Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a gizmo to get all my videos and pics etc off my iPhone that isn't iTunes

Options
  • 07-07-2017 1:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭

An iPhone user here who constantly finds himself running into memory issues when taking videos on holidays etc.

I'm not a fan of iTunes so the workaround for low memory I have for now is emailing myself any videos etc and then deleting them to free up space.

Anyone got any similar ideas that doesn't involve iTunes? Or iCloud. Or buying a new phone.

Upto a few months ago Vodafone shops were selling a gizmo that let you plug it into your phone at one end and a USB at the other. Nice and simple and let you then transfer your pics and videos etc from your phone to your PC. They aren't in stock anymore in the 3 stores I've tried.

Does anyone have a link to anything similar? It was around 60 quid if I remember right.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Why not use dropbox etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

RedTie wrote: »
    An iPhone user here who constantly finds himself running into memory issues when taking videos on holidays etc.

I'm not a fan of iTunes so the workaround for low memory I have for now is emailing myself any videos etc and then deleting them to free up space.

Anyone got any similar ideas that doesn't involve iTunes? Or iCloud. Or buying a new phone.

Upto a few months ago Vodafone shops were selling a gizmo that let you plug it into your phone at one end and a USB at the other. Nice and simple and let you then transfer your pics and videos etc from your phone to your PC. They aren't in stock anymore in the 3 stores I've tried.

Does anyone have a link to anything similar? It was around 60 quid if I remember right.

There is a flash pen that can connect directly into the iPhone then you could move to pc. You should be able to connect the phone to a pc and it should be like a removable drive and copy the photos over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭RedTie

Darren 83 wrote: »
    There is a flash pen that can connect directly into the iPhone then you could move to pc. You should be able to connect the phone to a pc and it should be like a removable drive and copy the photos over.

Cheers. Amy links to where I could buy one?

Im fairly tech savvy with most things. Except iPhones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

RedTie wrote: »
    Cheers. Amy links to where I could buy one?

Im fairly tech savvy with most things. Except iPhones ;)

Can't post a link but Argos sell them under flash pens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I've a hootoo works quite well....

iPhone iPad Memory Stick 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, HooToo External Storage Expansion with Extended MFi Lightning Connector for iOS Mac Windows https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F3J6SPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xb6xzb1AMMDK3

I've a hootoo works quite well....

iPhone iPad Memory Stick 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, HooToo External Storage Expansion with Extended MFi Lightning Connector for iOS Mac Windows https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F3J6SPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xb6xzb1AMMDK3

Thanks. I've just bought the SanDisk one I linked to above for similar money on Amazon though.

sugarman wrote: »
    Download Share Pod, its simple drag and drop.

It says iTunes is required for use. I loathe iTunes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rraido

Aldi are selling a 64gb usb key for iphone on Thursday next the 13th if you can wait that long. It's e40.

rraido wrote: »
    Aldi are selling a 64gb usb key for iphone on Thursday next the 13th if you can wait that long. It's e40.

Thanks. I've already ordered the 16Gb SanDisk one for e30 from Amazon. My phone is just 16Gb so I don't need a key bigger than that to transfer files ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Google photos app?
    Dropbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I've just moved all my photos to Google Photos and I highly recommend it. I was getting fed up with space issues on my iPhone plus paying for iCloud storage. I found Apple's handling of photos a bit confusing too. I moved all my music from iTunes a couple of years ago after losing several rare albums to that cloud matching thing. I now use Plex for music, which I find better as I have more control over it. Gave up on the Mail app on Mac and iOS as well in favour of Outlook and am using Chrome more than Safari these days. Apple are losing me bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Cloud storage might be useful.

I am a fan of Mega - you get 50gb for free. There is an app on the store and it works on most platforms (pc etc).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

log into icloud and just download them all, then move them to wherever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't understand why people are buying memory sticks and try to connect them to iPhones when they are easier and cheaper solutions avaiable that work great with the iPhone.

iCloud
    Google Drive
    Google Photos
    Dropbox

To name just a few.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are buying memory sticks and try to connect them to iPhones when they are easier and cheaper solutions avaiable that work great with the iPhone.

iCloud
    Google Drive
    Google Photos
    Dropbox

To name just a few.
    Are they all free indefinitely? As you clock up more and more space I'm pretty sure you have to start paying a monthly storage to some of them.

I feel unless you need immediate access to all the photos all the time, backing up to a hard drive (or two) makes more sense. A 1TB portable drive is cheap as chips these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Just a quick one re Dropbox as I have only just started using the paid service.

I have uploaded my photos to Dropbox and deleted them from my iPhone. It gives you the option to save them for offline use. When I turn off my data I can still view the photographs so what is the purpose of the offline feature.

This is probably a simple thing but as I said I am a real newbie.

Advertisement