Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJI Phantom 3 SE Wifi FPV RC Quadcopter EUR460 incl shipping @Tomtop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

seannash wrote: »
    For anyone interested here is some spark footage. Please ignore the cheesey ending.
    All edited through the dji app which was a bloody nightmare so if you ever are doing something similar avoid it as the edits are very very hard to get precisely lined up with music (Turn on the sound to hear what I mean) and it limits you to 20 clips.

You might havw to change the settings in your Youtube app if your playing it on your phone as i think most phones play it back at 480p

Congratulations to you guys, lovely video. Backup it up carefully, it years ahead you both
    and your kid with love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

When editing your footage did you first download the original videos from the deone or did you edit the ones that were saved by the Go app?

I don’t know what phone have you got but on Iphone you could use Filmora Go and Imovie to name 2 to edit the footage and export in 1080p.

Yep, downloaded off the SD card before editing. It seems its just a limitation of the app. I read up on Filmora so I might give it a shot, just need new footage to work with I suppose.

I may just download all footage to my laptop and work with it in there to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

seannash wrote:
    I may just download all footage to my laptop and work with it in there to be honest

Yeah, I use the pc for editing, lucky the spark doesn't go to 4k, it's a bitch to edit. I do everything in 1080p.

Anyway, I used to use Windows movie editor until I upgraded my laptop and Microsoft stopped supporting it so it's not downloadable anymore. Some guy is selling it for 30 quid, which is far too much for a basic editor.

There are lots of cloud based editing software packages available but I don't like paying a monthly subscription.

I'm using movavi video editor 11. Cost me 20euro. I think they have a new version out now. Does everything I need.

Good luck and thanks again for the awesome video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

For anyone thinking on the spark, go and get it! its a great little thing!!

I brought it over to Iceland 2 weeks ago and did a quick edit with the footage I took

Its so handy to pack and also doesn't attract a lot of attention when you put it up as its not as noisy as bigger drones or noticeable in the sky either.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭kod12

I brought it over to Iceland 2 weeks ago and did a quick edit with the footage I took

Its so handy to pack and also doesn't attract a lot of attention when you put it up as its not as noisy as bigger drones or noticeable in the sky either.

That footage is unreal. Was actually one of the main reasons I was looking for one. Heading to Iceland in easter. Where is the best place to buy one in Ireland or buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

TomTop advertising 13% off if you use PayPal

https://deal.tomtop.com/activity/20171101_paypal_and_tomtop_cooperation.html?_ga=2.48607717.211271186.1509971663-676194913.1509111225

Unclear if it's site wide or just the items listed. Was gonna push me over the edge to order the Mavic Pro (and chance TopCashBack for a further 8% off)

It's not working when I try checkout, and neither is a 5% voucher code they flash up whenever I visit the site. Anyone any idea what's up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

kod12 wrote: »
    That footage is unreal. Was actually one of the main reasons I was looking for one. Heading to Iceland in easter. Where is the best place to buy one in Ireland or buy online?

The flymore bundle with tomtop is what I went for and used top cash back to get an extra few quid off it, I wouldnt go for the drone on its own, the remote is extremely handy!!

Fanny **** wrote: »
    TomTop advertising 13% off if you use PayPal

https://deal.tomtop.com/activity/20171101_paypal_and_tomtop_cooperation.html?_ga=2.48607717.211271186.1509971663-676194913.1509111225

Unclear if it's site wide or just the items listed. Was gonna push me over the edge to order the Mavic Pro (and chance TopCashBack for a further 8% off)

It's not working when I try checkout, and neither is a 5% voucher code they flash up whenever I visit the site. Anyone any idea what's up?

Just tried the 5% on the Mavic and another item. Applied to the other item but not the Mavic

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Just tried the 5% on the Mavic and another item. Applied to the other item but not the Mavic

And as I was logged in they knew it was me so sent a 4% discount code to my email. Try use it - tells me the code has expired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

That is excellent footage. I literally did most of that in Iceland last year and spent the whole time saying I wish I had a drone. Now I've a Spark and cant wait to go back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Anybody else having a problem with the DJI Go app crashing consistently on MIUI (Android) since the update to MIUI 9? Never had a problem before the update. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, clearing cache etc. but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Jlayay wrote: »

Shot around Cork.

