Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good wheel cleaner?

• 06-07-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

How's things lads?

Just wondering what does everybody use to clean their wheels? I'm looking for something fairly gentle. Normally I'd use something like Autoglym but it's harsh enough stuff.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

kerosene on my wheels followed by all purpose cleaner then a rinse with water.. but it's no show bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As above, kerosene takes the worst grime off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I agree. Kero followed by a soapy wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Swarfega Jizzer.....great stuff. Its expensive but well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

WD40 on a rag, clean off the grime and then wipe it down with a clean cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I've always used autoglym tar remover

never had a problem with it

Removes all the grease and Tar then just wipe the wheel down with soapy water

what exactly is "harsh" about it?
    I think it's great

autoglym_intensive_tar_remover_1.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thanks for the replies - I'll give some of those suggestions a go.

I use Autoglym wheel cleaner on the car and bike but it's fairly acidic. Just looking for something a bit softer. Changed the bike to something a bit newer and I'm a bit paranoid now about how I clean it and what I clean it with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

sonic85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - I'll give some of those suggestions a go.

I use Autoglym wheel cleaner on the car and bike but it's fairly acidic. Just looking for something a bit softer. Changed the bike to something a bit newer and I'm a bit paranoid now about how I clean it and what I clean it with!

You can get Kerosene handy enough and its cheap if you want to try a small amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

GBX wrote: »
    You can get Kerosene handy enough and its cheap if you want to try a small amount.

Yeah I have some at home I clean the chain with it - never really thought about using it on the bike itself though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nothing is really "harsh" unless you lash it on and piss off for ****/cuppa/jog/ (insert whats applicable) for about 3 hrs.

We are cleaning a set of wheels here lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Nothing is really "harsh" unless you lash it on and piss off for ****/cuppa/jog/ (insert whats applicable) for about 3 hrs.

We are cleaning a set of wheels here lads.

My thoughts exactly!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The pink stuff in Dealz for €1.50 is very good- just make sure to rinse it off properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have yet to come across a wheel cleaner that is remotely as good as http://www.detailingshed.com/tar-iron-fallout/234-carpro-ironx.html

IronX, Ive been using it for about 5 years on my cars and then the bike. It just works. It lifts off all the break dust it smells nice it leaves the wheel sparkling. Honestly its the best one ive tried and its f'all effort to clean with.

Advertisement