Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips 49PUS6401 49 Inch SMART 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

To those that managed to get one in the deal, would you say it's worth it even now that it's up at €530?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

I got the 55" and its very nice.
    The Ambilight is cool.
    Sound isn't amazing.
    Picture is very good.
    Would love somebodys help getitng HDR working. Does it work TV wide or is it specific to the devices you have plugged in? Can I use it on Netflix and YouTube from the Android TV interface? Just not sure how to know if its working or not, I don't see any HDR settings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

Carpenter wrote: »
    Has anyone got one and wants to sell it ??

I am probably going to sell mine, just got it a few days ago. Too big for my room and moving away soon, no Idea why I bought it, impulse really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I am probably going to sell mine, just got it a few days ago. Too big for my room and moving away soon, no Idea why I bought it, impulse really.

I'd be up for buying it if the other poster doesn't get in touch with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

AndyOHart wrote: »
    I got the 55" and its very nice.
    The Ambilight is cool.
    Sound isn't amazing.
    Picture is very good.
    Would love somebodys help getitng HDR working. Does it work TV wide or is it specific to the devices you have plugged in? Can I use it on Netflix and YouTube from the Android TV interface? Just not sure how to know if its working or not, I don't see any HDR settings

When HDR is enabled from the content that has HDR support the tv will show in the bottom right that it’s switching to HDR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I will be back home in a few days and will be in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

When HDR is enabled from the content that has HDR support the tv will show in the bottom right that it’s switching to HDR.

What has HDR? Does the inbuilt Netflix app? I upgraded to the HD Netflix for 11.00 but I don't see any HDR thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Folks....does anyone know an easy step by step way to install Kodi on this TV? Google is no help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Folks....does anyone know an easy step by step way to install Kodi on this TV? Google is no help!

Side load launcher, download Kodi to fob,load to tv from fob using side load launcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 martinlynam

Hey

I just downloaded Kodi from playstore easily

Hey

I just downloaded Kodi from playstore easily

Thanks! That worked! Was too obvious I think......;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Are you guys able to use a phone as a keyboard with this TV. I hate typing with the remote!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Any deals on a Phillips similar to this currently? Can't believe I missed it :(

errlloyd wrote: »
    Are you guys able to use a phone as a keyboard with this TV. I hate typing with the remote!

That's the next step....

Can anyone recommend one? Ideally one with the voice function!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The ambilight looks good, any deals around similar for that tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

That's the next step....

Can anyone recommend one? Ideally one with the voice function!

Philips tv remote is available in the App Store for your phone and gives you the voice function and a keyboard

For those interested in getting something like this tv at a good price.
    The 50 inch tv 50PUS6262 with ambi light is doable via littlewoods for about €485 delivered.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-50pus6262-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certifiednbsphdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204294.prd

Use code: LMVNH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The 50 inch tv 50PUS6262 with ambi light is doable via littlewoods for about €485 delivered.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-50pus6262-50-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certifiednbsphdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204294.prd

Thanks.. but Oh so close.
    When will they drop a 3 sided ambilight on offer like that, it's always the two sided ones.
    Have a 6 year old two sided and a 11 year 3 sided and the 3 sided effect is soooo much better. Want to replace both!

Say that again.
    What is this about 2 sided and 3 sided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Get this message when trying to use :(
    "You have claimed the promotion code the maximum number of times"

• Advertisement

I haven't bought it myself yet, perhaps that code has expired
    It was fine this morning

Edit - still working for me.
    Maybe you have used too many codes

Say that again.
    What is this about 2 sided and 3 sided?

Ambilight light comes in several flavours, two side, three side, four sided, they even have a one with projector at the back for projecting the colours on your wall (only on the highest end version). The three side means you get a light bar on the top as well as the sides. Having seen them all on demo I got the three-sided one years ago and a two side one a few years later. IMO, The three sides is just as good as the four or projector but the two-sided one is lacking.

