Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJI Phantom 3 SE Wifi FPV RC Quadcopter EUR460 incl shipping @Tomtop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Is anyone else having the jello issue or is it just me?

Shooting at 4K 30FPS today when it is relatively calm and although most of my footage has no jello it is still showing up in bits and parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Jlayay wrote:
    Shooting at 4K 30FPS today when it is relatively calm and although most of my footage has no jello it is still showing up in bits and parts.

Jlayay wrote:
    Is anyone else having the jello issue or is it just me?

Strange, I had some jello today too, haven't experienced it apart from windy days at high speed. I'm flying the Xiaomi mi 4k drone at 4k 30fps. It was pretty calm for me too, just had a firmware update, did DJI have any recent updates?

tedpan wrote: »
    Strange, I had some jello today too, haven't experienced it apart from windy days at high speed. I'm flying the Xiaomi mi 4k drone at 4k 30fps. It was pretty calm for me too, just had a firmware update, did DJI have any recent updates?

Updated the firmware last week.

Jlayay wrote:
    Updated the firmware last week.

Weird, I'll see how I get on next flight. I'll try 1440p at 60FPS and 1080p 30/60FPS also to see if there is still jello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Home for the next few days, is a boat in Portumna.

The sun was shining, so had to get the mavic up into the air.

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Finally got around to having a play with the Phantom 3 SE today. Very impressed for what is their budget drone. Short clip below at around sunset today. Camera on standard settings (in 1080p, 25fps) and no color correction. Cant wait to play around a bit more with it. Might have to invest in some more batteries :D

Had a near miss today with my SE. Thing was 100m up and the DJI go app completely disconnected and would not reconnect. Thankfully I was flying in a park-space and had line of sight and was able to land manually.

Jlayay wrote: »
    Had a near miss today with my SE. Thing was 100m up and the DJI go app completely disconnected and would not reconnect. Thankfully I was flying in a park-space and had line of sight and was able to land manually.

Do the phantoms not have a RTH button on the controller?

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Do the phantoms not have a RTH button on the controller?

Nope, there are switches at the top to switch between flight modes but not specialized RTH button. It was supposed to RTH upon losing signal but didn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Nope, there are switches at the top to switch between flight modes but not specialized RTH button. It was supposed to RTH upon losing signal but didn't do it.

The phantom 3S i used have- did a RTH when you toggle the upper switch on and off a few times.
    Might be the same with SE. Powering off the controller should do a rth also if its not responding- i had do this once when Litchi App crashed and the remote wouldnt respond at all.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Tzardine wrote: »
    Finally got around to having a play with the Phantom 3 SE today. Very impressed for what is their budget drone. Short clip below at around sunset today. Camera on standard settings (in 1080p, 25fps) and no color correction. Cant wait to play around a bit more with it. Might have to invest in some more batteries :D

By the way, that's a very nice scenery you have around you sir!

I've done quite a few shots of the drone flying back to me but I didn't publish them after seeing peeps say they didn't want their house location known. Is that info encoded in these videos does anyone know?
    I thought my shot was pretty cool to be brutal honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Midnight Sky

I got my Phantom DJI 3 SE the on Monday but still haven't got a chance to get it up. My weather at the weekend looks windy and wet. :(

Wow. First flight. It's great. Really happy with it! Video quality on the microsd is just super and I haven't even looked at adjusting the settings.

Awesome.

smokingman wrote: »
    Is that info encoded in these videos does anyone know?

You can - but its off by default - when you enable "captioning" the gps location is recorded as a separate .srt file, not in the video anyway -
    the GPS coordinates appear then as subtitles on the video when watched in VLC media player.
    Its used when you want to do something fancy - like overlay a proposed 3D Buildings model over a drone video as it moves in real time.

“Roll it back”

Did a test flight in the parking lot. Stopping and elevating/rising seems to make the jello issue (somewhat) appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Did a test flight in the parking lot. Stopping and elevating/rising seems to make the jello issue (somewhat) appear?

