Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips 49PUS6401 49 Inch SMART 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

god's toy wrote: »
    For sure if you just want ambient lighting/solid colour on the back of your TV, it will look fab! However having it built in means it reacts with what your viewing and enhances it. You can buy 3rd party add-on boxes that do just as well but you're restricted to having it on one input and not all tv content will work with it. (EG watching Netflix from the built in app on the TV than appose to watching a sky box plugged in)

I could be wrong but I thought ambilight could also dynamically change (selected) external hue lights also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

irishbuzz wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I thought ambilight could also dynamically change (selected) external hue lights also?

Yep you could be right there, If it did that would be a huge way of saving money! I'm thinking they would only put it on the higher end models but if anyone who has one could tell us that would be cool!
    Maybe you would need the philips hub to make it all work but how much is that? maybe that could work out less?...

EDIT:

This review suggests you can...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Yep you could be right there, If it did that would be a huge way of saving money! I'm thinking they would only put it on the higher end models but if anyone who has one could tell us that would be cool!
    Maybe you would need the philips hub to make it all work but how much is that? maybe that could work out less?...

EDIT:

This review suggests you can...

The new ambilight models have an "ambilight and hue" setting which will control all of your hue lights if you want. The older models you need an app from the play/app store.

I have a hue go, lightstrip and colour bulb in the living room that can all be controlled by the TV. It's great for gaming but a bit distracting when watching a movie or TV show.

If you already have hue lighting and a bridge in the house it's great. It could get pricey otherwise, but black friday is nearly here..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have Hue at home, I will test it on the tv when it comes.
    I will buy a strip if it works and stick it along the top of the tv

I have Hue at home, I will test it on the tv when it comes.
    I will buy a strip if it works and stick it along the top of the tv

I'm thinking the strip will work fine but all LEDs will be/change the same colour at the same time where the TV having it built in would have different colours at the same time.
    Bet it will look amazing either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I was considering the LG 4k HDR doing the rounds at a similar cost but reviews on this Philips 50PUS6162 are excellent, i think i might go with this instead.

Actually im guessing the 50pus6262 on littlewoods is a newer model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

I think the littlewoods 1 has no ambilight - that's the only difference?

I think from my limited research the 6262 does have amblight but the 6162 does not.

I could be wrong however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

irishbuzz wrote: »

It does, it's pretty cool. You tell the tv where the lights are positioned relative to the tv, so if something sweeps across the screen, it will start and finish on adjacent Hue lights.

I only switch on the Hue link when watching a something particularly atmospheric or special like Blue Planet II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

So what's the best deal here on a 55 inch three or four sided version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Damn you BA, just bought from Littlewoods. Thanks irishproduce!

Turns out I suck at waiting ... So I drove 90km and picked up a 3 sided 55" ...

So now to explain it to the wife. .

Just ordered the 50PUS6262 50 Inch Ambilight with littlewoods for €485 , hell of a bargain considering the same model is €619 in Argos.

Quick question do, can we get the freeview HD in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Dcully wrote: »
    Just ordered the 50PUS6262 50 Inch Ambilight with littlewoods for €485 , hell of a bargain considering the same model is €619 in Argos.

Quick question do, can we get the freeview HD in ireland?

How'd you get it so cheap? Has it gone up in price? Showing as €569 for me

cefh17 wrote: »
    How'd you get it so cheap? Has it gone up in price? Showing as €569 for me

LMVNH code at checkout on Littlewoods.

LMVNH code at checkout on Littlewoods.

Cheers. The one you posted is the 2 sided ambilight though I think. Decisions decisions

Yes its the 2 sided ambi i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

so...the sound is terrible on this ? really considering making a purchase...but somewhat conflicted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Personally i never take into account the quality of the sound from a tv, a soundbar is a must.theres very few tv,s that have a great sound from their internal speakers

• Advertisement

Turns out I suck at waiting ... So I drove 90km and picked up a 3 sided 55" ...

So now to explain it to the wife. .

Can I ask where you got a 3 sided 55inch & the cost please? (I almost pulled the trigger on the 6262 on littlwoods before discovering it's a 2 sided - think the 3 sided would be worth spending extra)

Coill1 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got a 3 sided 55inch & the cost please? (I almost pulled the trigger on the 6262 on littlwoods before discovering it's a 2 sided - think the 3 sided would be worth spending extra)

For the price it is, I'm sure it would make sense to get a Hue LED strip.. but I'm worried it wouldn't sync with the lights on the side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Had anyone checked the customer service from Littlewoods, check their Facebook page if unclear, if something goes wrong, they don't wanna know, I speak from experience. Be warned.

Anyone got sky remote codes for them? None have worked for me.

Argos in blanchardstown for 739. may go down on black friday but like I said, I suck at waiting.... Have on on reserve in Dun Laoghaire but then found Blanch had one in stock! your welcome to the other reserve in DL if you want, it's in Friday.

• Advertisement

Argos in blanchardstown. Have on on reserve in Dun Laoghaire but then found Blanch had one in stock! your welcome to the other reserve in DL if you want, it's in Friday.

That the 739e one?

cefh17 wrote: »
    That the 739e one?

Yep! picture is fanfriggingtastic!

i pressure you can mount this tv on the wall ?

i pressure you can mount this tv on the wall ?

Yep standard holes for vesa mount

Yep! picture is fanfriggingtastic!

Cool - but is that not the 2 sided ambilight?

