Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdF 2017 stage 8: Dole > Station des Rousses 187,5 km

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

That was one of the hardest Tour stages in awhile ...I'd say since 2013 stage that Dan Martin won

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Unfortunate for Nico that he was pipped on the line for 3rd place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

At least you could argue Nico & GVA helped force Sky to work hard with the troops for the day. If it is true how super-hard a stage that was, not very uplifting though how totally in control of things the Sky crew looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hopefully they are shagged for tomorrow...a much harder stage to control

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Demare came in 37'33 down with two team-mates, inside the time limit. Fair play to the team for getting him through it, really hope he hangs in there again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I reckon we could be back here tomorrow cursing Froome and Sky unless the others do something tomorrow.

Demare came in 37'33 down with two team-mates, inside the time limit. Fair play to the team for getting him through it, really hope he hangs in there again tomorrow.

What was the time limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

What was the time limit?

Well Bora Hansgrohe tried to get Sagan reinstated when he was two days down so I'd say Demare was safe enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

see a lot of people wondering wtf BMC are up to. They stuck GVA and Roche up the road today for no gain, leaving roche effectively on his own in the peloton. Maybe the plan was to have them up the road and porte to attack on the last climb. However, if he didnt have the legs it doesnt make sense for nico to keep pushing for a 4th place and no time gap to the rest. Both looked knackered at the end, and with a climb straight from the off tomorrow you could see them being dropped early if the pace is high.

5 skybots finished in the main group, with kwaitowski freewheeling up 20 mins later. Expect him to bring the pain tomorrow...

retalivity wrote: »
    see a lot of people wondering wtf BMC are up to. They stuck GVA and Roche up the road today for no gain, leaving roche effectively on his own in the peloton. Maybe the plan was to have them up the road and porte to attack on the last climb. However, if he didnt have the legs it doesnt make sense for nico to keep pushing for a 4th place and no time gap to the rest. Both looked knackered at the end, and with a climb straight from the off tomorrow you could see them being dropped early if the pace is high.

5 skybots finished in the main group, with kwaitowski freewheeling up 20 mins later. Expect him to bring the pain tomorrow...

Nico spoke to ES about this...they wanted to put SKY under pressure and they did to an extent plus wanted to stay up there for Richie...the thing is that no one accepts

1. BMC staying with Richje is not a viable plan as they will just be ridden off the wheel as not as strong as SKY
    2. Easier for BMC riders to fall back than go off the front to aid Riche in a possible attack
    3. Nico said that he had hard stage but so did SKY
    4. BMC are worried about Richie being isolated like Dauphine
    6. No one is asking why Astana or Movistar or Trek are not doing something rather than criticizing BMC for doing something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MPFGLB wrote: »
    6. No one is asking why Astana or Movistar or Trek are not doing something rather than criticizing BMC for doing something

BMC's best Mountain Dom, Roche, turned himself inside out today ahead of arguably the hardest day of the tour tomorrow, for no discernable gain. I think criticism of their tactics so far this tour does have some merit perhaps, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating tomorrow, so I guess we can discuss with the power of hindsight tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

pelevin wrote: »
    I've ES & won't even gonna give ITV any look after previous viewings where I'd sum up their coverage as "We show some cycling between the ads."

Hard to complain when it's a free channel.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Hard to complain when it's a free channel.

It's easy to give one's opinion though. Not much harm in that on a forum. And there's alot of sports shown on 'free' channels. Doesn't mean one can't have a view on the coverage or they're immune to criticism.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    3. Nico said that he had hard stage but so did SKY

Did Sky have a hard day?

Froome had 4 domestiques alongside him at the finish. They probably hadn't even planned themselves to have that many.

For me, the only Sky rider who had a tough day was Luke Rowe.

Did Sky have a hard day?

Froome had 4 domestiques alongside him at the finish. They probably hadn't even planned themselves to have that many.

For me, the only Sky rider who had a tough day was Luke Rowe.

Well according to them they had a hard day...Thomas and Kwaito said they did

But again I say no one else put them under any pressure ...no one at all ...hardly the way to race the Tour

very hard to defeat SKY, (if at all ) No one stage will do it ...it may be a series of days

No the proof of the pudding will be in the eating in Paris ..not tomorrow ..still along way to go yet

.maybe BMC are trying the long game,

Nicolas Roche may be of more use up the road than sitting with Richie who has Caruso....

Also other leaders are isolated against SKY and no one goes on about their strategy.....

It's easy to give one's opinion though. Not much harm in that on a forum. And there's alot of sports shown on 'free' channels. Doesn't mean one can't have a view on the coverage or they're immune to criticism.

So right...and I gave my opinion too! How can any free channels operate if they do not monetise their content through advertisements? Sky charge for sports content and also show adverts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone who watched cycling on ITV would have known what to expect. In the pre race discussion I, and I'm sure others, said that ITV will be unbearable to watch due to the amount of ads, and at least Eurosport front load their ads so they can stick with the action towards the business end of the race.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    So right...and I gave my opinion too! How can any free channels operate if they do not monetise their content through advertisements? Sky charge for sports content and also show adverts...

But there's hopefully a middle ground where viewers don't find the coverage unwatchable, as some here clearly do.

But there's hopefully a middle ground where viewers don't find the coverage unwatchable, as some here clearly do.

Yes some viewers. I find it watchable. I just ignore the ads. Cycling is like test cricket, you don't need to watch every second or minute to get a feel for the match. That stage the other day, actually two stages were bore fests, even the highlights!

And to repeat - it's free. ITV have significant costs to recoup so the adverts are justified. That's commercial TV.

Advertisement