Just a thought. When my 3SE arrived one of the white rubber shock absorbers on the gimball was not situated properly. (It was not in at all actually)

Just check that the four of them are located properly, with pins in two of them (diagonally across). Do not put 4 pins in. This can cause vibration too.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Just a thought. When my 3SE arrived one of the white rubber shock absorbers on the gimball was not situated properly. (It was not in at all actually)

Just check that the four of them are located properly, with pins in two of them (diagonally across). Do not put 4 pins in. This can cause vibration too.

The plastic pins are diagonally across. The drone seems to vibrate in the beginning but gradually gets smoother as I fly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CorEire

The plastic pins are diagonally across. The drone seems to vibrate in the beginning but gradually gets smoother as I fly more.

Could just be a badly balanced prop. If you don't have a prop balancer, try changing them out 1 by 1 with the spares that you got with the phantom.
    I've only had a chance to do a few short videos with mine so far but haven't noticed any jello in any of them.

This is my first drone I'm really enjoying it (Phantom 3 SE). Flew it 3000 ft away this evening - no bother to it - transmission signal was great (5.8GHz).

I've been taking the gently gently approach but I'll go for 6000 ft or more this week.

Earlier today I was flying at an elevation of about 200ft and I had a near run in with a hawk/kite that took interest in it. I calmly watched (cough...panicked) as it circled the drone/food about 10 times :eek: . Luckily it decided that the Phantom wasn't a tasty morsel and if flew off to find something else to prey on. :cool:

• Advertisement

Earlier today I was flying at an elevation of about 200ft and I had a near run in with a hawk/kite that took interest in it. I calmly watched (cough...panicked) as it circled the drone/food about 10 times . Luckily it decided that the Phantom wasn't a tasty morsel and if flew off to find something else to prey on.

Any footage, would love to see that!
    I've been taking the gently gently approach but I'll go for 6000 ft or more this week.

Nice, I flew 2kms(6500 feet) down the beach this morning, no transmission issues at all with my Mi Drone.

Loving these quads!

Any footage, would love to see that!

Nice, I flew 2kms(6500 feet) down the beach this morning, no transmission issues at all with my Mi Drone.

Loving these quads!

Unfortunately the camera was pointing straight down and I didn't manage to get it! I've double checked my footage. I was slightly panicked and didn't think to change the camera angle. However it is always around this area so I wouldn't be surprised if I meet him again.

Yeah I must hit a beach up with the drone especially as we might be getting an Indian summer this week too.

Shot some footage around Shandon Bells a couple days back.

Anyone know the best photo editing software to handle the .DNG format? (That's raw isn't it?).
    I'm trying to export an edited photo in that format and just get tiny little images instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone know the best photo editing software to handle the .DNG format? (That's raw isn't it?).
    I'm trying to export an edited photo in that format and just get tiny little images instead :(

I do not know about best, but i think Picasa Google Photos does a decent job of editing them. https://picasa.google.com/

Adobe also have a free DNG editor http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

I do not know if all of these codes still work (I was waiting for Tomtop to reply to an email i sent using below method), and i left them in USD as sometimes it can work out cheaper than the exchange rate.

This is worth trying (I have heard it has worked for some).
    After you have entered the code, and clicked "Proceed to checkout"

- in the "Leave a Message" field write: "Hello, I am based in Europe, please help me choose a tax-free shipping method."

