Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off/sick leave for ivf?

Options
  • 07-07-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi!!! Starting my first ivf and wondering if I am entitled according to the law to get some time off without using my holidays. Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Don't think you have a legal entitlement, sorry. Most folk either use up their annual leave, or plan appointments outside of work hours or take sick leave.

Some clinics do early morning appointments. Mine offered them from 8am. Anything outside of that I just made up the time later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

No legal right to it im afraid, but many employers are quite flexible and understanding about appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I just told my boss I had a medical procedure the day of the IUI and took it as a sick day. Other appointments for scans etc I just scheduled early in the morning or near to lunch and worked the time up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 evilbaby77

And what about for the pick up and the transfer ? Some women took the time off between the two, about two weeks
    lashes34 wrote: »
    I just told my boss I had a medical procedure the day of the IUI and took it as a sick day. Other appointments for scans etc I just scheduled early in the morning or near to lunch and worked the time up.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I had IUI and not IVF. Cant imagine why anyone would need two weeks off. Maybe take the day after each procedure off as well but two weeks seems excessive to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

evilbaby77 wrote: »
    And what about for the pick up and the transfer ? Some women took the time off between the two, about two weeks

Probably took annual leave. Can't imagine why an employer should be obliged to pay for someone to take IVF. It might be conceivable the state would have a role, but doesn't currently.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

evilbaby77 wrote: »

Nobody I know took a full two weeks off. There is no medical need to. :confused:

The only exception would be the ones who did their IVF abroad and would stay and have a few days in the location while they waited for transfer. Or tacked appointments onto a short holiday such as a city break. Even then it would be likely 5 days and they would have tacked a couple of days onto a weekend to give them a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I took two weeks off every time as I work in a pretty heavy environment and am on my feet 12 hours a day, I got my gp to sign me off. Egg collection you would need a day to recover and egg transfer is completely painless.
    It's up to you if you feel you would be stressed bring in work etc get signed off for the few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

On previous IUI cycles and a cancelled IVF cycle I didn't take time off work. I found it highly stressful trying to organise appointments and childcare and work. This time I'm take time off. Hopefully until the IVF cycle is complete. I'm taking sick days which I normally don't do. I'll get a cert from my GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I took 3 days for egg collection and 2 for transfer. Absolutely no regrets and if I went again I'd do the same. I had nearly a 6 hour round trip for appointments so for all bloods and scans I worked up the time in advance. If time off makes it easier for you, don't hesitate to take it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement