Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have cherry tree in my garden?!

Options
  • 06-07-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've only been living in my house around six months, the garden is quite big and in several sections around the house so I'm still discovering new things!

Today I was turning my compost and I thought I saw a cherry (but on its own?!)

So I had a good look at the tree beside the compost bin and I found a good few single (what looks like!) cherry fruits and a few normal 'pairs of cherries'

Is it a cherry tree?!
    It's quite tall, around 20-25 feet but not very wide.. it's in a bizarre place that doesn't get a whole heap of sun/light.. the top of it is growing over the roof (bungalow flat roof) so I really need to cut it.

Ahhh this garden, never ceases to amaze me...if it is a cherry tree :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes its a cherry. Though it could be a wild cherry in which case the fruit will probably not be up to much. If you are going to prune it, do it now as they are susceptible to disease if pruned in the dormant season (best not to prune at all if you can avoid it).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No Prunus..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

looksee wrote: »
    Yes its a cherry. Though it could be a wild cherry in which case the fruit will probably not be up to much. If you are going to prune it, do it now as they are susceptible to disease if pruned in the dormant season (best not to prune at all if you can avoid it).

There isn't a whole amount of fruit on it, very little. But still lovely to see a few pairs :)
    Will look into how to pruning it now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Birds eat the fruits (they don't mind sourness) and they excrete the seeds, which can germinate in all sorts of odd corners.
    The roots of cherries are liable to sucker, too, if the plant is cut. So think this through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement