Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a gas meter?

Options
  • 07-07-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help. My dad has not had heating in his flat for 8 years now. He is a widowed man we lost my mam in 2001 to Cancer. He let his bill spiral out of control and his gas got cut off around spring 2009. He has an electric heater but that's not much to heat the house. The council insulted the house with beading a few years ago, but the house has mounds of mould all over which can not be good for his health or for anyone elses health who comes into the house. He has health problems and will be 70 next year. Do I simply contact the provider who to get the gas meter in I'm not sure what the procedure is to sort this out any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would contact the Council first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Has the bill been paid?
    If not you'll need to contact the supplier and see what they need to reconnect it safely.
    They probably will want some form of payment and possibly an engineer inspection to check pipes, boiler etc are safe for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    but the house has mounds of mould all over which can not be good for his health or for anyone elses health
    The problem could be lack of ventilation as much as lack of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Has the bill been paid?
    If not you'll need to contact the supplier and see what they need to reconnect it safely.
    They probably will want some form of payment and possibly an engineer inspection to check pipes, boiler etc are safe for use.

No he has a bill of over €1000 and I will have to contact Bord Gais and ask what they can do. I agree because it hasn't been used in so long need to make sure its safe to reconnect and sort out. Hopefully can get a meter sorted out.

Victor wrote: »
    The problem could be lack of ventilation as much as lack of heat.

Ventalation is an issue but with no heating for this long is not a good thing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Submit his name in Irish

The plebs creating an account will create a new one.

Submit his name in Irish

The plebs creating an account will create a new one.

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

What are you on about?

He say illegal stuff Open a new account with another name

He say illegal stuff Open a new account with another name

He is saying create a new name but in Irish with my dad's name that's never going to work. I heard there is a grant called exceptional circumstances grant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

He is saying create a new name but in Irish with my dad's name that's never going to work. I heard there is a grant called exceptional circumstances grant?

Yes there is an exceptional needs payment, is he getting social welfare?
    It's for people who have an urgent need that they can't meet it's usually for funerals etc. I'm not sure a bill he's had years to pay would meet that criteria tbh but perhaps he could apply-the worst they can say is no.

The best thing to do imo is if he contacts the gas company and talks to them about what steps to take, perhaps they can put in a prepay meter where a percentage of the amount he puts in is paid towards the amount he owes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They will want substantial amount paid off before reconnection and meter installation best thing is to ring them a agree to some sort of arrangement,

Yes there is an exceptional needs payment, is he getting social welfare?
    It's for people who have an urgent need that they can't meet it's usually for funerals etc. I'm not sure a bill he's had years to pay would meet that criteria tbh but perhaps he could apply-the worst they can say is no.

The best thing to do imo is if he contacts the gas company and talks to them about what steps to take, perhaps they can put in a prepay meter where a percentage of the amount he puts in is paid towards the amount he owes.

Thanks for your advice and help. I plan to call Bord Gais tomorrow find out exactly the amount and how much they want paid up front to get the meter in. I have no problem with it taking 2.50 off arrears every tenner. I will contact local CWO to ask if my dad would qualify for that or any relief to help him get back on his feet. I also plan to call the local councilor who is also affiliated with SVDP to see if they could contribute something to get it back on. We will see what happens and I'll let the thread know.

Advertisement