Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar to Dublin on the Royal Canal

Options
  • 07-07-2017 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Is this possible on a road bike? What's the surface like?
    Thinking about doing it if it's possible some Sunny Sunday morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Definitely not fit for a road bike I live near it and it's more suited to a mountain bike or a hybrid bike with larger tyres,there's sections of it tarred but mostly gravel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is this possible on a road bike? What's the surface like?
    Thinking about doing it if it's possible some Sunny Sunday morning

Few threads on it, but basically not. You'd have to leave it in a number of section due to tree roots, stones etc. Doable in parts, particularly from castleknock to five lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

More work ongoing around Kilcock and beyond over the summer.
    From Discover Kilcock Facebook...

Kilcock Greenway update 2017.
    Following agreement by all stakeholders involved work will commence from Chambers lock"clintons lock"JULY-AUGUST to Maynooth and Kilcock to Ferns lock September 2017!
    More information on completion of Greenway to Follow when available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877 for the section from Kilcock to Dublin. Enfield to Kilcock is grass which isn't too bad when it's cut but catches in the gears and chain when it's not.

Regarding velo.2010's post, Chambers Lock is 1.6km east of Kilcock and Ferns Lock is 3.8km to the west. It would be interesting to know if those sections will be impassable while the works are under way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll have to wait a while longer to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Update:

"Waterways Ireland wishes to advise that further upgrading works will take place over the coming months to the Royal Canal towpaths in the Maynooth & Kilcock areas, as part of the National Cycle Network upgrades.
    ​The canal towpaths will be closed to the public between Maynooth Harbour and Chambers Bridge Kilcock, and from Spin Bridge Kilcock to Ferns Lock, over much of the period from September to December 2017.

Works will continue until end 2017, and signage at individual entrance locations on site will confirm relevant closure dates for those points."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you can cycle from the Shannon as far as Maynooth

surface is good all the way through longford and westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you can cycle from the Shannon as far as Maynooth

surface is good all the way through longford and westmeath

Problem now for OP is waiting for a sunny Sunday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Lots of activity on the Royal Canal Greenway over the past couple of months. Work progressing well and the section either side of Kilcock will be finished in the no too distant future.

There is a chap posting regular photo's to the Discover Kilcock Facebook page. Scroll down the page and you'll see the constructon work in progress.
    https://www.facebook.com/DiscoverKilcock

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would be great if somebody did a hyperlapse of the route.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to trying this early in the new year. Sounds like Maynooth to Mullingar and on to the Shannon or left to Athlone will all be paved. Hopefully no kissing gates along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's funny both canals have difficult to cycle on bits cutting Dublin off from the rest of the country - Deep sinking and lucan to Hazelhatch on the grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Done a section yesterday from Ashtown gate to Westmanton road up the back of Lucan.
    Done on my old commuter road bike with a 30mm CX tyre on the front and a 28mm touring tyre on the back.
    It was grand all the way with the deep sinking section the only troublesome bit and even that was good fun.
    Would loved to have gone on further but i was on the clock.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1283135439

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Done a section yesterday from Ashtown gate to Westmanton road up the back of Lucan.
    Done on my old commuter road bike with a 30mm CX tyre on the front and a 28mm touring tyre on the back.
    It was grand all the way with the deep sinking section the only troublesome bit and even that was good fun.
    Would loved to have gone on further but i was on the clock.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1283135439

Fair play for doing that on touring bike, I did the same on my gravel bike a few weeks ago and found it tough going. Did you not have to walk the deep sinking? Seriously rocky and rooty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've done the deep sinking a number of times on the touring bike. It's grand when dry but I've walked sections of it when wet.

I rode some of the 'under construction' bits back in August and it was a seriously tough day out...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I've done the deep sinking a number of times on the touring bike. It's grand when dry but I've walked sections of it when wet.

I rode some of the 'under construction' bits back in August and it was a seriously tough day out...

Yeah it was mucky when I was there and lots of walkers, so too dangerous to ride most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

LennoxR wrote: »
    Fair play for doing that on touring bike, I did the same on my gravel bike a few weeks ago and found it tough going. Did you not have to walk the deep sinking? Seriously rocky and rooty!

No. I didn't dismount at any point. Its only my second time through there and for some reason it looked wider than before. I was wondering if they had cut back some of the bushes on the left hand side as it didn't seem as narrow as when i'd been through before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I've done the deep sinking without dismounting on a mountain bike..I wouldn't like to attempt it on anything with thinner tyres ,theres lots of sharp rocks to deal with.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I've done the deep sinking without dismounting on a mountain bike..I wouldn't like to attempt it on anything with thinner tyres ,theres lots of sharp rocks to deal with.

Yup. I'd say the suspension came in handy too. I can't imagine even trying it on road or touring bike. But apparently some can, so my hat is off to them.

I could have ridden it very slowly on my gravel bike, but it was scary and there were too many walkers who I couldn't pass safely so I ended up walking probably nearly half of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Speaking of the Deep Sinking..this saturday is the anniversary of the sinking of Longford in 1845 with the loss of 15 lives.

• Advertisement

Finally found a FB page and website with all the info on the Royal Canal Greenway including updates on the various works being completed. It's at https://www.facebook.com/royalcanalgreenway/ with a link to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They are underselling the bit from Ashtown to North strand road section, all that needs doing is opening the barriers between Ashtown and Broombridge and designating a cycling track from Phibsboro down to Dorset st.

Advertisement