You could also mention boards.ie as the site that you are coming from, and it may help get more items with prepaid tariffs in the future, via boards.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0060eu.html TT0060 DJI Mavic Pro Foldable Obstacle Avoidance Drone $1129.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0087us.html TT0087 DJI Mavic Pro with 13 in 1 Accessories RC Part Kit $1169
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0081eu.html TT0081 DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo with Hardshell Backpack $1269.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0084eu.html TT0084 DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo with 13 in 1 Accessories RC Part Kit $1389
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0077.html TT0077 Original DJI Mavic Pro Front/Back Left/Righ Motor Arms set $109.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0078.html TT0078 14 in 1 Accessories RC Part Kit for DJI Mavic Pro FPV RC Quadcopter $164.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0104us.html TT0104 DJI Phantom 3 SE with Shockproof Hardshell Backpack $599.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0103us.html TT0103 DJI Phantom 3 SE with 2 Extra 4500mAh 15.2V 4S Intelligent Flight Battery(2 Extra Battery Not Original Battery) $639.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0105us.html TT0105 DJI Phantom 3 SE & Shockproof Hardshell Backpack & 2 Extra Battery(2 Extra Battery Not Original Battery) $689.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c-rm0106us.html TT0106 DJI Phantom 4 Pro & DJI Goggles Dual 5in 3840 * 1080 FPV 3D VR Glasses $1909.99
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm7656eu.html TTINSPIRE2 DJI Inspire 2 Avoidance Drone FPV RC Quadcopter without Camera $3099
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm8849.html TTX4S Original DJI ZENMUSE X4S 20MP 4K 1'' CMOS 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Camera $649
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm8850.html TTX5S Original DJI ZENMUSE X5S 20.8MP 5.2K 4/3” CMOS 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Camera $1899

• Advertisement

Thanks- any code for a spark flymore kit?

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Thanks- any code for a spark flymore kit?

The lowest i have seen it is also in Tomtop (but i think that it is because they are doing a massive DJI promo) I will look around some more.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm8000w-us.html DJI Spark RC Quadcopter Fly More Combo - RTF $699 (€587) Tariffs paid
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm8000bl-us.html

Edited

Slightly cheaper on Zapals https://www.zapals.com/dji-spark-fly-more-combo-mini-wifi-selfie-drone-gesture-control-12mp-camera.html
    $675 (€575)

But i do not believe that they pay the VAT.

What's the best signal output (ref the mavic controller) to go with here in Europe does anyone know?

I had mine across some fields the other evening, very little obstruction by way of trees or building's, and it started to get patchy/laggy signal to the phone after a few thousand foot

In contrast I've sent it more than 3000ft in the opposite direction (where it's nowhere near as open, with trees and building's etc) with zero lag at all.

Just wondering if I.changed the signal output, would it address these issues.

This is my first drone I'm really enjoying it (Phantom 3 SE). Flew it 3000 ft away this evening - no bother to it - transmission signal was great (5.8GHz).

Earlier today I was flying at an elevation of about 200ft and I had a near run in with a hawk/kite that took interest in it. I calmly watched (cough...panicked) as it circled the drone/food about 10 times :eek: . Luckily it decided that the Phantom wasn't a tasty morsel and if flew off to find something else to prey on. :cool:

My Phantom 3 SE controller flipped from 2.4Ghz to 5.8Ghz which greatly affected the range. I did not consciously change it myself. Anyway I just switched it back to 5.8Ghz. Perhaps though your issue is different.

Tomtop had a coupon a few weeks ago that brought it to anout 500.
    Bangood had it for close to that but no vat

Re frequency- ive found the lower the band/frequency the better.
    5ghz would be better in environments that have an already crowded wifi though.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

I stand corrected! Thanks I've looked into this further.

I think the code was TTSPARKC140 (it knocked $140 off).

Both of the above links are now 404 pages, so i am guessing that they are about to do another promotion (possibly the last before Christmas).

Anyone with a mavic notice the accuracy of the return to home feature gone to the dogs since the latest firmware update, or is it something im doing wrong?

Used to be my mavic got to within a few inches from where it took off from, but lately it's being off by feet. Lots of feet.

Anyway. I was on site today with a client, when do you think decided to make an appearance in a drone off his own?

None other than Larry "Maith an Fear".

So got my bird up in the air to get a few shots of his. :D

Anyway. I was on site today with a client, when do you think decided to make an appearance in a drone off his own?

None other than Larry "Maith an Fear".

So got my bird up in the air to get a few shots of his. :D

Yeah he is goodman alright. I have seen his bird up close.