Here's a vid to show the difference between 2,3 and 4 sided Ambilight and the high-end AmbiLux :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Big price drop on this 55 inch just now. Free delivery in the UK. How much would it cost to get this to Ireland via PW or any similar site?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-H55N5500UK-55inch-UHD-Smart/dp/B074853749?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelalertsizer-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B074853749

Anyone used Addresspal for something like this? https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cronos wrote: »
    Big price drop on this 55 inch just now. Free delivery in the UK. How much would it cost to get this to Ireland via PW or any similar site?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-H55N5500UK-55inch-UHD-Smart/dp/B074853749?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelalertsizer-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B074853749

Anyone used Addresspal for something like this? https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

€28 for parcel motel delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Bought the 50" Philips last night. Code worked for me. Had my eye on an the 45" Hisense but the Philips gets decent reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Does anyone who has the above phillips tv know if muxed subs can be turned on and off with movies on a usb stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

god's toy wrote: »
    Ambilight light comes in several flavours, two side, three side, four sided, they even have a one with projector at the back for projecting the colours on your wall (only on the highest end version). The three side means you get a light bar on the top as well as the sides. Having seen them all on demo I got the three-sided one years ago and a two side one a few years later. IMO, The three sides is just as good as the four or projector but the two-sided one is lacking.

Here's a vid to show the difference between 2,3 and 4 sided Ambilight and the high-end AmbiLux :

Thanks, was going to pull the trigger until I saw this. Will keep an eye out for a bargain on the three sides one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have they still persisted with this businessnof turning the tv on with the CH +/- buttons? Phillips TVs just remind me of hotel rooms.

Wow the ambilux thing looks great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks, was going to pull the trigger until I saw this. Will keep an eye out for a bargain on the three sides one.

I have the 3 sided one, definitely worth holding out for. It also syncs with any Hue lights that you have, great job for matches, movies and gaming.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll also keep an eye on this thread in case anyone spots a 3 sided one. Sound lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bought a Bluetooth mouse when I got mine,handy as fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

Bought 2 of these in Argos last November for €520 each.
    Great Tv for the price,very good 4k and HD picture.
    Have had no problems with them.
    Ambilight looks great at night time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

booterboy wrote:
    Ambilight looks great at night time.

Does the background wall matter ie dark wallpaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭NellyMcD

It works better with a more reflective surface. Black probably wouldn't be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭sibersha

Does anyone who has the above phillips tv know if muxed subs can be turned on and off with movies on a usb stick?

Not sure about the native media player but you can download MX player (or VLC) from the playstore and toggle subs on and off from there.

Having looked at the 3 sided and 4 sided ones over last few days, it is highly unlikely they will come down by much as the draw of their light options is what would make someone pay higher? LIke I suppose the 2 sided one would be bought on impulse so is more likely to be found reduced

Having looked at the 3 sided and 4 sided ones over last few days, it is highly unlikely they will come down by much as the draw of their light options is what would make someone pay higher? LIke I suppose the 2 sided one would be bought on impulse so is more likely to be found reduced

Yep. Every time I see Philips tv on offer it's ambilight being talked about but more often than not its the two sided ones. Don't think we will be seeing 3 or 4 sides any time soon. Also shocking price difference for only an extra light bar...

Last time I had to use richershounds to get a better deal but I don't think they have that brand anymore.
    I felt bad recommending ambilight to friends when most people got 2 sided one and then tell me how crap it looked compared to the three or four... But that's a matter of opinion I suppose

I ordered the phillips tv,tbh i never had an ambilight one,but i dont think it would bother me if i had it turned on or off,the specs and price attracted me to it,€ 485 delivered was a great price.i have never had a phillips tv before but the reviews of this one were mostly positive,anyway i will know myself next monday when its delivered :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I had the TV from this bargain, but just sold it to a friend. I really want to replace it with a bigger model that also has ambilight. If anyone has any advice!

