Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leahy

• 06-07-2017 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

This weekend he celebrates 21 years with 2fm, he is the 4th longest serving 2fm presenter of all time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

This weekend he celebrates 21 years with 2fm, he is the 4th longest serving 2fm presenter of all time.

My wordy.
    You're correct though, he started doing overnights in 1996!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Not fully correct.

Will is the 5th longest serving presenter on 2FM.

The top 5 are:

1. Larry Gogan (1979 to present)
    2. Dave Fanning (1979 to present)
    3. Gerry Ryan (1979 to 2010)
    4. John Clarke (1985 to 2013)
    5. Will Leahy (1996 to present)

...and since Will has now made it to 21 years, Michael McNamara (Micky Mac) is now 6. (1979 to 1999)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not fully correct.

Will is the 5th longest serving presenter on 2FM.

The top 5 are:

1. Larry Gogan (1979 to present)
    2. Dave Fanning (1979 to present)
    3. Gerry Ryan (1979 to 2010)
    4. John Clarke (1985 to 2013)
    5. Will Leahy (1996 to present)

...and since Will has now made it to 21 years, Michael McNamara (Micky Mac) is now 6. (1979 to 1999)

I'm pretty sure John Clarke was with the original Radio Nova until its closedown in the spring of 1986. Oh, and where does Mr. Spring come in this list - he has been presenting on 2FM since some time in the 90s?

Come to think of it - where does Aidan Leonard fit in this list and could he be pushing Will Leahy down further? Aidan is currently a 2FM producer and RTE Gold presenter, but was for many years a presenter on 2FM, starting in 1992 (his second stint!). I'm not sure when he stopped being a regular presenter - can't be more than 5 years and could be less.

I'm pretty sure John Clarke was with the original Radio Nova until its closedown in the spring of 1986. Oh, and where does Mr. Spring come in this list - he has been presenting on 2FM since some time in the 90s?

Come to think of it - where does Aidan Leonard fit in this list and could he be pushing Will Leahy down further? Aidan is currently a 2FM producer and RTE Gold presenter, but was for many years a presenter on 2FM, starting in 1992 (his second stint!). I'm not sure when he stopped being a regular presenter - can't be more than 5 years and could be less.
    Did Nova not close until 1988?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Michael Cahill is another one. He started on 2FM as "the kid" in the mid '90's and was still popping up as a fill in until maybe 2-3 years ago.

I do wonder what the likes of him and Aidan do be doing now? Both were decent voices on the radio but still hanging around picking up the RTE pay cheque. Producing? Producing what I wonder....

• Advertisement

Aidan Leonard and Michael Cahill are presenters/producers on RTE Gold.

Aidan took over from John Clarke as being responsible for its output.

I dont think Aidan produces for 2FM anymore and no longer fills in for say, Larry.

Last I heard Michael Cahill was a producer for Tracy Clifford on 2FM, not sure if that's still the case. He presents the voicetracked Radio 1 / RTE Gold show from 4am to 5.30 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Last I heard Michael Cahill was a producer for Tracy Clifford on 2FM, not sure if that's still the case.

Her producer is definitely called Michael anyway.

Did Nova not close until 1988?

It closed a few times... each time more low-profile! The last high-profile one was in 1986. John Clarke was one of the first voices on it in 1981 and one of the last in 1986.

So, Will Leahy is the 5th or 6th or 7th or maybe the 8th longest presenter on 2FM!!

Will as above, is the 5th longest serving without a break in 2fm service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

From his Facebook page:

"Today marks my 21st continuous year of working on 2FM. I started at 2 a.m. on Tuesday morning July 8, 1996 just after Mike Moloney. Me nerves were shot.
    I left a perfectly good job on 98fm to fill in an overnight slot maternity leave of 12 weeks for Suzanne Duffy (great jock - no idea if she still djs anymore).
    Spice Girls "Wannabe" was No.1 and Michelle Smith was winning everything at the Atlanta Olympics. Ah, a simpler time.
    The nice folk at RTÉ publicity then took this cheesy picture of me for the RTE Guide. I was rocking my inner 90210."

https://www.facebook.com/willleahyon2fm/

• Advertisement

Trebor176 wrote: »
    From his Facebook page:

"Today marks my 21st continuous year of working on 2FM. I started at 2 a.m. on Tuesday morning July 8, 1996 just after Mike Moloney. Me nerves were shot.
    I left a perfectly good job on 98fm to fill in an overnight slot maternity leave of 12 weeks for Suzanne Duffy (great jock - no idea if she still djs anymore).
    Spice Girls "Wannabe" was No.1 and Michelle Smith was winning everything at the Atlanta Olympics. Ah, a simpler time.
    The nice folk at RTÉ publicity then took this cheesy picture of me for the RTE Guide. I was rocking my inner 90210."

Never knew he was on 98FM!

Trebor176 wrote: »
    From his Facebook page:

I remember Will on 98FM. I also remember him being a co-host of a business-oriented show called Start Me Up on RTE around that time - he went by William Leahy then!

Emma Power is in for him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I remember Will on 98FM. I also remember him being a co-host of a business-oriented show called Start Me Up on RTE around that time - he went by William Leahy then!

Long before that, probably early '90's, he had a late evening nightly show on Galway Bay FM. He was probably in college here in Galway at the time! I remember it being quite good, "edgy" compared to GB FM's typical output. And I'm pretty sure he was known as "Willy Leahy" then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

How long more will limerick Willie last on 2fm ?

How long more will limerick Willie last on 2fm ?

As long as the listeners want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

His listeners want him back on the weekday drive

His listeners want him back on the weekday drive

Well Eoghan McDermott's contract expires this year so if he doesn't renew it they might get their wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Well Eoghan McDermott's contract expires this year so if he doesn't renew it they might get their wish.

Foley will get that job when 2fm see how well he's doing on red breakfast.

Or they'll move the three children from breakfast to drive and put Foley on breakfast.

I can see Chris and Ciara getting Tracy Clifford's gig she's just really forgettable.

Advertisement