my lil bean on the screen. However the gynaecologist just ripped that excitement away as I'm 9 weeks pregnant and he says I'm too late to get the anti d injection as I had an abortion 4 years ago and they never gave it to me afterwards. I was in a very dark place back then and felt the abortion was my only option, I can honestly say I've regretted it ever since it was an awful time for me. Can I insist that he gives it to me? He said it won't affect me but my blood could affect the babies and the outcome can be to lose the baby at any stage of the pregnancy to have a child with birth defects. I'm petrified. what should I do has anyone else had something similar to this. Also I asked about genetic testing on the baby and I'm too late for that too. How can this be possible I feel I'm going to a fake doctor. Is there a test I can take to check have I made the antibodies yet that could affect my baby. Please Help

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi marybridge,

Welcome to Boards. Sorry, but medical advice can't be provided here. All we can recommend is that you talk to your doctor or seek a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Hi Marybridge.

The immunoglobulins are normally given at 28 weeks, so first of all, you have plenty of time before there's likely to be a problem with this pregnancy, and in fact there's very little risk of there having been a problem back then anyway.

You can be tested for reactivity if you have any doubts, so there's really no reason for you to be left in suspense about it. Try not to stress too much about it, and definitely try to find another doctor who can discuss the situation in a more positive way than just saying it's too late.

It's not too late, you just may need to be tested before you can be sure what the best course of action is for you. Even in the worst case scenario, the baby just needs to be monitored for signs of anaemia, and may possibly require a blood transfusion. But the only real risk is if you're not tested and then properly monitored.

And I don't think there's a risk of birth defects, the risk is of your blood attacking the baby's. But as I say, that risk can be identified and treated. So yes, get a second opinion - or maybe just a nicer doctor.

And congratulations, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marybridge

Thank you so much I really appreciate the info I think I'll have to go to someone else to be sure. Thanks a million for your kind words and time spent replying
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Hi Marybridge.

The immunoglobulins are normally given at 28 weeks, so first of all, you have plenty of time before there's likely to be a problem with this pregnancy, and in fact there's very little risk of there having been a problem back then anyway.

You can be tested for reactivity if you have any doubts, so there's really no reason for you to be left in suspense about it. Try not to stress too much about it, and definitely try to find another doctor who can discuss the situation in a more positive way than just saying it's too late.

It's not too late, you just may need to be tested before you can be sure what the best course of action is for you. Even in the worst case scenario, the baby just needs to be monitored for signs of anaemia, and may possibly require a blood transfusion. But the only real risk is if you're not tested and then properly monitored.

And I don't think there's a risk of birth defects, the risk is of your blood attacking the baby's. But as I say, that risk can be identified and treated. So yes, get a second opinion - or maybe just a nicer doctor.

Thank you so much I really appreciate the info I think I'll have to go to someone else to be sure. Thanks a million for your kind words and time spent replying
    Hi Marybridge.

Hi Marybridge.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark I wasn't looking for medical advise I was hoping for a woman who may have been in a similar situation to me to reply. I will discuss my issues with the doctor thanks for your reply.
    Hi marybridge,

Welcome to Boards. Sorry, but medical advice can't be provided here. All we can recommend is that you talk to your doctor or seek a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

marybridge wrote: »

You're more than welcome, I don't have any personal experience of Rh- issues, being a boring O+ myself, but I did also wonder if you're sure that they didn't give you an injection of immunoglobulins? I know during my pregnancies and births quite a few things went on without me realizing, they don't always signal everything up, or maybe we're just too stressed to take it all in.

(The weirdest one was when I had my second child and I was waiting for them to stitch up the episiotomy, I was worrying about when someone was going to come and do it - finally I was told that I had been anaesthetized (General anaesthetic, as I hadn't had an epidural) and stitched up hours before, and I had no memory of any of that happening. Nor even of waking up - I thought I was awake all the time. So maybe they did the injection and you just don't remember?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a pregnancy forum here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1092

but as mentioned, stay away from anything that constitutes medical advice.

Advertisement