Altitude, location, airport, buildings, people, you really seem determined to get the authorities to crack down. You're flying barely outside the nofly zone for Cork Airport, right in the approach path for the main runway and over the same area that a single flight got drone flying some serious negative press just a few years ago.

Are you another of those individuals who'll willfully ruin the sport for everyone else or do you just need to do some reading up on regulations?

Check this out as an example of why the regulations were created:
    http://mashable.com/2017/11/06/candy-drone-crashes-japan/#ZEwAJheG7sqg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Suckit wrote: »
    I just saw this on FNAC, it is a great price, but unfortunately they do not ship outside France for this item.
    https://www.fnac.com/Drone-Parrot-Disco-Skycontroller-2-Cockpit-Glasses/a10004467/w-4

So if anyone has relatives or friends in France, this is a superb deal. Alternatively, you could get a Ryanair €9.99 flight over :rolleyes:..
    Or use one of these services
    Airnshop
    BPM Parcel Station

I estimated Airnshop to add roughly €30 to the price, but i could be wrong (€21 Laposte + €10 handling).
    4.8kg according to Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parrot-Skycontroller-Cockpit-Glasses-minutes-WHITE/dp/B01JYRII4Y
    Some advertising videos on the amazon link also.

Here you go at a similar massively reduced price from the more accessible Currys UK
    £449 while it's €1249 here

Amazing piece of fixed wing gear with a looong flight time but very fast (~50mph!) so quite a bit more challenging than a quadcopter but could fly amazing autonomous missions.
    - 45 min flying time, only takes 60 mins to recharge and you can wear the headset with glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Daibheid wrote: »
    Altitude, location, airport, buildings, people, you really seem determined to get the authorities to crack down. You're flying barely outside the nofly zone for Cork Airport, right in the approach path for the main runway and over the same area that a single flight got drone flying some serious negative press just a few years ago.

Are you another of those individuals who'll willfully ruin the sport for everyone else or do you just need to do some reading up on regulations?

Check this out as an example of why the regulations were created:
    http://mashable.com/2017/11/06/candy-drone-crashes-japan/#ZEwAJheG7sqg

To be fair most people are completely unaware of the restrictions on flying altitude outside of the 5km from airports. Large city centre locations such as Dublin and cork are restricted airspace and are
    Limited to 15m. Same with vast stretches of coastline. This is so that emergency services such as guards and coastguard can fly in these area without having to dodge unexpected drones! For details check out this IAA map and educate yourself.

https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Hi guys

I've great news on TomTop it's gone down to €455 delivered now for black Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭thunderbolt

Does anyone know where the best Mavic Pro deal is at the moment? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Does anyone know where the best Mavic Pro deal is at the moment? Thanks!

€772.14 @ www.gearbest.com if you pick the EU warehouse. That's the best price I can find right now. Currently deciding between a Mavic Pro or Spark.

foobar wrote: »
    €772.14 @ www.gearbest.com if you pick the EU warehouse. That's the best price I can find right now. Currently deciding between a Mavic Pro or Spark.

Thanks foobar. Very hesitant to buy from them as they took nearly two months to deliver a phone to me earlier this year. I was thinking about the Spark but from researching online, the video quality of the Mavic is much better (albeit more expensive!) Holding out for a good Mavic deal.

Thanks foobar. Very hesitant to buy from them as they took nearly two months to deliver a phone to me earlier this year. I was thinking about the Spark but from researching online, the video quality of the Mavic is much better (albeit more expensive!) Holding out for a good Mavic deal.

Remember, the 4k video that the mavic puts out is beautiful although you'll need a monster laptop or dedicated workstation to edit 4k. You'll need something with a decent i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 2GB graphics card, SSD at minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

For 4K - As well as the decent pc you will also need some decent 4K editing software - there doesn’t appear to be anything free on the pc that can edit in 4k.

Plenty of hd quality editors though - 1024p is still more than enough - you can edit somewhat on your tablet in 720p using the free dji software but i didn’t have much success with it.

When looking at the options - you should consider the spark package that includes the controller - it’s not great without it - and possibly the fly more Mavic also for the extra batteries.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

We just got a DJI Mavic.
    Tried to take off in a friends back yard in Rush and the damned thing says its restricted.
    So we went to the website and it looks like about 10km radius around Dublin airport is in the yellow circle that says its restricted.
    And also half of ireland is covered in the yellow circles.
    What a pain in the arse. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

These areas are restricted for good reason. Especially the ones 10k from airports.

