Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numb hands !

Options
  • 07-07-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭

I know lots of cyclists have experienced it...

Pins & Needles in the hands, to numbing , and pain...

What can be done ?? Please....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's something wrong with your bike fit I would suggest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Funny enough, I had it for the first time in years yesterday - first time out on the mtb in over a year, a bit of bouncing around but I reckon it was partly caused by me gripping the bars too tightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Mine is caused by shoulder & neck tightness, I get a rub down from a physio fairly regularly, he also gave me particular stretches to do to keep it at bay and they work well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is usually a HTFU issue.

That is, conditioning. After the ROK one of my comrades was complaining that he started to get numb bits after 120k, and one of the other guys was pitching in about how it's probably bike fit, seat angle, etc etc.

I asked how far his last cycle was, and he said he'd done 50k about 2 months beforehand.

Problem solved.

Numb feet, numb groin and numb hands will happen when you have them under pressure for a long time, in a position they're not used to. Hence mb's numb hands when MTBing yesterday. New position, new sensations, numb hands.

If you're doing something new, be that a new bike, a new type of riding, or a ride that's much longer than you're accustomed to, then you're going to feel discomfort.

If this doesn't go away after the 3rd/4th/5th/6th time you repeat the activity, then you might have an issue. Or if numbness kicks in really early despite you being well used to longer rides.

There are also things you can do to alleviate issues while moving. I used to find that my left arm would be way worse than my right. Sore elbow, numb hand, pins and needles. I realised this was because my right arm did most of the moving - switching gears, taking a drink and looking behind me. My left arm would in comparison be virtually static for hours.

So I developed the habit of lifting and shaking out my left arm every time I took a drink with my right. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This happens after about an hour of riding .... and i dont think its a "HTFU issue " ! ??
    i have done spins up to 200km, and im riding this bike for over a year.

I had a bike fit done, and while it seemed to sort it for a wee while , it didnt.
    He dropped the bars by 5mm , my reach reduced by 6mm.
    I have a 9cm stem at the mo, he did recommend to change to a 10cm stem if the pain returned?

Would a longer stem help??? and How ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does it happen regardless of what gloves you're wearing; i.e. do you get it more during the winter than the summer or vice-versa?

A longer stem can help by adjusting your reach. It changes the angle of the pressure on your hands.

seamus wrote: »
    Does it happen regardless of what gloves you're wearing; i.e. do you get it more during the winter than the summer or vice-versa?

A longer stem can help by adjusting your reach. It changes the angle of the pressure on your hands.

Not really...
    I have tried wearing two pairs of mitt/gloves , and no difference...

ahh right, i was wondering.
    I thought the longer reach, would mean more pressure on the hands..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Surely a shorter stem would mean less pressure on the hands/arms due to a more upright position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

seamus wrote: »
    This is usually a HTFU issue.

I don't think so. Lots of factors can cause this, including, but not limited to, lack of experience / conditioning or just starting out. Issues off the bike can also affect this, such as repetitive strain (key board etc). I had this and it was nothing to do with cycling – it followed a soft tissue injury (from cycling incident) which would then flare up from time to time on the bike for no obvious reason. Overtime, it has settled down. I still have some numbness but it's permanent and cycling is not making it any worse.

Starting with the bike and fit to it is good base to work from re the numbness. However if the pain is not going away, it's a GP I would be going to. Cycling could just be irratating an underlying or developing issue.

Best of luck with it.

Surely a shorter stem would mean less pressure on the hands/arms due to a more upright position?

Thats what i thought too ..... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

I recently changed bar tape from a 3.2 mm thick to a thinner bar tape and i felt instant improvement in how my hands felt on longish spins 80 km +.
    I was worried about my hands suffering when i changed bar tapes, the one i usually buy was out of stock. It has all worked out so far.

New tape is --> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prologo-microtouch-handlebar-tape/rp-prod88818

JayWalsh wrote: »
    I recently changed bar tape from a 3.2 mm thick to a thinner bar tape and i felt instant improvement in how my hands felt on longish spins 80 km +.
    I was worried about my hands suffering when i changed bar tapes, the one i usually buy was out of stock. It has all worked out so far.

New tape is --> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prologo-microtouch-handlebar-tape/rp-prod88818

you went thinner? Surely thicker tape would give more comfort ? I have very thin tape on my bars at the moment,
    I was actually just looking up chain reaction for a good pair of well padded mitts!! :P
    Anyone have a recommendation for a well padded glove ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Went thinner because i have a fairly specific colour scheme going on, and i needed red bar tape. I'm fairly anal about colour coordination on my bike.

Good luck with your problem.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is one hand worse than the other (does it kick in quicker for example)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't forget to move your hand position around fairly regularly as well. Drop bars have plenty of places to grab on so make sure you use them on long trips.

Beasty wrote: »
    Is one hand worse than the other (does it kick in quicker for example)?

Havent really noticed if it does ?
    once isnt more noticeable than the other.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Don't forget to move your hand position around fairly regularly as well. Drop bars have plenty of places to grab on so make sure you use them on long trips.

Yes, i move around on the bars, and vary my grip also.... and elbows bent etc .. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Try to use your core and abs more to hold position thus relying less on your hands. Hold a lighter grip. Move hands often. Try to keep wrists "straight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I got this for a while, then it went, and it's only now that I remember it. I think it was stressing out and tension on the bike more than anything else. Freaked me out at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

Had same problem a friend said maybe too much pressure in tyres....let a bit of air out ....about 90 psi now....problem gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I have a recurring issue with this, so much so that it's really curtailed time on the bike. Last year I lost 70% use of my left hand for months. I was referred to a neurologist but could find nowt wrong. Last spin was two weeks ago, barely 40km and my left index finger is only now getting back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I got myself looser fitting gloves which seemed to work. Galibier gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I have a recurring issue with this, so much so that it's really curtailed time on the bike. Last year I lost 70% use of my left hand for months. I was referred to a neurologist but could find nowt wrong. Last spin was two weeks ago, barely 40km and my left index finger is only now getting back to normal.

Maybe go for a bike fit to see if it's something about your position or your bike? Might (heaven forbid!) need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Chuchote wrote: »
    Maybe go for a bike fit to see if it's something about your position or your bike? Might (heaven forbid!) need a new bike.

Getting bike fit tomorrow! Have my bike up for sale just in case it is the wrong size. Will break my heart if it is as it's my dream bike and would find it hard to get another. (Numb) fingers crosses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Another vote for getting a bike fit. Had mine done about 6 months ago and only really had discomfort during 200Km+ rides which are long days. Has been a revelation for recovery and cramping is much less prevalent.

Hi guys..
    Great feedback , and some great suggestions...
    I will try no gloves on my next spin,
    And then will try lower air on another spin, altho i am at around 95 at the mo.

I have had a bike fit, and as i mentioned it didnt make much difference.
    I was out yesterday, 2 pairs of gloves on. 1 pair of 'thin' race mitts by sportful, and a nother thicker pair on over them.
    I moved hands constantly.. and shook them out at regular intervals....
    I still got some numbness, but not as bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Sounds to em like you are putting too much pressure on your hands.....especially when you get tired
    Putting on extra gloves is not going to help much with this.

As was mentioned above trying doing some core exercises to hold your body up more rather than leaning on your hands.

Used to get this for a while, and more on my left hand than right.....couldn't really figure out why only left more than the right, but suspect ti was because I was taking regular drinks so my right hand spent less time on the handlebars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Pitching in late on this one.

I've suffered from this on and off over the years. I used to have an awful time getting gloves that suited - Specialized had a pair in the day that worked for me but others were dreadful. Getting a bike fit helped big time, to the extent that I no longer need to be so picky about gloves, and can generally pick up a pair in Aldi/Lidl any time they're on sale. I'd also add to what others have said about more padding not necessarily being better. I got a pair of fairly pricey gloves which were a disaster as the padding just created pressure points in the wrong places. I've also changed the bar tape in the meantime this Cinneli cork gel tape feels quite thick initially, but is super comfy (for me anyway)

That's on the road bike. By comparison the winter bike/commuter I got last last winter which would benefit from a fit and new tape as I really feel longer rides on that (despite comfier tyres etc)

I was off the bike for a few months....

I measured the handlebars on the two bikes, and the bars on my Winter bike (no numbness) is narrower than the Carbon (numbness) bike ..

Maybe this could be causing it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big a difference?
    i mentioned being out on the MTB a few months back, and having minor issues with numb hands, and the bars would certainly have been wider than i'm used to. but that would be a massive difference for me.

have you measured your shoulders to see what your optimum bar size is?

Advertisement