• Advertisement

The one in argos for 739 is the 3 sided
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1284006

nope 3 sides as per my pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxU_2yA3hP/

Great thanks! (Apologies I'm fair confused between trying to compare them all! Reckon it's the 3 sider for me so!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I've been looking at the 55'' Philips on the Littlewoods website...
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-55pus6262-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certifiednbsphdr-smart-tv-with-freeview-hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204296.prd

I have account with them but never ordered before and it looks like I can get a 20% discount on mу first order, which works out then at 535eur, so really tempted now.

I've gone through the specs and cannot seem to find any information about the OS it's using. Would I be able to install a few apks on it? Just trying to understand if it'll replace my Android box as well or not.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

glen123 wrote: »
    I've been looking at the 55'' Philips on the Littlewoods website...
    https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/philips-55pus6262-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-certifiednbsphdr-smart-tv-with-freeview-hd-freeview-play-and-ambilight/1600204296.prd

I have account with them but never ordered before and it looks like I can get a 20% discount on mу first order, which works out then at 535eur, so really tempted now.

I've gone through the specs and cannot seem to find any information about the OS it's using. Would I be able to install a few apks on it? Just trying to understand if it'll replace my Android box as well or not.Thanks.

Is that the one in Argos for 739...I've never ordered from littlewoods either but just ordered in Argos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Colser wrote: »
    Is that the one in Argos for 739...I've never ordered from littlewoods either but just ordered in Argos?

Yes, I think it's the same tv.

It's free delivery in Littlewoods or so it says. I read on the other forum that even if you buy something on credit to get 20% discount on your first order, you can then go to your account and pay it off so no interest is charged.

I take it 535eur is a good deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

glen123 wrote: »
    Yes, I think it's the same tv.

It's free delivery in Littlewoods or so it says. I read on the other forum that even if you buy something on credit to get 20% discount on your first order, you can then go to your account and pay it off so no interest is charged.

I take it 535eur is a good deal?

I don't think it is. The argos one is 3 sided ambilight.

Colser wrote: »

Nope, its on argos for 719. compare the model numbers to know for sure... the link goes to:

littlewoods: 55PUS6262 = 669
    argos : 55PUS6262 = 719

the three sided one in argos is the 6272 for 739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Thanks guys, following this thread as sister wants me to keep a eye out for new TV for herself

The littlewoods deal for the Phillips 50PUS6262 seems like great value for 485euro

But you can get the Phillips 50PUS6272 for £499 in Argos up north. It has 3 sided ambilight compared to the 2 sided littlewoods.

So is it really worth the extra 80 odd quid after conversion rates for the 3 sided? The only other real plus is your dealing with Argos compared to littlewoods as littlewoods don't have best customer service if something was to go wrong.

Thanks
    Brendan

brendan86 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, following this thread as sister wants me to keep a eye out for new TV for herself

The littlewoods deal for the Phillips 50PUS6262 seems like great value for 485euro

But you can get the Phillips 50PUS6272 for £499 in Argos up north. It has 3 sided ambilight compared to the 2 sided littlewoods.

So is it really worth the extra 80 odd quid after conversion rates for the 3 sided? The only other real plus is your dealing with Argos compared to littlewoods as littlewoods don't have best customer service if something was to go wrong.

Thanks
    Brendan

I think so, defo! but then I'm use the 3 sided for over 10 years now so I'm probably beyond hope. If you never had it I'm sure two would still wow people. and I'm sure there are many out there who don't see any point to amilight at all and call it a useless gimmick... but not me, I love it! My tip is to look in youtube for videos and see for yourself. maybe a cheaper aftermarket box could do just as good a job for less cash?

lol It's RGB lights for your TV, that's what's all the rage for PC builders now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

brendan86 wrote: »

Thanks
    Brendan

3 side is definitely worth it. No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I think so, defo! but then I'm use the 3 sided for over 10 years now so I'm probably beyond hope. If you never had it I'm sure two would still wow people. and I'm sure there are many out there who don't see any point to amilight at all and call it a useless gimmick... but not me, I love it! My tip is to look in youtube for videos and see for yourself. maybe a cheaper aftermarket box could do just as good a job for less cash?

lol It's RGB lights for your TV, that's what's all the rage for PC builders now :)

Agree fully. Some people see Ambilight as a gimmick, but it really transforms your viewing experience. I only had the 2 sided model previously but even that was superb.
    On the plus side Ambilight is reserved for Philips mid to high end TV's so your getting more than just a basic 50hz panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What stores can a man walk into to check out and maybe buy an Ambilight telly?

these nightmare stories about little woods customer service have really put me off the tv....fantasic deal....but if anything goes wrong you are screwed....

Ive yet to see littlewods horror stories but i havent been looking tbh.
    Wife used them for years never an issue.

You guys do have me spooked however after my purchase yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Whats this now about horror stories

their Facebook page has a lot of irate customers who say they are being ignored
    there also some boards.ie threads about them....one guy where littlewoods asked him to produce his mothers death certificate ! .... I'm sure little woods is grand and you won't have a problem but i ended up just going up to D.I.D. for peace of mind...got a samsung:p
    from my research this philips tv is very good though

Samsung and piece of mind dont go well together for me, my last two SamsungTV`s died within 18 months of purchase, always was a samsung TV fan not anymore.
    Then again my last and current Samsung phones have been bomb proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ive yet to see littlewods horror stories but i havent been looking tbh.
    Wife used them for years never an issue.

You guys do have me spooked however after my purchase yesterday.

A quick search on this site alone will show you how awful they are to deal with.

• Advertisement

i think with any brand or company... there are always going to issues...though apple have always treated me well...even after my warranty has expired they have twice sorted me out

i am always going to have live with a little regret about what could have been with the ambi light..... :(

Advertisement