Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Boxing Super Series

• 07-07-2017 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭

So the series officially kicks off tomorrow night with a Draft Gala in Monaco.

There will be 2 weight classes, 16 boxers, 14 fights and 2 champions.

Looks like it will be the Quarter Finals in September/October, Semi Finals in January and the 2 Finals next May.

The official site is: https://worldboxingsuperseries.com/

Super Middle Weight -

Jurgen Brahmer (48-3)
    Callum Smith (22-0)
    George Groves (26-3)
    Jamie Cox (22-0)
    Erik Skoglund
    Rob Brant (22-0)
    Anvi Yildrim (16-0)
    Chris Eubank Jr./Artur Abraham

Cruiser Weight

Mairis Briedis (22-0)
    Krzysztof Wlodarczyk (53-3)
    Murat Gassiev (24-0)
    Mike Perez (22-2)
    Oleksandr Usyk (12-0)
    Dimitry Kudryashov (21-1)
    Marco Huck (40-4)
    Yunier Dorticos (21-0)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Some snaps of the Crusiers at Monaco:

9a40a4897e002c4c29dc8c226af4df86.png

ee60fe79a9738bbc4eeb61c1a3bbf46b.png

Perez looks small...Gassiev looks f*cking huge. The man's neck is like a tree trunk. Could easily follow Usyk up to HW one day. He's only 23 too. Troll face in the second pic is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The draws.

Groves v Cox
    Smith v Skoglund
    Eubank Jr/Abraham v Yildrim
    Braehmer v Grant

Cruiserweight.

Wlodarczyk v Gassiev
    Huck v Usyk
    Briedis v Perez
    Kudryashov v Dorticos

pac_man wrote: »
    Haven't been following this as much as I should. Are the lads on the left seeded and they had a choice on who they wanted to fight. I'm assuming lads on left hand side have hometown advantage? Same with Cruisers?

Sorry I didn't type the seeded ones out first but I think the super middle is right anyway. Not sure how it works with home advantage actually.

https://twitter.com/EditinKing/status/883804022309781504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Who do ye fancy lads?
    I'll go with Groves and Perez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'all go with Smith and Gassiev! Usyk the smart choice at CW, and Groves looks the more obvious choice at SNW. But I think Groves is past it and ready to be knocked out again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    I'all go with Smith and Gasdiev! Usyk the smart choice at CW, and Groves looks the more obvious choice at SNW. But I think Groves is past it and ready to be knocked out again..

Past it at 29? I think McGuigan just has him being a bit more economic with his movement so he doesn't burn energy early like he did before. Looking the best he has for a long time imo. He'll ruin Jamie Cox anyway.

Picking Groves and Usyk I think but gonna have a good watch of the cruiserweight before committing. Really like Gassiev too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Past it at 29? I think McGuigan just has him being a bit more economic with his movement so he doesn't burn energy early like he did before. Looking the best he has for a long time imo. He'll ruin Jamie Cox anyway.

Picking Groves and Usyk I think but gonna have a good watch of the cruiserweight before committing. Really like Gassiev too.

Yes, past it (past his prime) at 29. I don't think he is as good today and recently compared to 3-4 years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

For me I'll go with Usyk in CW's, although it wouldnt shock to see any of the 4 champs or Perez win it...... or Kudryashov or Wlodarzyck ......... so I'm just ruling out Huck!! �� I do think Usyk will do it though.

The SMW field is poor, Groves & Smith would be the obvious call but I agree Groves is past it (not at all the same fighter since Froch 2) & I'm really not sold on Smith at all. I know it is slighlty sitting on the fence but I'll take the winner of Eubank Jr. vs Yildrim to win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Picking Groves and Bredis myself, CW is much better then the SMW lineup although that's still good but i don't think Cox or Skoglund are particularly good pity David Benivedez or Ramirez aren't in this i actually think Benivedez is potentially the best SMW in the world. Not to sound harsh but i hope someone gets injuried in time for Degale to maybe join this instead of one of the lesser contenders.

• Advertisement

I'll go against the grain and go for Dorticos and Eubank Jr.

Usyk/Groves is the most likely outcome though. CW is very open. It's going to be sick. 168 could have been sweet too but current lineup stinks.

Anyone see much of this Rob Brant? Found it interesting that Eubank picked the Turk ahead of him. I've never seen him but just assumed it was for stylistic reasons, i.e Eubank prefers when people stand infront of him rather than boxers? I remember when the supersix came about, Ward was one of the outsiders from an opinion and betting perspective, I wonder if people are sleeping on this Brant?

I have honestly never seen him but his record has no recognisable name to me on it & I just read that he has not fought at SMW before as a pro, although he is currently mandatory challenger for the regular WBA middleweight title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

Any idea what channel the fights will be broadcast on ?

