Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology Centre headed for old Victory Centre in Firhouse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Its a free world. They are entitled to spout their sh*te and we are entitled to warn people of this dangerous cult that preys on gullible people and takes their money with hogwash promises of multiplying their brain power or what have you.
    That's what freedom means. You can say anything you want and the rest of us l can expose it for the bulls*t it is.
    ... so you guys do only believe in freedom and respect for those whom ye agree with !!!
    ... which shows up the so-called 'respect for diversity' that the pseudo-liberals spout about is just a self-serving sham ... that they should be called out on, every time they say it!!!:)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You obviously disagree but I don't really think a highly litigious international cult whose history of criminality, harassment, threats and brainwashing is well documented is an ideal addition to a quiet residential suburb.
    If they're as highly litigious as you say ... you'd better have the documentation that backs up your claim in the rest of your post.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

J C wrote: »
    ... so you guys do actually only believe in freedom and respect for those who agree with ye !!!
    ... which shows up the so-called 'respect for diversity' that the pseudo-liberals spout about is just a self-serving sham ... that they should be called on, every time they say it!!!:)
    I believe in freedom and respect where one's personal superstitions are kept to oneself.

In the case of an organisation such as Scientology, whose sole purpose is to entice the vulnerable in order to take financial advantage, well, yeah. I have a problem with that. I don't think it should be allowed. For the same reason we don't allow pyramid investment schemes. For, in fact, exactly the same reason. And more.

Edit: As a side note... Do you really have such a problem with rational thinking that you'll defend any spiritual/religious freedom? Where do you stand on the church of Satan? A great bunch of lads, and great craic, by all accounts. If I was to pull the piss out of the auld satanicologists, would you have an issue with that? C'mon. A show of solidarity. All together now.... 'Hail Satan'. Join in once you get the lyrics down. :D

Sounds unlikely due to our location, small population and the fact they've been trying to establish themselves here for years but never really got off the ground. They have far bigger operations elsewhere.

And J C you're not fooling anyone with your shtick.
    I'm a true liberal supporting everyone's right to believe what they wish ... unlike the pseudo-liberals who are only tolerant of people who agree with them.:)

They are rabidly intolerant of those with whom they disagree ... one only has to look at the pseudo-liberals over in America ... and their irrational hatred of Trump ... to see that all their posturing and posing as 'liberals' was a load of self-serving baloney ... and it 'fell at the first fence' ... when it was tested by Trump !!!

It seems to be the same here in Ireland ... and after nearly two decades of uninterrupted and merciless attacks on the RCC, the pseudo-liberals now seem to be itching to go after Tom Cruise and his friends.
    ... and make no mistake ... all Christians are also on their 'bucket list'!!!

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    I believe in freedom and respect where one's personal superstitions are kept to oneself.
    That's a pretty puny freedom ... the freedom to shut up or be shut up ... sounds like the 'freedom' that dictators bestow on their enemies ... just before they have them shot !!!:(
    In the case of an organisation such as Scientology, whose sole purpose is to entice the vulnerable in order to take financial advantage, well, yeah. I have a problem with that. I don't think it should be allowed. For the same reason we don't allow pyramid investment schemes. For, in fact, exactly the same reason. And more.
    Pyramid investment schemes are fraudulent and therefore illegal. If you know the Scientologists are doing something illegal then report them to the Gardai ... and be done with it ... but please don't come onto a public forum making unsubstatiated prejudicial allegations unless you are prepared to substantiate them. Nobody has the right to take away anybodies good name, just because they don't like what they believe in.
    Edit: As a side note... Do you really have such a problem with rational thinking that you'll defend any spiritual/religious freedom? Where do you stand on the church of Satan? A great bunch of lads, and great craic, by all accounts. If I was to pull the piss out of the auld satanicologists, would you have an issue with that? C'mon. A show of solidarity. All together now.... 'Hail Satan'. Join in once you get the lyrics down. :D
    Freedom of religion ... means just that ... and if you want to Hail Satan, I respect your right to do so ... just like if you want to smoke or engage in any other life-limiting activity ... I'm not going to stand in your way ... althought the pseudo-liberals will probably get around to jailing you for smoking, if they get their illiberal control-freak way on this, as well !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

....... wrote: »

Putting a lot of words in peoples' mouths there. Nobody suggested "the area is going to become Clearwater". And nobody is "panicking" either, as you earlier suggested.

