Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out furnished house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

Also what's the "rent a room" thing, is that not basically the same idea and you can assume the other "tenant" just keeps his bedroom door shut all the time?[/QUOTE]

You rent a room or rooms in your house in which you live ''for the greater part of the year'', up to €14K tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Interesting, another possibility then as it means I can still come and go in the house with no interruption to the tenant.
    (I will be abroad, but home frequently, so still technically living there)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You rent a room or rooms in your house in which you live ''for the greater part of the year'', up to €14K tax free.

To be pedantic it's the principle private residence, it starts to get a bit complicated when it comes to resident, ordinarily resident etc. etc. and IMHO that tax status has to be taken into account, others and revenue might disagree. Suffice it to say, I'd argue RAR is allowable on a house you're renting out and staying in when in Ireland, subject to following tax rules correctly. As always don't take the advice of randomers on the interwebz and check.

As for the caretraker idea, there's no reason that couldn't work as long as it was 5 months at a time to avoid Part IV. One would hope there are people out there with the relevant references/testimonials.

Advertisement