Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone moved abroad and regretted it?

Options
  • 07-07-2017 4:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

I recently moved abroad, (first time living outside of ireland) i moved to Canada and it has been nothing short of amazing, my wages have litterally doubled, i have cheap rent and everyone to be fair everyone ive met is nice for the most part im saving way more money than i ever could in ireland... i couldnt possibly have had a luckier run to be honest..

And yet for some reason i have a urge to move back home its like now that ive moved abroad ive realized that living in another country isnt for me.. i think id like to travel but keep ireland as home and not live full time in another country..

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, you scratced the itch of leaving and you're doing well, so all good. I guess all you can do is agree a dealine with yourself that you'd like to leave Canada and either come back home or go somewhere else.
    I wouldn't mind trying Canada, but at 40, thing the visa issue is beyond me, and it's not like I have some amazing skill that a Canadian couldn't do!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Do some traveling before you settle down op, you won't regret it. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cheese52

Canada is amazing, sounds like you have a good life there. Give it a chance for a while and enjoy it.
    You can always come home later on, but I suggest travelling around, if you have any hobbies or interests maybe get involved in some clubs. Maybe plan to stay a year and then see how you feel.its a great opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Cupatae wrote: »
    I recently moved abroad, (first time living outside of ireland) i moved to Canada and it has been nothing short of amazing, my wages have litterally doubled, i have cheap rent and everyone to be fair everyone ive met is nice for the most part im saving way more money than i ever could in ireland... i couldnt possibly have had a luckier run to be honest..

And yet for some reason i have a urge to move back home its like now that ive moved abroad ive realized that living in another country isnt for me.. i think id like to travel but keep ireland as home and not live full time in another country..

Has anyone else experienced this?

It will pass just give it time, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

I moved to Toronto a little over 8 months ago, didn't have a set timeline as to when I'd go home but have decided to go back around November/December. I've thought about it for the past 2/3 months and now am sure. I always wanted to live abroad for a while and will have done it. Now, like you, I want to travel a lot but I know I want Ireland to be my base to do it from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Doesn't sound like you're regretting it OP, I think you're just getting a little homesick. Every so often I get a bout of that- the knowledge that I'm missing out on things in my friends and families lives at home etc. A longing for a digestive biscuit and a home cooked meal from my ma. Then I go home, and after 2 weeks I'm foaming at the bit to get out again! :P

I have a friend living in Canada and she hates it there, she's staying until she gets PR then likely returning home. She finds it too expensive, difficult to make friends and has difficulty getting a job she enjoys. So, based on those standards, you're doing pretty good! :)

Have you any plans to visit home soon, for like Christmas maybe?

Advertisement