Rather than being asleep and/or apathetic, we are just people who are concerned that there are people out there who are vulnerable to these organisations. Information is healthy. That's it. Then come what may.

Your devil's advocate stance is already a bit tedious. Interesting, you say yourself that "I never said they were harmless. In fact I think religion is a horribly dangerous and evil entity in this world. And the Church of Scientology ranks up there alright."

Sure isn't that all we're saying? Right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Bollix. That's about 10 minutes walk from me here. :(

Not to worry. If you sign up, give all your property and 80% of all future income to the church, attend and pass all recommended courses and follow all the principles of Dianetics then Xenu will provide you with your personal space warp to reduce your travelling time to zero.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pyramid investment schemes are fraudulent and therefore illegal. If you know the Scientologists are doing something illegal then report them to the Gardai ... and be done with it ...

If they didn't call what they are doing 'religion' it would be judged illegal already or laws would be changed far quicker.

But they're not alone in using the cloak of 'religion' to shield themselves from the consequences of exploitative, immoral, and deeply distasteful behaviour.

Your posts are sadly predictable J C - cloak anything with the wrapper of 'religion' and it's a magic shield against criticism in your eyes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

If they didn't call what they are doing 'religion' it would be judged illegal already or laws would be changed far quicker.
    But they're not alone in using the cloak of 'religion' to shield themselves from the consequences of exploitative, immoral, and deeply distasteful behaviour. Your posts are sadly predictable J C - cloak anything with the wrapper of 'religion' and it's a magic shield against criticism in your eyes.
    Equally predictable reply, to be fair. Any chance of some sort of substantiation for the notion that if they didn't call what they are doing 'religion' it would be judged illegal already or laws would be changed far quicker? Or should we simply assume that as usual call anything 'religion' and it's a call to arms for unfounded criticism in your eyes? There are swathes of valid criticisms of the Church of Scientology... the above gives the impression you didn't even bother to look for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Can't stand Scientology at all.

But I'll gladly defend their freedom to purchase any property they want.

And, if they break the law, then I hope the Gardai take appropriate action - as I would expect them to do so against any organisation, religious or not, that acts illegally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    ... which shows up the so-called 'respect for diversity' that the pseudo-liberals spout about is just a self-serving sham ... that they should be called out on, every time they say it!!!:)
    At this point, as has been pointed out frequently, and most recently yesterday, you've been afforded every freedom to propagate your views, but can't seem to stop yourself from claiming to be persecuted.

At this point, and given the tone of your above post - to pick but one of many recent ones - I don't believe that there is any reasonable purpose which could therefore be served by seeing you post in A+A outside of the creationism thread, so your friendly moderator team are now requesting you politely to restrict your posts in A+A to that thread alone. The creationism thread is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056883606

Thanking youze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

As a Christian I wouldn't want to see another cult established here.
    Its refreshingly honest of you to put it like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

”Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill… (Scientology is) the world’s largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy.”

–Justice Anderson, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

... so you guys do only believe in freedom and respect for those whom ye agree with !!!

"An it harm none, do as ye will".

Scientology is harmful. Objectively harmful. It is set up as a scam. To even equate it to Christianity is a grave insult to Christianity. My opinions of Catholicism and the scams that various Christian churches have pulled are irrelevant as I can accept that the basic tenets behind it are good and well-meaning (all the fluff around it is the bullsh*t prejudices of humans throughout its history wropt in control techniques so there's plenty of harm there to disapprove of anyway). Scientology has pretty much no redeeming features whatsoever. It is a "religion" of parting people from their money and destroying their mental faculties to keep milking the cash cow until it can be dumped. No, I don't want this cult of greed that preys on the vulnerable setting up their scamquarters in Dublin. Oddly enough, I don't like to see scam artists being welcomed and accepted to hurt people even if the "free speech" advocates insist I must or be a hypocrite. Hell with that. I have a working mind and I can draw my line where I wish. I draw it at Scientology.