I ordered the phillips tv,tbh i never had an ambilight one,but i dont think it would bother me if i had it turned on or off,the specs and price attracted me to it,€ 485 delivered was a great price.i have never had a phillips tv before but the reviews of this one were mostly positive,anyway i will know myself next monday when its delivered :)

I just got my tracking info and noticed the tv is being delivered from england,will i be able to get saorview in this tv? I cant find any info about it and the description on the littlewoods.ie site is taken from the british equivelent,so it doesnt say anything about it being saorview approved

Got sick of waiting. Just bought the Littlewoods one there - 2 sided. Would have preferred the 3 sided but I fear they'll change the price or sell out - or even discontinue the code for the discount. Looking forward to seeing it now. 4K should be good on it...

I'm thinking of just biting the bullet paying up for the 3 sided and be done with it. Argos have them in stock and I can have it by wednesday.

Between that one the oneplus 5T ... man it's not even Xmas yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm thinking of just biting the bullet paying up for the 3 sided and be done with it. Argos have them in stock and I can have it by wednesday.

Between that one the oneplus 5T ... man it's not even Xmas yet...

What's the 3 sided model on argos? I'm only looking for a 43" but seen 2 similar spec models on argos.
    My 9 year old Philips ambilight has developed an issue so I picked up a cheap 1080p LG 43" thinking it should at least match the picture quality of a 9 year old Philips TV, but it falls way short so it's back to Philips for me.

corsav6 wrote: »
    What's the 3 sided model on argos? I'm only looking for a 43" but seen 2 similar spec models on argos.
    My 9 year old Philips ambilight has developed an issue so I picked up a cheap 1080p LG 43" thinking it should at least match the picture quality of a 9 year old Philips TV, but it falls way short so it's back to Philips for me.

It's the 55'' 3 sided for 739 Euro
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=7597901&authToken=

Yep the pic on my over 10 year old philips is just as good as my sammy from this year. ok no 4k but its darn close for such an 'old' set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Quick question. Could you just get the 2 side ambilight TV and then run a hue lightstrip over the back of the top of the TV? Would that work out ok? Obviously would only make sense if you already have a hue hub.

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Quick question. Could you just get the 2 side ambilight TV and then run a hue lightstrip over the back of the top of the TV? Would that work out ok? Obviously would only make sense if you already have a hue hub.

For sure if you just want ambient lighting/solid colour on the back of your TV, it will look fab! However having it built in means it reacts with what your viewing and enhances it. You can buy 3rd party add-on boxes that do just as well but you're restricted to having it on one input and not all tv content will work with it. (EG watching Netflix from the built in app on the TV than appose to watching a sky box plugged in)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

For sure if you just want ambient lighting/solid colour on the back of your TV, it will look fab! However having it built in means it reacts with what your viewing and enhances it. You can buy 3rd party add-on boxes that do just as well but you're restricted to having it on one input and not all tv content will work with it. (EG watching Netflix from the built in app on the TV than appose to watching a sky box plugged in)

Does the ambilight work with the likes of Kodi played on an external android box for example? I'm eyeing the one up on Argos that's €739 but it's £569 on UK Argos, would it be worth chancing ordering it to PM with the extra fees and currency conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Looking at some of the tvs mentioned here, particularly the 55" Philips above. Is it wise to opt for TV now that has a refresh rate of 60Hz? or is it worth it to spend the bit more for one with a higher rate?

cefh17 wrote: »
    Does the ambilight work with the likes of Kodi played on an external android box for example? I'm eyeing the one up on Argos that's €739 but it's £569 on UK Argos, would it be worth chancing ordering it to PM with the extra fees and currency conversion?

Yep, if you get the tv with ambilight built in then yes all boxes connected to the tv will work with the ambilight, even the built in android apps.

deise_boi wrote: »
    Looking at some of the tvs mentioned here, particularly the 55" Philips above. Is it wise to opt for TV now that has a refresh rate of 60Hz? or is it worth it to spend the bit more for one with a higher rate?
    I suppose if gaming is your thing, and you do a lot of it on your PC, then maybe 60Hz is a little limiting for you. Console run up top 60Hz now so should be fine BUT I'm not sure of the Imput lag you will get on the tv vs a gaming monitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement