Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info

Options
  • 07-07-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone advise if it is normal practice for a landlord to require pps numbers before renting?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi, can anyone advise if it is normal practice for a landlord to require pps numbers before renting?

Yes.

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/

However,
    You should not be asked to supply this information unless you are being offered a tenancy:
    - PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board) (www.rtb.ie)
    - A reference from your previous landlord
    - A reference from your current employer
    - Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    - Evidence of residency
    - Recent bank statements
    - Payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Thanks for that, young one is currently renting, has no tenancy agreement, no deposit was paid, no issues with current landlord.
    She now looking at another place and the agent asked for pps, that's why the original question.It is a move of convenience above anything else.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The reason is the landlord needs it to register the tenancy property with the RTB. If she has been offered the place- and the landlord seeks the PPS- it simply means he/she is registering the tenancy, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's probably the clearest sign that the landlord is kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

To be fair though this shouldn't be requested until a property is offered, like bank statements, but it's a common practice and nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies, I know the landlord personally but he is renting through an agent (I'm guessing it saves him the hassle), He rented the property before himself but I think he got messed about, hence the agent.
    I've never rented so that's why I didn't know,Thanks again all.

Thanks for all the replies, I know the landlord personally but he is renting through an agent (I'm guessing it saves him the hassle), He rented the property before himself but I think he got messed about, hence the agent.
    I've never rented so that's why I didn't know,Thanks again all.

He just likes spending money in that case, agents add nothing other than a lease (downloadable) and a extra layer of phone calls if something goes wrong. Not bad for 15% or whatever they're charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

As a landlord...girls are the worst tenants by far. :( Boys are not as dirty or break as much stuff. Female tenants do my head in and every year I do ask my self...why do I bother?!

He just likes spending money in that case, agents add nothing other than a lease (downloadable) and a extra layer of phone calls if something goes wrong. Not bad for 15% or whatever they're charging.

Depends entirely on the apartment- but esp. if a landlord is not living nearby, it suits some people to have someone on call to sort whatever goes wrong. You'd be surprised at just how many call-outs you'll have, from even a relatively new unit- things do go wrong. If you're in Galway and your apartment is in Dublin- it is worth paying an agent 10% to keep the tenant happy. Plus- its a tax deductible expense.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

there are lots of reasons for using an agent. The landlord may have a full time occupation which means he is not available for viewings. He may not have time to keep up to date with regulations and paperwork. He may not have be good at organising paperwork. Agents will be well used to obtaining references, drafting leases, keeping pre- letting photographs and inventories. Sometimes complaints to the RTB relate back to things which happened years before. Having an agent keep records and back up the LLs version of events can be critical. I was at a hearing recently where it was found crucial that the LL and agent had visited the property together and corroborated their version of events.
    Not every LL has the personality for dealing with tenants either. I know one who has to use an agent, who has to force him to do what he should do. His natural instinct is to ignore repairs and resent the tenant complaining. He doesn't want to upgrade furniture etc either when necessary and only does it because the agent insists on it.

• Advertisement

Not every LL has the personality for dealing with tenants either. I know one who has to use an agent, who has to force him to do what he should do. His natural instinct is to ignore repairs and resent the tenant complaining. He doesn't want to upgrade furniture etc either when necessary and only does it because the agent insists on it.

Had to smile reading this- sounds more like a wife than an agent :D
    My wife does my calendars and makes sure I'm not double booked etc.

Out of curiousity- what do people pay agents- a straight 10% of the gross- or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Had to smile reading this- sounds more like a wife than an agent :D
    My wife does my calendars and makes sure I'm not double booked etc.

Out of curiousity- what do people pay agents- a straight 10% of the gross- or more?

Some agents have to tell the owners to cop themselves on. Some owners recognise that they are being stupid. I knew and EA who owned flats. He admitted that he was being stupid holding out for the highest rent and leaving them empty for ages. He just couldn't help himself. He treated every letting as a sale. He had to pay someone in his office to take it over.
    Letting fees are higher outside Dublin but typical it is 6% letting only and 10% let and manage. The latter figure is rising because of the extra work the new Tenancies Act is causing.

I live a good 45 minute drive from the property (if I don't get stuck in rush hour traffic) so I hire a letting agency to do the work and take care of things for me, I also work 7 days a week (365 year) so I wouldn't have time to go there for every little whim by the tenants. Yes the letting agency takes 10%

There are plenty of reasons to use an agent, some of ye have missed the in this case in my previous post. I seriously think some of you are agents or mortgage brokers :pac:

Even at €1200 less 50% tax relief I'd still drive down to Galway (over to Galway?) and fix the shower myself in this case - where the tenant is known to the LL. Or let my fingers do the walking - was that an advert here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Edit wrong thread

I seriously think some of you are agents or mortgage brokers :pac:

I'm neither :)

LL lives less than a kilometer from the property, he can see the property from his garden.

LL lives less than a kilometer from the property, he can see the property from his garden.

I have a feeling someone will still be doing the washing etc. for the nest leavers.

Advertisement