Never agreed with the "you must be at the outer fringes of any given debate" appeal to prevention of hypocrisy. That's the variety of "open-mindedness" that leads to one's brain falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nwoga Chukwuebuka Paschal, an African recruit for the Dublin centre, posted on Facebook that he had signed a five-year contract.
    Interesting. Scientology don't do anything which isn't deliberate. Why an African recruit rather than a white, native English speaker?

There's a large African community in the West Dublin area, from Firhouse to Blanch. I wonder if they're going to focus more on converting them than aiming for the Irish?

Though at the same time, a Facebook search for the above name reveals a Catholic missionary in Ghana, so I'd wonder about the accuracy of the Dublin Live article.

seamus wrote: »
    Though at the same time, a Facebook search for the above name reveals a Catholic missionary in Ghana, so I'd wonder about the accuracy of the Dublin Live article.
    He shows up as a Nigerian NGO operative who spent some time in Ghana.
    That would fit.
    Scientology seem to have done well getting this place for €6M if it was valued at twice that a few years ago, when the other wackos had it.

• Advertisement

All both groups are interested in is separating fools from their money, so why not cooperate?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

don't worry Michael Moriarty (head of ETB) is on the case https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scientologists-target-schoolchildren-m0sv2xgk3
    Michael Moriarty, general secretary of the ETBI, said he became aware the Foundation for a Drug-Free World was a Scientology-backed group two weeks ago, when Newstalk reported on its presence at the TY Expo.

“We had a contract because they paid for a stand,” said Moriarty. “There were no children at this conference. They are all adults. What should I do? They are against drugs and I’ve no problem with that. I checked it with people and they were reasonably positive about them.

Church of Scientology invite local reps to visit ahead of Victory Centre opening http://www.echo.ie/news/article/church-of-scientology-invite-local-reps-to-visit-ahead-of-victory-centre-opening
    “I will be asking how the community centre will be run completely separate of the church, how it will run as a stand-alone community facility.”
    its not a communtiy facility its private operation

“We had a contract because they paid for a stand,” said Moriarty. “There were no children at this conference. They are all adults. What should I do? They are against drugs and I’ve no problem with that. I checked it with people and they were reasonably positive about them.

Fcuking eejit.

In fairness, the idea of a standalone/integral community centre is nothing new. Its a fairly standard practice in this country, which allows a religion to recruit and control the community.
    Go to any small town and you'll find a community centre, parish GAA club, primary school and church, all overlapping each other and having some very blurred boundaries.

recedite wrote: »
    In fairness, the idea of a standalone/integral community centre is nothing new. Its a fairly standard practice in this country, which allows a religion to recruit and control the community.
    the problem is pretending this is not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

NOW LADS! let me just clear things up for you all. There was this bloke called XENU ,right? an intergalatic warrior right? and one day he decided "**** this!" and thrun loadsa alien blokes into VOLCANOES , ONLY FOR THEM TO EMERGE AND STICK TO OUR BODIES.

Now, the thing is that - and I SWEAR im not bull****tin - youre gonna need to do a few courses to get these alien lads off ye ok? Just pop down to the bank tomorrow and see how youre fixed for 10k.

and dont forget - free speech is brilliant and all but if your family and mates don't believe in Xenu, the best thing is to completely dismantle any relationship you have with them, ok?

and just in case ye need any further reason to believe that this is a healthy set up - watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBZ_uAbxS0

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

ADuJfZu.jpg

oKIgwSZ.jpg

6bTawbw.jpg

KRPmkIR.jpg

NnRCYP4.jpg

Brilliant photos.
    Not quite sure what is happening there, but it looks like a Klingon spaceship has been captured by the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think we've just seen the Irish equivalent of blackface.

Advertisement