Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Atlantic aside, why isn't HBO offering their services over here yet?

• 06-07-2017 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'd love to finally give The Wire a proper go. Or catch up on the latest Veep. Or have access to The Sopranos if I wanted a rewatch.

Does anyone know why HBO hasn't released a streaming service here yet?

I'd certainly give them a tenner a month for a few months to watch the above and Im sure others would too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

You can buy some of their series on the mircosoft store, stream or download True Detective, The Wire, Sopranos etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

RedTie wrote: »
    I'd love to finally give The Wire a proper go. Or catch up on the latest Veep. Or have access to The Sopranos if I wanted a rewatch.

Does anyone know why HBO hasn't released a streaming service here yet?

I'd certainly give them a tenner a month for a few months to watch the above and Im sure others would too.

I'm guessing Sky is the obvious answer. Edit... just fully read the title. But yeah it's probably just sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm guessing Sky is the obvious answer. Edit... just fully read the title. But yeah it's probably just sky.

Exactly. Sky offer HBO shows on their box sets for streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

How long are HBO and Sky in a contract for? How much are Sky giving them? Could Netflix/Amazon UK & Ireland beat Sky in price once the contract is up? These are the questions that need answers.

I just checked...the answer to the first question is 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How long are HBO and Sky in a contract for? How much are Sky giving them? Could Netflix/Amazon UK & Ireland beat Sky in price once the contract is up? These are the questions that need answers.

I just checked...the answer to the first question is 2020.

I'd be surprised if HBO would want Netflix or Amazon distributing their shows. They'd see them as their main competition, whereas Sky is mainly just a distributor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They short answer to the OPs question is that for as long as the Sky Atlantic deal lasts they are contractually prohibited from doing so.

Nor would I be paitently waiting for the deal to end, it lasts until 2020 but with Sky and HBO recently announcing a co-production deal it doesn't look like they'll be falling out anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'd be surprised if HBO would want Netflix or Amazon distributing their shows. They'd see them as their main competition, whereas Sky is mainly just a distributor.
    If Netflix Europe offered more money for their content than Sky though? Probably unlikely anyways, due to HBO and Sky co-producing stuff, but not impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

icdg wrote: »
    They short answer to the OPs question is that for as long as the Sky Atlantic deal lasts they are contractually prohibited from doing so.

Nor would I be paitently waiting for the deal to end, it lasts until 2020 but with Sky and HBO recently announcing a co-production deal it doesn't look like they'll be falling out anytime soon.

That's a shame. I'm sure I'm not the only person from Ireland who would happily spend a few quid with HBO. Sky must be giving them a truck load of money as Im sure HBO must know they could make a fortune in Europe with a streaming service.

Oh well, "other means" of viewing their shows (and not Sky) it will have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

HBO Nordic is about €9.50 a month.

No way Sky will want to lose HBO and with Sky now buying pan European rights after Sky UK, Germany & Italy having fully merged they have the money and I don't see it happening.

Also Sky and HBO are starting to co-produce together starting next year with a budget of $250m for new shows..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

HBO Nordic is about €9.50 a month.

Not available in Ireland though is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RedTie wrote: »
    Not available in Ireland though is it?

Not anymore at one time you could but you need a Nordic credit card now.

Advertisement