Getting slowly better at the video settings and editing....long road to go before I'm any good at it though.
    Using point-of-interest a lot these days btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭arek_s

Getting slowly better at the video settings and editing....long road to go before I'm any good at it though.
    Using point-of-interest a lot these days btw...

bit overexposed in some scenes... did you try manual settings?
    I'm looking for ND filter that will suit 3 SE, do you use any of them?

arek_s wrote: »
    bit overexposed in some scenes... did you try manual settings?
    I'm looking for ND filter that will suit 3 SE, do you use any of them?

Haven't got to full manual exposure setting yet - still learning about that.
    I had an nd-4 filter on that flight.

smokingman wrote:
    Getting slowly better at the video settings and editing....long road to go before I'm any good at it though. Using point-of-interest a lot these days btw...

Class mate!

Had a close call with mine yesterday, sent it off on a long distance flight over the lakes, but didn't take the wind on the way back into consideration.

I had about 23% battery when it landed.

I was touching cloth.

Had a close call with mine yesterday, sent it off on a long distance flight over the lakes, but didn't take the wind on the way back into consideration.

I had about 23% battery when it landed.

I was touching cloth.
    Had two instances of the mavik losing connection yesterday only about 10 metres away. Happened just after the latest update and even though it was over a field, I was still crapping it!
    It's terrifying owning these things at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭kod12

Is there anything comparable to the Mavik pro out there in terms of transportability and size? Most of the competitors are ones that cant fold up into a back pack for travelling.

Cheers in Advance

kod12 wrote: »
    Is there anything comparable to the Mavik pro out there in terms of transportability and size? Most of the competitors are ones that cant fold up into a back pack for travelling.

Cheers in Advance

The DJI Spark is slightly smaller?
    The GoPro Karma was supposed to be a contender - but even the re-released version isnt getting great reviews

There are plenty of tiny racing drones as well - depends on what you want it for I guess.

“Roll it back”

for 4k and HD Video mainly and stable shots. was looking at the spark but the reviews said the gimble wasn't stable and a bit shakey in the wind

kod12 wrote: »
    for 4k and HD Video mainly and stable shots. was looking at the spark but the reviews said the gimble wasn't stable and a bit shakey in the wind

Why not get a Mavic - seems to meet all the specifications you mention?

“Roll it back”

I just saw this on FNAC, it is a great price, but unfortunately they do not ship outside France for this item.
    https://www.fnac.com/Drone-Parrot-Disco-Skycontroller-2-Cockpit-Glasses/a10004467/w-4

So if anyone has relatives or friends in France, this is a superb deal. Alternatively, you could get a Ryanair €9.99 flight over :rolleyes:..
    Or use one of these services
    Airnshop
    BPM Parcel Station

I estimated Airnshop to add roughly €30 to the price, but i could be wrong (€21 Laposte + €10 handling).
    4.8kg according to Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parrot-Skycontroller-Cockpit-Glasses-minutes-WHITE/dp/B01JYRII4Y
    Some advertising videos on the amazon link also.

Why not get a Mavic - seems to meet all the specifications you mention?

Would love to get the Mavik just not in my budget so was hoping there was a comparable one for slightly less but still compact enough to carry in a backpack

kod12 wrote:
    Would love to get the Mavik just not in my budget so was hoping there was a comparable one for slightly less but still compact enough to carry in a backpack

Get the spark. It's fine in the wind

Get the spark. It's fine in the wind

There's always this new GDU 02 that'll be cheaper than the Mavic and almost a direct competitor:
    https://www.wetalkuav.com/gdu-02-plus/

Anyone get any shots of that epic moonrise yesterday evening? Sadly I was home too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Just a cautionary note for anyone dealing with Tomtop.
    I received my initial drone shipment, no problem, all happy.
    I then made a further order for a battery and a few other bits on 27th July.
    I never received this order and they have been as unhelpful as possible, sending me tracking numbers that show no information apart from "shipped".
    I contacted them numerous times, receiving nonsense, generic, please wait replies.
    I am trying to get my money back via Paypal, but I figured a cautionary note here may be advisable for people placing large orders. I certainly would never deal with this company again.

Advertisement