Anyone see much of this Rob Brant? Found it interesting that Eubank picked the Turk ahead of him. I've never seen him but just assumed it was for stylistic reasons, i.e Eubank prefers when people stand infront of him rather than boxers? I remember when the supersix came about, Ward was one of the outsiders from an opinion and betting perspective, I wonder if people are sleeping on this Brant?
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    I have honestly never seen him but his record has no recognisable name to me on it & I just read that he has not fought at SMW before as a pro, although he is currently mandatory challenger for the regular WBA middleweight title.

I've never seen him but read he was a very decent amateur at Light Heavyweight so although he's been campaigning at Middle the step up shouldn't be much bother to him. Could be the surprise package here. 40/1 is surely too big. Braehmer is beatable and if he looks impressive against him his odds will obviously tumble.

Best odds for both tournaments.

Super Middleweight

Smith 13/8
    Groves 7/4
    Eubank Jr 7/2
    Braehmer 14/1
    Cox 16/1
    Yildirim 18/1
    Skoglund 33/1
    Brant 40/1

Cruiserweight

Usyk 10/11
    Gassiev 5/1
    Briedis 11/2
    Droticos 10/1
    Kudryashov 16/1
    Perez 25/1
    Wlodarczyk 50/1
    Huck 66/1

I know I have picked Usyk but I wouldn't go near him at those odds. 10/11 to arguably beat Huck, Gassiev, Briedis, gosh that is not good value.

Huck at 66/1 is interesting. Past his best but having him a bigger dog than Diablo is just crazy. I see Kudrayshov's power has him overrated in the bookies as much as online.

Braehmer at 14/1 is burning money imo. Can't see how he's going to even make 168.

Johner wrote: »
    Best odds for both tournaments.

Super Middleweight

Smith 13/8
    Groves 7/4
    Eubank Jr 7/2
    Braehmer 14/1
    Cox 16/1
    Yildirim 18/1
    Skoglund 33/1
    Brant 40/1

Cruiserweight

Usyk 10/11
    Gassiev 5/1
    Briedis 11/2
    Droticos 10/1
    Kudryashov 16/1
    Perez 25/1
    Wlodarczyk 50/1
    Huck 66/1

Just put a bet on Perez there.
    Was hoping for better than 16/1.
    Last chance saloon for Mike.
    Hope he somehow reaches his best form.
    Looks good and seems mentally in a good place at the moment.
    Screenshot_20170711-190520.png

Perez looks in great shape, what surprised me a little is that he looked like one of the smallest guys in the CW field. Has he pissed away years of his career campaigning at HW when he looks so natural at CW?

I think talent wise Perez has little to fear in the field, would be great to see him fulfill his potential & at least make a run at it.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Perez looks in great shape, what surprised me a little is that he looked like one of the smallest guys in the CW field. Has he pissed away years of his career campaigning at HW when he looks so natural at CW?

I think talent wise Perez has little to fear in the field, would be great to see him fulfill his potential & at least make a run at it.

This will tell has he pissed his career away.
    Almost pissed his life away.
    Looks more like the real deal now just hope it's not too late.
    To be honest I'd rather take a punt on him with €30 and lose than back any of the favourites.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Just put a bet on Perez there.
    Was hoping for better than 16/1.
    Last chance saloon for Mike.
    Hope he somehow reaches his best form.
    Looks good and seems mentally in a good place at the moment.

28/1 on SkyBet.

Johner wrote: »
    28/1 on SkyBet.

That's some difference!
    I suppose I'll just have to settle on my €510 winnings now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Though not one of the glamour divisions, CW tournament looks great and exactly what this format set out to achieve.

SMW on the other hand looks like a missed opportunity, full of western european fighters that will be largely ignored outside of those areas, as the super six was.

Screenshot_20170722-142628.png

Perez down to 16/1 on skybet now.
    Now I won't feel so bad collecting my winnings!!

All fights to be shown on ITV4. Brilliant news that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://twitter.com/SauerlandBros/status/904797072402014208

Some fights going to be on itv box office? going by the comments there...

https://twitter.com/SauerlandBros/status/904797072402014208

Some fights going to be on itv box office? going by the comments there...
    Yep my bad. Presume any combination of Smith, Groves, Eubank fighting each other does half decent box office numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Just the one weight class though I think? SMW.
    Any channel showing this weekend's fight?

Just the one weight class though I think? SMW.
    Any channel showing this weekend's fight?
    ITV confirmed to be showing Usyk-Huck this weekend. They'll be showing the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Great news this . Can see Eubank and Groves being on ITV box office now though

Advertisement