Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naked bike

• 06-07-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I am looking at buying my first bike and I have never riden on the motorway before or commuted to work but I did ibt and I am able to legally use it now. I have found a few options that I like which are yamaha mt 07, yamaha fz6 and kawasaki er6. I would use it for commuting from Kildare to Dublin and my route is on the m7 motorway. I am leaning towards the mt 07 because I really like the way it looks, but I have found that it is not recommended for using it on the motorway. Anyone experienced can tell me if I should get a naked bike or a bike with a fairing? I did ibt on suzuki bandit but had no chance to take it on the motorway and use it at motorway speeds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could get a smaller screen to help with wind - but ultimately the motorway is where naked bikes suffer over faired bikes.

See if you can get a spin on an MT07 and see how it feels before you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You won't legally be able to use the motorway till you have a full licence though.

Givi do after market screens and others.

Its totally up to you whether you like to commute on either but can be done and just get the proper gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use an XSR700 (MT07 variant) on a short (10 min) stretch of motorway/national road commute and its fine, although it's my first bike so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I actually enjoy being buffeted a bit, makes the experience more "engaging".

Screens can apparently make it worse if they direct all of the air pressure at your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get at least a half-faired bike, trust me. I do the same commute as you (M7) and have done it on a naked hornet in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I used to commute on the m4 on a cb400. It had an after market givi screen and to be honest it was fine. Some crazy blustery days did cause some alarm but nothing major. Don't let a naked bike put you off motorway usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I used to own a naked bandit. Its fine in good weather on the motorway. However on a wet cold day it can be a right pita.

I traded the bandit for a V strom 650 and havent looked back since.
    It's way more comfy and protects you from the elements. On hot days I can take off the windshield and have the windblast again.

Depending on your size I would also recommend the ER6F. It has a nice bit of power and is great value imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where in kildare and where in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Part of your decision will be based on the speeds you intend to do, the distances you'll be covering and the level of comfort you're after.
    If you want fast, a faired and dropped type bars would be a consideration but the trade off would be loss of comfort over distance. Conversely, if you want comfort you'll sacrifice some speed but at least when you arrive your backside won't be deader than disco!
    Try a few test rides if possible because even if your choice seems ideal on paper, the actual feel of it might not be what you're looking for.
    Oh and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi I am looking at buying my first bike and I have never riden on the motorway before or commuted to work but I did ibt and I am able to legally use it now. I have found a few options that I like which are yamaha mt 07, yamaha fz6 and kawasaki er6. I would use it for commuting from Kildare to Dublin and my route is on the m7 motorway. I am leaning towards the mt 07 because I really like the way it looks, but I have found that it is not recommended for using it on the motorway. Anyone experienced can tell me if I should get a naked bike or a bike with a fairing? I did ibt on suzuki bandit but had no chance to take it on the motorway and use it at motorway speeds.

wife has an er6-n great bike, it handles and revs and is fun to ride
    but id get a faired sports tourer if i was commuting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

MSVforever wrote: »
    I used to own a naked bandit. Its fine in good weather on the motorway. However on a wet cold day it can be a right pita.

I traded the bandit for a V strom 650 and havent looked back since.
    It's way more comfy and protects you from the elements. On hot days I can take off the windshield and have the windblast again.

Depending on your size I would also recommend the ER6F. It has a nice bit of power and is great value imo.

yeah the er6-f would be a good bike for commuting and hooning

• Advertisement
Advertisement