Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bradley Lowery

• 07-07-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know if there's been many following this little guys story and his fight against neuroblastoma but poor little Bradley was taken from us today.

Seeing him on the pitch before some Sunderland games enjoying the few tiny moments of happiness in his short life where he had to fight from beginning to end would warm the cockles of the most cynical and cold hearted person.

At the end of the day, football is just a game, I genuinely shed a tear many times seeing this little guy and had to take a few moments to myself when I saw the news today.

RIP Bradley, your suffering is over now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

While its sad, I feel it should not be all over Sky news. It feels dirty to be broadcasting it, surely the family would rather be left with there grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

I don't think we should analysis the past and the present on this.

Just say a prayer for a little guy who showed the rest of us how we should live life to the full and be glad for the little things we have in life.

RIP little man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Poor little fella. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

irishman86 wrote: »
    While its sad, I feel it should not be all over Sky news. It feels dirty to be broadcasting it, surely the family would rather be left with there grief

It makes for a good story sure. This is Sky where talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Not ashamed to say the news today brought tears to my eyes...Im so happy that he fulfilled so many of his little dreams in the past year.
    Fair play to Jermaine Defoe and RIP Bradley

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Just say a prayer for a little guy who showed the rest of us how we should live life to the full...

It sounds like a platitude.

How did he "live life to the full"?

For me, the sad thing when the very young die is precisely the opposite, that they don't get to really experience life, all those dreams his parents may have had for him when they cradled him as a baby going unfulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

It sounds like a platitude.

How did he "live life to the full"? .

Hey...it's just my personal comment on how I feel at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I really don't understand the disproportionate amount of media attention that this guy got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I really don't understand the disproportionate amount of media attention that this guy got.

This guy? You mean Bradley?

Does it matter? Did it benefit his life and possibly the lives of his family? Will it benefit others with his charity? Has it hurt anyone?

Sorry mate but I think it's in bad taste to be critical of anything regarding this situation. He died less than 24 hours ago. He's a 6 year old.

I know from my own experience I see his smiley face and I see my little son and it breaks my heart. I think that smile grabbed peoples attention.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus. Have a heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

GSPfan wrote: »
    This guy? You mean Bradley?

Does it matter? Did it benefit his life and possibly the lives of his family? Will it benefit others with his charity? Has it hurt anyone?

Sorry mate but I think it's in bad taste to be critical of anything regarding this situation. He died less than 24 hours ago. He's a 6 year old.

I know from my own experience I see his smiley face and I see my little son and it breaks my heart. I think that smile grabbed peoples attention.
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. Have a heart.

I'm sure there are countless terminally ill children around the UK and Ireland, not to mention the countless more suffering around the world. By all accounts it seems as though his life was made as exciting and enjoyable as it could before he became too ill. He probably had great experiences that many other terminally ill children won't have. We've all seen clips of sick kids getting surprised with the make a wish foundation and the like and that's nice to see, but as I said, I just don't get why the illness and death of Bradley Lowery in particular was so well documented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If this subject was a couple of months from now or we were discussing something trivial like why the Kardashians are famous then Id probably debate the ins and outs of fame and infamy with you.

At this very moment I just find it disrespectful to discuss the death of a 6 year old boy in such a matter of fact way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,471 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sure there are countless terminally ill children around the UK and Ireland, not to mention the countless more suffering around the world. By all accounts it seems as though his life was made as exciting and enjoyable as it could before he became too ill. He probably had great experiences that many other terminally ill children won't have. We've all seen clips of sick kids getting surprised with the make a wish foundation and the like and that's nice to see, but as I said, I just don't get why the illness and death of Bradley Lowery in particular was so well documented.

Simple

Because someone close to Bradley's family/friends/medical professionals saw fit to promote his case to raise awareness of the condition.

These stories don't make themselves, people put in the effort to raise awareness, and that is what has happened here.

And fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Would you prefer if every terminally ill child received the same attention as BL or would you prefer if no terminally ill kids were ever on the television? In my opinion neither of these extremes is palatable and instead we are left with the reasonable compromise where some cases are highlighted and represent many more that are not. I'm sure those expressing sympathy and sorrow for his and his family's plight are implicitly extending those thoughts to all people in a similar situation, kind of goes without saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,052 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RIP Bradley.

I feel those people around him deserve a lot of credit for making his life as good as they could in the time he had left on this earth and for raising awareness of his illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The more coverage the nasty little bastard of a disease neuroblastoma gets, the better. A rare form of cancer my eye. My family are in the thick of it as I speak, so the bigger the spotlight on it, the more funding towards research it will get, and the survival rate will hopefully improve.

Masala wrote: »
    Hey...it's just my personal comment on how I feel at this moment.

We'll I presumed it was your personal comment.

I simply asked you to expand on it. One could be forgiven for thinking you were taking the proverbial or at least being very very glib, virtue signalling, and just trotting out the first line that came into your head. Which is why people get cynical about threads like these, because sometimes the contributions sound like platitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fair play to the family for raising awareness for this form of cancer and making their sons life a special one despite its shortness.

I think why its gained so much media attention is because its a reminder to everyone that how precious your health is and how quickly it can be ruthlessly taken from you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement