Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions v New Zealand 3rd Test Match Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

molloyjh wrote: »
    Peyper really didn't want to call that in touch at all.

I think everyone watching it wanted it to stay in.
    Draw is a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I dont rate Gats as a coach, but you gotta give it to him, he has luck on his side. Undefeated in two tours now, probably get a 3rd to go for a clean sweep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

O'Brien heavily strapped up.

That's 5 months out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Complete nonsense that the series can be drawn.Should either be extra time or aggregate score wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

NZ robbed with that call not being a penalty.

What a match though.

Gatland largely vindicated to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well a lot of us, myself included, thought this tour would be 3-0. That's a cracking result for them in fairness. Can't escape the feeling that the Lions stopped NZ from winning more than anything else.

I think that's fair
    I agree with your earlier comment that the lions never really looked like scoring a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Final series score: 1 - 1

Not sure why but neither team gets any half-points for a drawn match in a Lions series.

Any sign of SOB. Worried about that shoulder if it's the one he did before. Was a very long term injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

From a 3-0 whitewash that alot of people predicted to 1-1 is pretty spectacular really.
    NZ should have won the match today but fair play to the Lions defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

SlickRic wrote:
    NZ robbed with that call not being a penalty.

Absolutely. Unreal quick thinking from Ken Owens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

NZ held on to tie the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Very lucky too get the draw but it's odd

We didn't win the series we didn't lose the series

I imagine it's so frustrating for everyone that questions are still to be answered after the series ???

Really should of played ET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What a damp squib. Fair play to both sides but this is a real ****ty finish.

Schwanz wrote: »
    It's time Sky looked for a better commentary team.

Damp as f**k.

They were BRILLIANT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Poite straight up robbed NZ there, that's a penalty all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Clegg wrote: »
    O'Brien heavily strapped up.

That's 5 months out.

Probably precaution. He played another 10 mins+ after the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Kicking competition to find a winner... Farrell Vs Barrett

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

The only losers are those who didn't back the draw at 33/1.

They were BRILLIANT
    I read this in a Welsh accent

I think everyone watching it wanted it to stay in.
    Draw is a disaster.
    If the ball was somewhere on half way or in the NZ 22 maybe.
    Defending your own line 2 meters away? Far from a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

"That wasn't why we lost the game"

Keiran Read is in for quite the surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont rate Gats as a coach, but you gotta give it to him, he has luck on his side. Undefeated in two tours now, probably get a 3rd to go for a clean sweep.

Way more than luck. He's savagely underrated by Irish fans for frankly silly reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Kieran Read is a gent.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I read this in a Welsh accent

You're probably still reading it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Two schools of thought here Gatland 'won' a historic draw or threw away a historic win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This is how I feel about this farcical finish.

We paid for blood!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Both teams were not really at the races second half. Shame we didn't get a winner, but no team really put their hands up after a first half that NZ can feel that they did not take advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two schools of thought here Gatland 'won' a historic draw or threw away a historic win.

To not get beat is astonishing in its own right. They were substantially outmatched on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Error ridden game. Both sides kind of bottled it as the pressure built.

Farrell hero and villain. Probably more villain but he deserves great credit for the clutch kick at the end

Surely a lot of questions to be asked in NZ about what to do about Beauden's kicking. It cost them a series win, if not the coveted blackwash.

I wonder if the answer is to play the brother at 15 and see how he gets on as kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was a brilliant series. The hype delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Poite was very very generous to the Lions throughout that game. New Zealanders will not be impressed with his performance.

The Replay is scheduled for next Saturday in Semple Stadium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Way more than luck. He's savagely underrated by Irish fans for frankly silly reasons

Hahah its a bit lucky when they should have lost by a penalty to Australia twice in the same game and to NZ in two tests if the kicker had been changed to someone else. Im not Irish, I dont rate him as I dont think hes that good, like Napoleon said " I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Good for the Lions brand but the All Blacks should have won if Barrett's kicking wasn't so flaky, or Julian Savea's hands, or Poite's decision making...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Super Maro is going to be an all time great if he keeps going.

New Zealand on a two game "no win" streak. Surely questions have to be asked? :pac:

AdamD wrote: »
    Poite was very very generous to the Lions throughout that game. New Zealanders will not be impressed with his performance.

Maybe so, but he had nothing to do with all the butchered tries.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To not get beat is astonishing in its own right. They were substantially outmatched on paper.

The standard was so much higher than it was in 2013. The coaches produced a much better end product. Credit to them for adapting and building on what they had before.

I wonder if we might see Gatland and that team tempted to go to South Africa and try to make himself an unbeaten head coach on all 3 tours. Warburton might still be around to captain it again if he gets lucky with injuries!

• Advertisement

Surely a lot of questions to be asked in NZ about what to do about Beauden's kicking. It cost them a series win, if not the coveted blackwash.

I wonder if the answer is to play the brother at 15 and see how he gets on as kicker.

That's a harsh argument. He was their best player today, they'd have won if the players around him showed us as well as he did. Not sure the new generation of centres are up to scratch yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have to say this series has breathed a lot of life back into a waning quirk of rugby establishment.

You're probably still reading it then.

With a screen covered in spit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I thought the Lions went the well in the 2nd test and had used up all their luck but they got away with it again. Fair dues, it was a great occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

They were BRILLIANT

WHAT AN ASTONISHING GAME THIS IS HERE IN THE ALL BLACKS FORTRESS AT EDEN PARK. WILL THE HAND OF HISTORY TAKE THE LIONS BY THE PAW AND LEAD THEM TO A HISTORIC LIONS VICTORY?

WHAT A HISTORIC SCRUM THIS WILL BE IF THE LIONS CAN HOLD ON AND SECURE A HISTORIC PENALTY FOR COLLAPSING THE SCRUM. HISTORY WILL LOOK BACK ON THAT ASTONISHING SCRUM FOR CENTURIES WHERE THE LIONS ROARED THEIR WAY TO A HISTORIC PENALTY ON THE ALL BLACKS 10M LINE.

AdamD wrote: »
    That's a harsh argument. He was their best player today, they'd have won if the players around him showed us as well as he did. Not sure the new generation of centres are up to scratch yet.

I'm not remotely criticising his performance. I think he's one of the best players in the world.

But he's allowed start at 10 without being the kicker, right?

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    Super Maro is going to be an all time great if he keeps going.

Best player on the field today. A bloody brilliant player. An amazing second row.

I'm not remotely criticising his performance. I think he's one of the best players in the world.

But he's allowed start at 10 without being the kicker, right?

Oh of course, just thought you were insinuating hes the reason they didn't win. Not sure Jordie's kicking is that much better either at the moment.

Subpopulus wrote: »
    WHAT AN ASTONISHING GAME THIS IS HERE IN THE ALL BLACKS FORTRESS AT EDEN PARK. WILL THE HAND OF HISTORY TAKE THE LIONS BY THE PAW AND LEAD THEM TO A HISTORIC LIONS VICTORY?

WHAT A HISTORIC SCRUM THIS WILL BE IF THE LIONS CAN HOLD ON AND SECURE A HISTORIC PENALTY FOR COLLAPSING THE SCRUM. HISTORY WILL LOOK BACK ON THAT ASTONISHING SCRUM FOR CENTURIES WHERE THE LIONS ROARED THEIR WAY TO A HISTORIC PENALTY ON THE ALL BLACKS 10M LINE.

OK Mr Greenwood.

AND HERE COMES THE LIONS WATER BOY ONTO THE PITCH. A HISTORIC MARCH FROM HIM AS WITH EVERY BOUND HE STEPS THROUGH THE IMMORTAL HALLS OF LIONS MID-MATCH REFRESHMENT. WE HAVEN'T SEEN A WATER PERFORMANCE LIKE THIS SINCE 1936. AS HE CARRIES THAT WATER ITS ALMOST AS IF HE CARRIES THE ELIXIR OF LIFE ITSELF.

Sky trying to stay relevant in the week that saw them lose grasp of rugby to BT

• Advertisement
Advertisement