There are plenty of areas that you can go to and enjoy the drone.

My understanding is that you can fly in the yellow areas once you accept something in the app. The red ones are a complete no go.

Edit : from DJI site

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Tzardine wrote: »
    These areas are restricted for good reason. Especially the ones 10k from airports.

There are plenty of areas that you can go to and enjoy the drone.

My understanding is that you can fly in the yellow areas once you accept something in the app. The red ones are a complete no go.

100%.also the yellow zones can change. example I live in bray and I can't fly when there is a football match on that day. Well unless I accept responsibility.
    To the poster that just got the mavic, download airmap on your phone and look at it before you go out. It will show you were you can and can't fly.
    If in a yellow zone click on the bar and it will tell you about the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yep. Already been said, ~ but just to chime in, the DJI app is very up to date/hour/minute. You can fly in the yellow area if you accept responsibility and you do not over extend that. It is mostly a warning so that you are aware of the restrictions and you are not irresponsible.
    I have a video in the yellow zone with my little brother in it, and while only a short video, i would not share it. My point is just to show the restrictions are removed easily in app.
    You can show (we do) on and off the area that you are flying in, within the recorded video.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Where is the best deal for one of these now

I think this might be the drone for me! Mavic Air being announced tomorrow (apparently)!!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/22/dji-mavic-air-drone-leak/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

I think this might be the drone for me! Mavic Air being announced tomorrow (apparently)!!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/22/dji-mavic-air-drone-leak/

I got a mail about that alright. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Maybe it's the dark mornings and dark evenings and having next to no time of using the thing, but I'm thinking of selling mine (mavic).

Got the fly more combo pack and purchased the refresh aftercare package too.

I'm worried that I'll regret it come the good weather again, but its definitely gathering dust as is.

Feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Maybe it's the dark mornings and dark evenings and having next to no time of using the thing, but I'm thinking of selling mine (mavic).

Got the fly more combo pack and purchased the refresh aftercare package too.

I'm worried that I'll regret it come the good weather again, but its definitely gathering dust as is.

Feedback?

Mine is gathering dust as well but I'm very far from selling it.

I was in a situation before where I sold my drone and was waiting for the delivery of a new one, worst 4 weeks since I got a drone. Couldn't wait to start flying again.

Especially with the Mavic's, they are so portable and quick to set up that I can't think of selling mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

New Mavic Air announced and it looks fiiiine....

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air?from=20180123live

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    New Mavic Air announced and it looks fiiiine....

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air?from=20180123live

If only it wasn't for the stupid limitations on the range with the wifi in Europe I would buy one.
    I know you can hack the spark but there will be a day when you can't have them to be equal to the version in the states.

We had a spark and sent it back because the range was awful. The video dropouts were terrible.
    So anyone thinking of buying one of the cheap Sparks that will inevitably be available after the mavic air announcement, just don't. Wait for something that uses a transmitter tech that doesn't get limited severely just because you live in the eu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

KellyXX wrote: »
    If only it wasn't for the stupid limitations on the range with the wifi in Europe I would buy one.
    I know you can hack the spark but there will be a day when you can't have them to be equal to the version in the states.

We had a spark and sent it back because the range was awful. The video dropouts were terrible.
    So anyone thinking of buying one of the cheap Sparks that will inevitably be available after the mavic air announcement, just don't. Wait for something that uses a transmitter tech that doesn't get limited severely just because you live in the eu.
    Was this with just your phone or with the remote

Any idea how much you're looking for?

I'm looking to know this too. I think it might be total range (even using the remote)? I've read there's a 500 metre range restriction in the EU. Is that true?

tedpan wrote: »
    Any idea how much you're looking for?

Mine is practically brand new, the same pack (minus the refresh aftercare package) is currently going for £1100 sterling on Amazon.

DJI CP.PT.000641 Mavic Pro Drone Combo Kit - Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY38V90/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xPpAAbJM85HY1

With that in mind, I reckon it's within reason to be aiming towards €950 or so. That's what I'd be wanting to be offered (ovn) to really consider parting with it.

I'd only regret selling it for less come the good weather again I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

I'm looking to know this too. I think it might be total range (even using the remote)? I've read there's a 500 metre range restriction in the EU. Is that true?

The spark using your phone as remote (WiFi) is very limited in range- 80m or so- it’s just for quick selfies.

There is no hard coded distance limit imposed in the hardware though- only local rules that vary from eu country to country.

I’d be looking at the Mavic Air rather than the spark though now...

“Roll it back”

The spark is limited to 500m in Europe but the air has a range of 2k (compared to 4K in US)

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs

With my iPhone in the remote and also with a s8 in the remote.

The range really is poxy, even out in the middle of nowhere.
    I was reading that when dji decided on the technology for the remote they didn't even realize that the eu would limit it on them. So they ended up producing a product that had acceptable range and then found that they had to limit it severely for Europe, ending up with awful range.
    If they had copped on earlier they could have used something.different than.the wifi they did use.

It says 500m, but with the phone the remote you will have major picture breakups at 300m and then lose it altogether at 350-400m.
    You can hack it at the moment ,to make it think it's in America, but what do you do when dji protect against that hack with new firmware. Then it's back to terrible range.
    As for the range without the remote and just the phone. Don't even bother trying it.

• Advertisement

The spark is limited to 500m in Europe but the air has a range of 2k (compared to 4K in US)

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs

Believe it if you see it :)

It says 500m, but with the phone the remote you will have major picture breakups at 300m and then lose it altogether at 350-400m.
    You can hack it at the moment ,to make it think it's in America, but what do you do when dji protect against that hack with new firmware. Then it's back to terrible range.
    As for the range without the remote and just the phone. Don't even bother trying it.

That kind of range puts it on par with something that can be picked up for a lot less.

Can't the parameters be charged from within the app?

For example I could (if wanted) remove the ceiling cap on my mavic from the app.

I'd certainly not be happy with that range,

That kind of range puts it on par with something that can be picked up for a lot less.

Can't the parameters be charged from within the app?

For example I could (if wanted) remove the ceiling cap on my mavic from the app.

I'd certainly not be happy with that range,

It's a great drone - if it had range, but the lack of range is a killer for it.
    You can change it with hacked apps, or.formware, but dji keep putting out updates to unhack them so you go out and you are back to terrible range again before you know it. eventually they will get it right and they won't be hackable at all ever.
    It's such a pity, because they would be a great little drone if they had of given then decent technology for control instead of what they have done that then gets reduced even more in Europe.

I suspect the mavic air uses the same technology and the boasts of better range will be limited more than they say in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I was all set to order a Mavic air until I came across this range issue :(

I was all set to order a Mavic air until I came across this range issue :(

Count yourself lucky.
    Most people found out the hard way that the range was stunted in Europe. And the worst thing is it's easily fixed by using the same transmitter tech as the normal mavic.

It's a great drone - if it had range, but the lack of range is a killer for it.
    You can change it with hacked apps, or.formware, but dji keep putting out updates to unhack them so you go out and you are back to terrible range again before you know it. eventually they will get it right and they won't be hackable at all ever.
    It's such a pity, because they would be a great little drone if they had of given then decent technology for control instead of what they have done that then gets reduced even more in Europe.

I suspect the mavic air uses the same technology and the boasts of better range will be limited more than they say in Europe.

I don't get it. My Mavic should be subject to the same restrictions that you list (imposed by dji) but I can comfortably get mine away beyond 4km if the notion took me.

Haven't had mine out in a while, but I could perform a range test later and post.results if you wish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Count yourself lucky.
    Most people found out the hard way that the range was stunted in Europe. And the worst thing is it's easily fixed by using the same transmitter tech as the normal mavic.

Do you think I'm as well going for the cheaper Spark so? Just want to have some flying fun and take some reasonable quality footage.

Do you think I'm as well going for the cheaper Spark so? Just want to have some flying fun and take some reasonable quality footage.

The spark is the one that suffers most from the European range issue. Google spark range in Europe.

I don't get it. My Mavic should be subject to the same restrictions that you list (imposed by dji) but I can comfortably get mine away beyond 4km if the notion took me.

Haven't had mine out in a while, but I could perform a range test later and post.results if you wish?

Mavic uses a different protocol to spark and mavic air. If they used the same protocol they would have the same range as the mavic.
    You on get a mavic air near even half the distance you get out of your mavic.

Going by what I am reading here, you'd be better looking at the Xiaomi drone in tedpans thread.

Seems to tick all the boxes for the price.

Believe it if you see it :)

ikr :). Still I do expect it to be alot better than 500m even if we don't get the quoted 2KM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement