Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I pay?

Options
  • 06-07-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I'll keep it short but ask questions if you want.

A mistake by my old insurance company meant they never took my payment via direct debit for my car insurance for last year. we have 2 other dd for another car and for house insurance so we lost ourselves watching it.

anyways renewal comes up and I get a better deal elsewhere so I move but not after asking them to match or beat the alternative offer which they couldn't/refused to do so.

the paperwork from them was in the post at that stage so they ask me to return it marking it cancelled.

A few days later we get a demand letter asking for this years premium in full within 7 day or it would be sent to a debt collection agency.

We rang to find out the error mentioned above and their non existent attempts to contact us via one letter and 3 phone calls none of which my wife recalls. Their biggest line was "the first time you contacted us was on renewal" however in October we contacted them after we changed our car.

Anyways will the goody two shoes in me pay up or tell them to get lost? In the interest of fairness should I ask them to make a final settement considering its a fair whack of cash to cough up even if i pay it over a few months.

They admitted they made a mistake in not collecting my DD and that i was covered if anything happened but that its their mistake. Also they apoligised for the wording of the letter both in the wrong amount and the threat of the debt collection company. they also admitted that i'm within my rights to tell them to sing for it.

What should I do? take the chance for the simple man to get one over on the insurance company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You owe the money. Do whatever your concience is comfortable with. But just to let you know, Insurers do pursue these things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not for the first 12 months apparently....;)

And, by the looks of the OP's post the Company themselves have admitted that they are not going to chase it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I work in Insurance, we send letters said debt collection what ever, we do not hire a debt collection agency.
    They will post 2 letters and you won't hear from them again.

You will never be insured with them again though while the debt is outstanding.

How much are we talking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I work in Insurance, we send letters said debt collection what ever, we do not hire a debt collection agency.
    They will post 2 letters and you won't hear from them again.

You will never be insured with them again though while the debt is outstanding.

How much are we talking

The insurance for the year in question was €620 but they incorrectly quoted this year's premium of €690 on the letter they sent me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The insurance for the year in question was €620 but they incorrectly quoted this year's premium of €690 on the letter they sent me

Pay up.

• Advertisement

......... they also admitted that i'm within my rights to tell them to sing for it.........
    grogi wrote: »
    Pay up.

Despite the company themselves telling the OP that he is not liable for this amount you simply demand that he pays them. :rolleyes:
    It was their mistake, not his, that led to this situation. From the tone of your post you seem to be suggesting that the OP is somehow at fault here.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Despite the company themselves telling the OP that he is not liable for this amount you simply demand that he pays them. :rolleyes:
    It was their mistake, not his, that led to this situation. From the tone of your post you seem to be suggesting that the OP is somehow at fault here.

Never said such thing. It is only decent to pay for a service one used for a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Would it cost you more if they didn't give you your no claims bonus letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'll keep it short but ask questions if you want.

A mistake by my old insurance company meant they never took my payment via direct debit for my car insurance for last year. we have 2 other dd for another car and for house insurance so we lost ourselves watching it.

anyways renewal comes up and I get a better deal elsewhere so I move but not after asking them to match or beat the alternative offer which they couldn't/refused to do so.

the paperwork from them was in the post at that stage so they ask me to return it marking it cancelled.

A few days later we get a demand letter asking for this years premium in full within 7 day or it would be sent to a debt collection agency.

We rang to find out the error mentioned above and their non existent attempts to contact us via one letter and 3 phone calls none of which my wife recalls. Their biggest line was "the first time you contacted us was on renewal" however in October we contacted them after we changed our car.

Anyways will the goody two shoes in me pay up or tell them to get lost? In the interest of fairness should I ask them to make a final settement considering its a fair whack of cash to cough up even if i pay it over a few months.

They admitted they made a mistake in not collecting my DD and that i was covered if anything happened but that its their mistake. Also they apoligised for the wording of the letter both in the wrong amount and the threat of the debt collection company. they also admitted that i'm within my rights to tell them to sing for it.

What should I do? take the chance for the simple man to get one over on the insurance company.

If the tables were turned and you were asking the insurance company to "do the right thing" what do you think the response would be?

Do not pay.

Insurance is basically a scam. A scam based on fear supported by legislation.

Keep any correspondence in which they admitted not being due the money, but do not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I'm left wondering if you had crashed would they have claimed you hadn't payed and were not covered ?

Agree a settlement figure saying you don't have it available and its not your error..

• Advertisement

Pay up.
    It is only decent to pay for a service one used for a year...

See. Isn't the 2nd post a nicer way of giving an opinion :).

The OP never tried to avoid paying his Insurer. In fact, he assumed he was actually paying his Premium by DD. The Insurer f#@ked up by not taking the OP's money every month. That was not his fault.
    As already mentioned, if the OP had made a claim during the Year would the Insurer be looking for a way to avoid paying out ?
    We'll never know.....but the question will always be there.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    See. Isn't the 2nd post a nicer way of giving an opinion :).

I am not posting here looking for acclaim.
    The OP never tried to avoid paying his Insurer. In fact, he assumed he was actually paying his Premium by DD. The Insurer f#@ked up by not taking the OP's money every month. That was not his fault.

And the insurer realised they made a mistake, apologised and asked the OP to pay. Did they OP paid - no. Should she/he pay? Yes.
    What else should the insurer do? Throw a Bee Gees single with the renewal package?
    As already mentioned, if the OP had made a claim during the Year would the Insurer be looking for a way to avoid paying out ?
    We'll never know.....but the question will always be there.

Of course, they always do that. Even if one has a completely valid and paid insurance. But if it was proven that it wasn't OPs fault, they would have no ground to stand on.

I am not posting here looking for acclaim.
    No, you never are. ;)

And the insurer realised they made a mistake, apologised and asked the OP to pay. Did they OP paid - no. Should she/he pay? Yes.
    What else should the insurer do? Throw a Bee Gees single with the renewal package?
    Did you even read the 1st post Grogi.
    "A few days later we get a demand letter asking for this years premium in full within 7 day or it would be sent to a debt collection agency."
    This was the first the OP heard about the problem. not much of an apology really, is it ?

Of course, they always do that. Even if one has a completely valid and paid insurance. But if it was proven that it wasn't OPs fault, they would have no ground to stand on.
    But yet your 1st post here (over a week after the Thread started) was simply "Pay up".

....and 'unfollow'

Would it cost you more if they didn't give you your no claims bonus letter?

we got the NCB letter as part of the renewal package as is required this last few years.

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I'm left wondering if you had crashed would they have claimed you hadn't payed and were not covered ?

Agree a settlement figure saying you don't have it available and its not your error..

That was the very first question I asked which was answered that I was because it was their fault and that it fell through the cracks for a few months before anyone noticed. But it always will be a "what if"

They also claimed that because they didnt speak to me for a whole year hence the letter yet we rang in October when we changed cars on this insurance and was told our increase per DD payment was going to be "x amount etc

Advertisement