Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Australia to Ireland

Options
  • 08-07-2017 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

We are Australians looking to move to Ireland. My husband has an Irish Passport and we love the idea of cheaper property prices we have just enough cash to buy something outright. Ideally we want to spend around 60k and slowly renovate. We are looking for advice on best town or areas to move? Where is there decent employment opportunities? Do you recommend the move? We want to have a new adventure and leave the ridiculously unbearable heat of Australia with all the snakes and sharks and spiders behind! Lol!
    We have 3 children under 8 so any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

MrsBigM wrote: »
    We are Australians looking to move to Ireland. My husband has an Irish Passport and we love the idea of cheaper property prices we have just enough cash to buy something outright. Ideally we want to spend around 60k and slowly renovate. We are looking for advice on best town or areas to move? Where is there decent employment opportunities? Do you recommend the move? We want to have a new adventure and leave the ridiculously unbearable heat of Australia with all the snakes and sharks and spiders behind! Lol!

Nice little house here well within budget

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-sale/limerick-city/66-hyde-road-limerick-city-limerick-1431708/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You want to buy a house outright for 60k?! What?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Depending on your occupations you could find it very tough.

There's only going to be a very small number of properties at the price level you have in mind and it's a fairly safe bet they're going to be a good distance away from most decent employment opportunities.

If you're thinking about relocating to any of the major cities, 60k might cover the deposit for a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MrsBigM

We have seen a few in the Country for 60k? Our max budget is 100k
    Our house in Australia cost us 450k and it needed a full renovation... I've spoken to an agent for a house in county Cavan... which we could have purchased for 85k but we are not too sure on areas... I'm thinking we are best to come over and look first maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Do not buy a property from the other side of the world. Rent for a year and make sure you settle. Then look at buying if you are happy.

Be careful of some areas as facilities and infrastructure can be poor public transport / broadband for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

You want to buy a house outright for 60k?! What?!

We bought outright for 64K last year. Rural cottage on an acre of woodland, needing a bit of TLC but nothing major.

Though as pointed out above, employment opportunities out in the sticks are severely limited.

To the OP - check out Green Valley Properties http://www.gvp.ie

Our house in Australia cost us 450k and it needed a full renovation... I've spoken to an agent for a house in county Cavan... which we could have purchased for 85k but we are not too sure on areas... I'm thinking we are best to come over and look first maybe?

The cheaper houses are typically in areas with incredibly limited employment opportunities.

If you want to live anywhere near the main centres of employment, you're going to be looking at a figure at least equivalent to the price of your Australian house. Significantly more if you're thinking about Dublin.

What are your occupations? There's still a good difference between 60k and 85k. But for such low prices you'd most definitely be looking at something very isolated and very rundown

Besides Dublin which other major cities are good for jobs? My husband is a fly in fly out painter blaster and concreter and I am in pharmaceutical sales?

Besides Dublin which other major cities are good for jobs? My husband is a fly in fly out painter blaster and concreter and I am in pharmaceutical sales?

Pharmaceuticals are huge in Dublin and you'd likely get a good salary there. But your budget would only pay for a deposit on a mortgage. You can't get a shed in Dublin for 60k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Definitely ballsbridge is for you.

You'll be able to park your bmw there too -
    not sure whether you wanted a 1 series or 5 series, but maybe you've changed your mind and purchased the mustang from Germany you talked about?

I've been told how expensive Dublin is... we don't mind the idea of a little more rural... but it's the jobs we need to sort... my husband works offshore and I've seen a few jobs around for him. I'm thinking the absolute only way to do this is to spend the 8kAUD on a holiday for us to check it out first

Pharmaceuticals are huge in Dublin and you'd likely get a good salary there. But your budget would only pay for a deposit on a mortgage. You can't get a shed in Dublin for 60k!

Alternatively you could probably manage about 2 parking spaces.

There's quite a few Pharma companies around the country, Dublin, Longford, Carlow, Galway, Newbridge.....

I'm not sure how many of them would be looking for a local sales presence though.

Two websites you should familiarise yourself with:

http://www.irishjobs.ie
    http://daft.ie <- property sales/rentals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Troll alert everyone.

Thanks so much that's a great starting point... it's not easy orientating ourselves with it all... but we love the idea of Ireland very much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Lots of pharma companies in West cork and you'd pick up a house for 120k handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Depending where you work. There are plenty of cottages, small bungalows etc for that kind of price, but deep in the country at remote locations. Maybe without indoor plumbing.

In any city, the only housing at that price might be a tiny council-house in a ghetto estate surrounded by burnt-out cars and very dodgy neighbours.

Here's a nice little one - but it's in Roscommon. Near Castlerea, pretty but economically most depressed town in Connacht.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/cloonchambers-castlerea-co-roscommon/102798

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Do not buy a property from the other side of the world. Rent for a year and make sure you settle. Then look at buying if you are happy.

This, with bells on.

I'm sure you've met some ping-pong poms. You're in danger of doing the same in reverse if you buy here witjout experiencing the climate and culture first.

What do you do for a living? That will greatly influence where jobs are and thus where you can live with a realistic commute.

I totally agree... we have to come take a look first! we've been to the UK but not Ireland... I guess weather wise we are the opposite... it is excruciating here in Summer.. to the point that a plastic cup left in the sun, melted on our grass.. it is however really reassuring to know that we would have a decent deposit to buy in a city

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

MrsBigM wrote:
    Thanks so much that's a great starting point... it's not easy orientating ourselves with it all... but we love the idea of Ireland very much

Have you been to Ireland before?

• Advertisement

No not yet. We are going to visit before making a final decision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The change from living in a 450k house in Australia in need of a full renovation to an 85k house in Cavan would most likely be a bigger shock to the system than any other lifestyle change you may experience when moving to Ireland from Australia.

I Definitely need to do heaps more research after this post! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

MrsBigM wrote:

The dream and reality are 2 different things . If wanting to work in Dublin you will need to commute in and out. Even to rent an apartment in Dublin budget 1500 to 2k a month. Anywhere within a commuting distance/time ( 1 to 1 1/2 ) of Dublin south or north along the coastal line of Dublin is going to be expensive to buy the further inland you go the cheaper it will get. You just have to allow for longer commute times living inland . You would want to budget 200K plus and that will be for a small 3 bed house (2 bed and box room for shoes ) in a housing estate.

60K Euro might buy u a wreck in the back arse of no where and it will most likely not be liveable and there won't be much work available locally . Those type of places where I live don't go for 60K I'd be lucky if I could get a site for that price , what's of value is the land the house sits on and a property developer will come in and rebuild and sell for way over what he paid for it .

Unfortunately you are 8 or 9 yrs to late to buy cheap in Ireland. The recession was the ideal time to grab a property

60K will get you a good deposit with a 20 to 30 yr mortgage or a home in Eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP is either a troll or utterly delusional. Seriously.

Thanks for that! I've already said numerous times in this post that I've got to go back to the drawing board... my original numbers were way off... which is why I posted on here... because I wasn't sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

MrsBigM wrote:
    Thanks for that! I've already said numerous times in this post that I've got to go back to the drawing board... my original numbers were way off... which is why I posted on here... because I wasn't sure!

No worries . You won't be the first or last to think Ireland is an attractive place to live and work . Most foreigners see the good salaries but fail to realise the high cost of living etc Unless you have plenty of money behind you to get a good start and have a good education to get a good job the Irish dream will be tough

Feck the begrudgers on here. Ask the questions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also- you are not automatically entitled to work in Ireland- unless you're EU citizens- as Australians you need a specific work permit for working here......... It doesn't matter that you see a plethora of job opportunities- if you're not eligible to work here, its moot.

Even 3 kids under 8- are a factor here- you need reasonable proximity to schools and other facilities and amenities.

Your budget- sorry to be blunt- is not a budget in an Irish context. You might be able to use it as a deposit for a mortgage- however, the idea that you're going to buy anywhere outright- given your requirements- simply does not stack up.

If you are not an EU citizen- don't even bother- you're not going to make the visa requirements- the deposit you have doesn't even meet the finance rules for a family with 3 kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    OP is either a troll or utterly delusional. Seriously.

Less of this please.

The OP realises her figures are way off- and has said she is going back to the drawing board.
    In addition- I'd urge her to look at the visa and self-financing requirements- her 60k lumpsum is insufficient for a family with 3 kids.

• Advertisement

Also- you are not automatically entitled to work in Ireland- unless you're EU citizens- as Australians you need a specific work permit for working here......... It doesn't matter that you see a plethora of job opportunities- if you're not eligible to work here, its moot.

Even 3 kids under 8- are a factor here- you need reasonable proximity to schools and other facilities and amenities.

Your budget- sorry to be blunt- is not a budget in an Irish context. You might be able to use it as a deposit for a mortgage- however, the idea that you're going to buy anywhere outright- given your requirements- simply does not stack up.

If you are not an EU citizen- don't even bother- you're not going to make the visa requirements- the deposit you have doesn't even meet the finance rules for a family with 3 kids.

My husband has an Irish passport... I have checked and I do qualify for a spousal visa... this is one of the places we were looking at... but obviously we are not certain on the list location :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement