Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions v New Zealand 3rd Test Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Haskell having the time of his life in the background there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Did I see a big "Loins" flag in the crowd????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Its like no one won so we have to fill all this time with something..........

Nice speech's from Reid and Warbs, but 70% of the crowd look like they've already shuffled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Unbelievable decision by Poite. Offside is offside. When the ABs look back at this I think they will feel robbed by an absolutely shocking decision by the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

PTH2009 wrote: »

Really should of played ET

Fairly sure he wouldn't qualify with the residency rules. Plus with his little arms and legs he'd be useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kieran Read is a gent.

Good looking bloke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

AdamD wrote: »
    Oh of course, just thought you were insinuating hes the reason they didn't win. Not sure Jordie's kicking is that much better either at the moment.

Well his kicking would have been the reason they didn't win if they had a better alternative to kick, but obviously there's not situation where he shouldn't be in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Unbelievable decision by Poite. Offside is offside. When the ABs look back at this I think they will feel robbed by an absolutely shocking decision by the ref

Accidental offside was the correct call. Calling Owens' action deliberate/cynical would have been incredibly harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

A trophy presentation in a drawn series? Ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I guess the Scottish fans did travel after all :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope the lads enjoy there time off and all come back flying in the new season and hopefully the Irish guys will be celebrating come March 2018

I imagine New Zealand will do the grand autumn Euro tour in 2018 ??? Maybe play us there next summer ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone else think Poite made the right call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

mfceiling wrote: »
    Fairly sure he wouldn't qualify with the residency rules. Plus with his little arms and legs he'd be useless.

He has a big heart... Munster man through & through

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

corny wrote: »

If they take of the red tinted glasses then no, with them on perhaps

Augme wrote: »
    Both lifting it was a nice touch if not a bit cheesy.
    By right it could have just been a NZ trophy presentation as they retain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I have no picture...who did they give the trophy to??

AdamD wrote: »
    Poite was very very generous to the Lions throughout that game. New Zealanders will not be impressed with his performance.

For every decision against them there's an unpunished neck roll.
    Checks and balances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Both lifting it was a nice touch if not a bit cheesy.
    By right it could have just been a NZ trophy presentation as they retain it.
    To be fair, I don't think Kieran Read would have been comfortable with that.

Accidental offside was the correct call. Calling Owens' action deliberate/cynical would have been incredibly harsh.

Offside, interfered with play. That is just a rock solid penalty every minute of the day

• Advertisement

DENDz58XoAAGUe-.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Erik Shin wrote: »
    He has a big heart... Munster man through & through

Certainly looks like one.

I jest, I jest!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Have seen plenty of penalties given for the contact Read made with Williams in the air. Could easily have been a penalty Lions imo.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/lionsofficial/status/883625594176536576

DENFjD9XgAAu-ZN.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

At best, that was a deeply unusual interpretation of the rules from Poite. New Zealand left a pile of tries out there and more badly missed kicks from Barrett. Lions really lucky, were barely in the opposition 22 and spent most of the game losing territory and possession. Defensive line speed the hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I have to take a Rennie every time Scott Quinell appears on my television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

jojofizzio wrote: »

Both captains took it and held it aloft to the a lovely fireworks display. Cringe.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Both captains took it and held it aloft to the a lovely fireworks display. Cringe.

I enjoyed that. Nice and respectful.

Haskell gets the tv time he was chasing after.

Warburton talking that penalty down to a scrum was incredible, fair due. Hopefully Laidlaw was watching that and seeing how its done, no shrug of the shoulders, just loud, clear comunication to the ref.

When he retires, the bidding war between BT and Sky over Lord Haskell of Banterbury will be incredibly fierce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I do hope they played Don't stop believin in the stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I thought greenwood and quinnell were going to follow Davies into the showers there with the 3 of them walking in a weird hug:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Bit like France in 2011.

When you read madness like this you'd almost think Poite invented accidental offside on the spot :D

The Archbishop of Banterbury.

Get in the focking sea Greenwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

QUINNELL: Jonathan, how do you think you played this tour?
    DAVIES: Oh, y'know, just tried to play to the best of my abilities.
    QUINNELL: Let me tell you something - you were BRILLIANT
    DAVIES: Uh, well...
    QUINNELL: You were BRILLIANT
    DAVIES: Cheers
    QUINNELL: BRILLIANT
    DAVIES: Um... thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Anyone catch who was man of the match?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Anyone catch who was man of the match?
    He's still running in fear of a cringeworthy interview. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

{raises hand}

The nonsense of blaming Poite for ruining the game, or that any team bottled it, needs to be euthanised, and quite violently, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Fair play to Ken Owens. Signing every jersey in the crowd it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Love Gats for cutting right through Sky bigging up Farrell and explaining that he was awful in the first half for bad kicks, intercepts and missed tackles.

• Advertisement

When you read madness like this you'd almost think Poite invented accidental offside on the spot :D
    It is one thing to be accidentally offside, I have no issue with such a call, but when you are accidentally offside and you also handle the ball there is no question. It is a penalty. It just simply is. I can't understand how you could possibly argue this.

It is one thing to be accidentally offside, I have no issue with such a call, but when you are accidentally offside and you also handle the ball there is no question. It is a penalty. It just simply is. I can't understand how you could possibly argue this.

Well this is just completely incorrect, accidental offside is when you unintentionally play the ball. And there is no argument to be had there.

The only argument is whether or not there was intent. I think its completely fair to argue there was and I would have seen it as a penalty, but its not black and white at all and a scrum is completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Nice to hear Garland be a bit more balanced in his assessment of Farrell's performance in contrast to Sky's hyperbole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If New Zealand were 3 points down that would have been given as a penalty.

There is an entire program featuring Scott Quinnell on speed up next.

Nice to hear Garland be a bit more balanced in his assessment of Farrell's performance in contrast to Sky's hyperbole

The question he was asked was hilarious.

Supposedly, he was not completely flawless and up to his own incredibly high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was accidental offside which leads to a scrum. Everything else you're saying is just wrong I'm afraid.
    (a)When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player’s team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player’s team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.

(b)When a player hands the ball to a team-mate in front of the first player, the receiver is offside. Unless the receiver is considered to be intentionally offside (in which case a penalty kick is awarded), the receiver is accidentally offside and a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.

Well this is just completely incorrect, accidental offside is when you unintentionally play the ball. And there is no argument to be had there.

The only argument is whether or not there was intent. I think its completely fair to argue there was and I would have seen it as a penalty, but its not black and white at all and a scrum is completely understandable.
    I think what Poite decided was fair enough. If Owens had passed the ball to a team mate, then it's a penalty, but he dropped it on the ground which Poite interpreted as not playing it. Hence accidental.

But you could argue that catching it was playing it too.

Edit: molloyjh has explained it very well above.

I feel this image sums up alot of peoples feelings right now :D

DENG2_BU0AA5h9V.jpg:large

• Advertisement

From memory he wasn't looking at where the ball came from. His arm was already in a fixed position and that's where the ball landed. He didn't move to his body, arm or hand to take the ball and he was shocked that it had landed there.

Advertisement