Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 213 Nunes Vs Shevchenko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes was forced to withdraw from her title fight against Valentina Shevchenko Saturday morning after falling ill and being transported to the hospital, MMA Fighting has learned.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/8/15941740/amanda-nunes-ill-out-of-ufc-213-main-event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If im honest im not too bothered about it being off, plenty on that card to entertain would cry if Romero fight was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Barca2014 wrote: »
    UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes was forced to withdraw from her title fight against Valentina Shevchenko Saturday morning after falling ill and being transported to the hospital, MMA Fighting has learned.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/8/15941740/amanda-nunes-ill-out-of-ufc-213-main-event

Ridiculous, happening far too often

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pretty annoying from Nunes tbh. I was just starting to warm to her, most people can't stand to listen to her, but I find something endearing about her.

That said the UFC have a history of hanging people out to dry if they think they can't fight. I'm sure the UFC doctors would clear just about anyone. Dana said if Khabib didn't go to the hospital and to UFC doctors instead he could have fought, even though his liver was shutting down.

With Nunes, the doctors might have missed something, but I have a suspicion that she had a dreadful weight cut and just doesn't feel up for the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ridiculous, happening far too often

Cut a load of weight or fight Cyborg seems to be her choice at the minute.

The Reem bumped up to co-main event.

Romero-Whittaker
    Overeem-Werdum

To be fair that's a better Main and Co-Main than they had before...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The Reem bumped up to co-main event.

Romero-Whittaker
    Overeem-Werdum

To be fair that's a better Main and Co-Main than they had before...

Disagree. Werdum vs Overeem is gonna be a good scrap, but personally I was more interested in seeing Nunes and Valentina .....bang.

A "source" (cough) has told TMZ that Amanda Nunes was checked out on both Friday and Saturday and doctors informed the UFC there was, quote, "nothing wrong with her (medically)".

You do have to wonder why Dana ran off to TMZ to bad-mouth her? I get that he's annoyed over it but it's hardly going to change her mind at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Nunes' mother arrived yesterday, her first time in the USA. Bummer all round for them, but I feel so bad for Valentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I have little sympathy for the UFC here, with Dana immediately acting like a shíthead by running Nunes into the ground to the press.

They can do something about weight cutting but they don't want the headache.

They previously under promoted her pre/post Rousey. Now with how he has handled one pullout he has buried Nunes, she will never be popular after this. As the guys on the MMA beat said, it's so easy to promote her - she is The Titan Killer - destroyed Ronda and Misha. Should be fairly easy to build an aura around her with a few good promos.

Would put good money on weight cutting being eliminated within the next decade, and people will look back wondering what the hell fighters were doing its madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I have little sympathy for the UFC here, with Dana immediately acting like a shíthead by running Nunes into the ground to the press.

If she was in hospital on Friday why weren't they searching for a replacement before it was way too late.
    UFC has spent most of the last month hyping up a boxing match than this card cause honestly they've made a shambles of promting themselves in 2017.
    I didn't even know Werdum vs Overeem was on the card until earlier in the week it's probably the biggest non title heavyweight fight on paper they have lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »
    Would put good money on weight cutting being eliminated within the next decade, and people will look back wondering what the hell fighters were doing its madness.

In the next 2 years id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

ASOT wrote: »
    In the next 2 years id say.

How do they do it though? If they have to fight nearer their normal weight when do they check their normal weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

ERG89 wrote:
    Why didn't they ask Ronda?

Nobody has seen Ronda since Amanda ended her career.

Weight cutting is going nowhere.

Extreme weight cutting (Conor/DC/Pettis type cuts) probably will be eliminated.

Boxing has less issues with weight cutting but even over there you have fighters regularly cutting 5-10lbs and in the worst cases 10-15lbs.

In MMA the bigger issue is we have fighters doing life-threatening 30lb cuts. DC is cutting 30+ lbs to fight Jones, Conor cut 25lbs to fight Aldo, Pettis cut the same for the Holloway fight.

I think they should (and can) put a stop to the extreme cuts but they're never going to stop the smaller cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Solid debut

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Gaethje v Johnson. Unreal 1st round!

Fight of the year!

• Advertisement

Think your a day behind us chief wake up its Saturday night UFC213

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bt2 showing a repeat of last night.

Fair enough! Was away last night. Still, ye can understand my excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Hespy wrote: »
    Fair enough! Was away last night. Still, ye can understand my excitement!

Absolutely. Unreal fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Shevchenko tweeted this. Says Nunes was cleared to fight

DEQJI7xU0AA1Sx-.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For a card that 6 weeks ago was looking like one of, if not the best of the year, it has been destroyed with the removals of Cody vs TJ, Nunes vs Shevchenko and Lawler vs Cowboy.

I'd be waiting for the full story to come out before saying anything against Nunes mind. Dana can't be trusted at all and has been made to look an utter dickhead numerous times in the past in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hon Gerald! [by sub]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

The eyepoke Gods smiling on Gerald there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Good call

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Paully D wrote: »
    For a card that 6 weeks ago was looking like one of, if not the best of the year, it has been destroyed with the removals of Cody vs TJ, Nunes vs Shevchenko and Lawler vs Cowboy.

I'd be waiting for the full story to come out before saying anything against Nunes mind. Dana can't be trusted at all and has been made to look an utter dickhead numerous times in the past in similar situations.

I agree 214 is the card this should of been.

Was really looking forward to the womens title fight but still some decent fights tonight to keep me up late.

Think whitaker will make a serious name for himself tonight if he finishes romero. I keep flip flopping on who i think will win

Advertisement