Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I pursue being a solicitor or not?

• 08-07-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I am 24, have a training contract offer in a commercial firm. I am at the point where I need to buckle down and do the fe1s (failed the first time) but doing that will be difficult because I work full time as a paralegal. If I don't do it this year it will be nearly two years before I could start working at the firm.

What's holding me back is I live in a major European city which I really like (or more I hate Dublin, sorry but it's too expensive, too small and boring for me. Especially rent). If I do law in Ireland, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to leave Ireland to move back to Europe (America doesn't interest me, Brexit rules out U.K., Australia too far away) essentially trapping me in Ireland (maybe I'm wrong, you tell me). As well I'm worried the hours required in commercial law will be too much for me, I really don't like the idea of having to spend my whole twenties working til 10pm and never having time for friends or a girlfriend and I have the impression that's what's required.

On the other hand, I'm worried if I don't pursue being a solicitor I'll always be stuck at relatively low paying jobs in the country I'm in. Also, paralegal work is intellectually not very challenging and i worry in a few years yeah I'll have loads of time for friends/relationships but I'll be bored out of my mind.

I'm at a point of being completely paralyzed as to what decision to make. Any advice much appreciated. I don't know anyone who has done this career path before so I can't get any real information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Forget doing the FE-1s and qualify in your chosen new home. Alternatively come back for a bit, bearing in mind the entire country isn't Dublin, qualify and then look to move under Free Movement laws. I'm sure jobs would be available with an Irish law background, although if it was me, I'd just qualify in situ as having both would be much beter than even doubly good :pac: Dublin is great but also a bit meh when you're reminded how fecking amazing some other cities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Yes, you don't necessarily have to qualify in the Ireland either. It leaves many options even if you decide not to practice, including abroad. I always come across law opportunities in European countries such as Spain who want a qualified legal professional that qualified anywhere in the EU. The European Union also hires qualified legal professionals. In house counsel for insurance companies etc. is another option. If you like that idea, have you considered KI? You could be in and out in 2 years. I know of a barrister who failed the FE1's and went to down this route and qualified. He thinks the bar entrance exams are easier but it gets harder after that, mainly because of the 5 exams in 5 days. Something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

sinesine wrote: »

What's holding me back is I live in a major European city which I really like (or more I hate Dublin, sorry but it's too expensive, too small and boring for me. Especially rent). If I do law in Ireland, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to leave Ireland to move back to Europe (America doesn't interest me, Brexit rules out U.K., Australia too far away) essentially trapping me in Ireland (maybe I'm wrong, you tell me). As well I'm worried the hours required in commercial law will be too much for me, I really don't like the idea of having to spend my whole twenties working til 10pm and never having time for friends or a girlfriend and I have the impression that's what's required.

On the other hand, I'm worried if I don't pursue being a solicitor I'll always be stuck at relatively low paying jobs in the country I'm in. Also, paralegal work is intellectually not very challenging and i worry in a few years yeah I'll have loads of time for friends/relationships but I'll be bored out of my mind.

This is exactly what put me off going through with it (along with the cost). Graduated with honours in law in 2013, loved the course. Never looked back. Been watching my friends slave away through their 20s while ive been working 9-5 and enjoying my life. Have had no problems getting jobs in other fields with my degree and just landed a big break into another industry (which pays just as well) 3 months ago.

There are plenty of other well paying jobs out there. Ok, chances are you won't be on big money as quickly, but money shouldn't be the main reason you pursue this particular career as there are far easier ways to make the same kind of money, and it is such a drain on your personal life (and in some cases your mental health - dealing with constant unending conflict and high pressure cases) that its not worth the damage unless you are really into it. If you really love the work then I'd say go for it but if you only like it I'd move on. You only get one life, use it wisely!

My 2c. Sorry if I come off as overly pessimistic but I call it like I see it!

I've never met a fully happy solicitor - okay the very occasional senior partner, but people in their 20s or 30s, nope. Plenty of delighted barristers - although I think they're good at setting their own expectations given you're pretty much told from day 1 the bar is a no-go if you actually want mad things like money for your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

This is exactly what put me off going through with it (along with the cost). Graduated with honours in law in 2013, loved the course. Never looked back. Been watching my friends slave away through their 20s while ive been working 9-5 and enjoying my life. Have had no problems getting jobs in other fields with my degree and just landed a big break into another industry (which pays just as well) 3 months ago.

There are plenty of other well paying jobs out there. Ok, chances are you won't be on big money as quickly, but money shouldn't be the main reason you pursue this particular career as there are far easier ways to make the same kind of money, and it is such a drain on your personal life (and in some cases your mental health - dealing with constant unending conflict and high pressure cases) that its not worth the damage unless you are really into it. If you really love the work then I'd say go for it but if you only like it I'd move on. You only get one life, use it wisely!

My 2c. Sorry if I come off as overly pessimistic but I call it like I see it!

May I please ask what profession you were in before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

sinesine wrote: »

Just to note that at the moment in Blackhall in PPC2 you have a mandatory subject of English and Welsh Property Law. Having done that and successfully passing your other subjects you automatically qualify to practice in England and Wales - you just have to apply to be admitted to the Roll of Solicitors there after being admitted here.

I very much doubt Brexit will effect Irish solicitors much. There's too much history between the UK and Ireland that predates the EU (and it's forerunners). It MAY effect being able to qualify on a short path for Scots law, but it's not entirely clear if Scotland won't get some concession and remain in the EU.

Advertisement