Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I owe me having a social life to one person.

• 08-07-2017 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically I owe my social life to one friend. We weren't even close when he did this.

A small back story. I never had much of a social life until I was 18. I never want out through my teenage years ever. I went to school, did stuff with family and cousins and stayed at home. I never hung out anywhere. The only people I talked too, used me for company during school as they liked no one in the class but put up with me.

In 6th year, after Christmas the friend got a group of us together playing 5 a side every week. My first time meeting up with people was February of 6th year. Through this I became good friends with people in my year I hard talked to or new over the previous 6 years. We then started drinking occasionally and going out.

I introduced my brothers to the football earlier this year and now there even good friends with my friends. We drink and go out together regularly enough now (thank God). I, very social in college as well now.

This might not seem like a PI, but recently I've been constantly thinking how the path my life took could of been so much different (worse) if that friend didn't invite me out that cold February Saturday. I owe it to him for how confident and social I have become.

Is this weird?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. Yes he invited you but in fairness to you ya did the rest of it. Don't sell yourself short. What he did was a really nice thing but he obviously knew or saw you were a sound enough lad in the first place.

Whatever you do don't pedestal the guy as there is only one place to go from there and that's down.

Enjoy it and appreciate what you have. It's a great story to hear and who knows maybe on the future you can repay the debt or better still pay it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

I have to agree with Rasco, one person introduced you to others but they obviously enjoyed your company.

I never thought of it until I read your post but I suppose the first person that I talked to in college introduced me to a lot of people i'm still friends with now. Could say the same about a colleague when I started a new job but I'd like to think I sustained and built up those friendships. You did similar so give yourself some credit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Awwwhhh what a lovely story. He sounds like a nice guy but so do you. He might have a very different version to yours; he could have been on here a couple of years ago saying he had no mates and he was jealous of other guys playing football and drinking with friends and then followed advice to invite some guys to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's not weird, it's how it happens. It's a shame it didn't happen for you earlier into secondary, but you are when you are now. It's good that you appreciate that and your man, though, a lot of people can forget stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

This is why sport is great for young people, bonding and making new friends.

Sometimes we all need a person like that to bring us out of ourselves a bit and show us there is a whole world of people out there waiting to be acquainted and enjoyed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement