Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper roof height

Options
  • 06-07-2017 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Can anyone clarify the height requirement for a camper?

I have a mini bus ready for conversion but inside measure is only 1.7 will this do?

Thanks
    Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There is no longer a height requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sovietpop

It's the insurance companies that have the restriction. Many of them won't insure you if you are less than 180cm.
    However my van is also 170 and I was able to get it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianv

Thanks sovietpop

Ya I am beginning to learn the hard way nothing is made easy. Once I got over the hurdles of conversion now insurance is an issue.

Who did you get to cover your insurance?

thanks Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

ianv wrote: »
    Thanks sovietpop

Ya I am beginning to learn the hard way nothing is made easy. Once I got over the hurdles of conversion now insurance is an issue.

Who did you get to cover your insurance?

thanks Ian

Hey Ian. Someone else probably has more info but I think they were saying you should join the motorohomeclub (http://motorcaravanclub.com), €80 per annum, and get insured through them.

Were you able to register it as a camper with the low roof? Im thinking of converting a Ford Transit low roof myself...

Thanks Oxygen

Ya I got it registered as a camper, some centers want the 1.8 but officially its not required so just rang around.

Ya think motorcaravan club is only option. I must give them a call I believe it can be difficult enough to get approval to join them.

Thanks Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ours is 1.7m and plenty tall enough inside, and no problem whatever about insuring.

Hi Day

Who did you use, Dolmen and Stewards all ask for 1.8 one actually asks for 1.883

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hi Day

Who did you use, Dolmen and Stewards all ask for 1.8 one actually asks for 1.883

Ian

Mea Culpa - sorry, I got that wrong. It was some other measurement. Camper external height is 2 metres.

Hey Ianv...

Would you mind letting me know if you manage to get insured? I'm thinking of buying a low top minivan to convert, I don't see the point in high top myself, but I'd need to know I can register and insure it.

Sorry I cant be of any help...

thanks a mill!

oxygen wrote: »
    Hey Ianv...

Would you mind letting me know if you manage to get insured? I'm thinking of buying a low top minivan to convert, I don't see the point in high top myself, but I'd need to know I can register and insure it.

Sorry I cant be of any help...

thanks a mill!

Hi oxygen

Ya got it converted no problem, some centers look for the 1.8 but most dont so just check first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sovietpop

Hi Day

Ian

The motorhomeclub insurance is provided by richardsons. We went straight to richardsons because we didnt want to deal with they guy who runs the club (he told my friend proudly that he was a racist) and they insured us - mind you we previously had insurance via the club so perhaps that made it easier to go direct.

An alternative is to find an under insurance company that is underwritten by Alliance - they are the only underwriters in Ireland Afaik that don't have the height restrictions. I think First Direct are under written by them

Thanks a million thats great really appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Shoog

Hi all,
    Just been through all this myself. I would say that my experience is that a van with less than 1.8m head height is just about uninsurable as a camper in Ireland. They also insist on access between the front seats into the back. Your making a rod for your own back if you think you can convert and then get insured without complying with these two basics.
    As someone else also pointed out the MCCI is run by a real idiot and if he takes any sort of a dislike to you forget it. He banned me for asking for clarification of the clubs position on the 1.8m height rule. Basically his business is selling commercial campers and so he is fairly anti-home conversions. Good luck if you try this.

In the end our saving grace was that the T4 I converted was Vintage (over 25yrs) and this allowed us to get insurance through the IVETA, who are really nice and very helpful.

So my advice is get a high roof and put in rotating seats and that way is the easy path. Mercedes Sprinters makes ideal conversion candidate.

Shoog

I converted and insured mine with no access from front to back and roof height 1.7.

It definitely made thing more challenging but it can be done.

Easier option is as you said have both but definitely the 1.8

Who did you insure it with Ianv? I'm looking at a low roof Ford Transit conversion.
    Would be good to know if I can insure it in advance...

thanks!

Advertisement