Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicles removed from housing estate.

• 08-07-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Just heard of 3 vehicles being removed from a local housing estate for obstructing manholes. Although these vehicles were parked on the footpath this seems over the top as the owners of the vehicles were not at home and got no warning. I know it is not ideal to be parked on the footpath but in a housing estate this is a common practice. When the workman arrived he proceeded to ring the guards and then the recovery truck arrived. There is a hefty cost to recover these vehicles now and a lot of people would not be aware of this happening. Is this practice entirely legal or should there be a warning first to give the people a chance to remove the Vehicles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I'd say its above board unfortunately

blocking access to services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

If the cars are parked illegally they can be taken away....parking on footpath would sound to be illegal. Does seem OTT though

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sboyle01

daheff wrote: »
    If the cars are parked illegally they can be taken away....parking on footpath would sound to be illegal. Does seem OTT though

Yes I agree that it is technically wrong but it is something that is common in a lot of estates. It's something I would not have ever thought about until I heard this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

sboyle01 wrote: »
    Is this practice entirely legal or should there be a warning first to give the people a chance to remove the Vehicles?

If people aren't home how would they be contacted to come and move their cars blocking the man holes ,

Yes I agree that it is technically wrong but it is something that is common in a lot of estates. It's something I would not have ever thought about until I heard this story.

It is not "technically wrong". It is just wrong. People need to have some thought of outside themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume all were also taxed and insured? Why couldn't they not just move them aside instead of seizing them?

Gatling wrote: »
    If people aren't home how would they be contacted to come and move their cars blocking the man holes ,

Give them warning in advance that there will be working in the area.

It is not "technically wrong". It is just wrong. People need to have some thought of outside themselves.

I posted this on here for a friend as he had no boards account and I said to him there will be some do-gooders coming on giving their opinions. Only had to wait a few posts. I know I wouldn't be happy if my car was seized from outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I posted this on here for a friend as he had no boards account and I said to him there will be some do-gooders coming on giving their opinions. Only had to wait a few posts. I know I wouldn't be happy if my car was seized from outside my house.

How happy would you be if your house was on fire, & someone had parked their car on top of the hydrant, so the FB couldn't get access to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

sboyle01 wrote:

I thought that was the idea of boards, you start a thread asking for peoples opinions?
    Handy tip: if you don't want your car towed, don't park like an ignorant, selfish, obnoxious, self absorbed, arrogant tw4t.
    What about the regular pedestrians trying to get past? And that's before you consider the blind, the less able, people walking dogs, old people, parents with pushchairs, wheelchair users? Sod them, let them walk in the road around the car? This level of self importance is galactic and as much as I doubt the towed vehicles owners will change their habits any time soon, at least its hit them in the wallet.
    Oh, and if that makes me a do-gooder, well its been a while since calling me names hurt my feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Park legally and it won't happen.

And seriously if someone is dumb[] enough to park over a manhole, are they really smart enough to be driving.

[] = mod deletion

fishfoodie wrote: »
    How happy would you be if your house was on fire, & someone had parked their car on top of the hydrant, so the FB couldn't get access to it ?

Then why don't the guards drive around every estate in the country and lift every car parked on the footpath?

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    I thought that was the idea of boards, you start a thread asking for peoples opinions?
    Handy tip: if you don't want your car towed, don't park like an ignorant, selfish, obnoxious, self absorbed, arrogant tw4t.
    What about the regular pedestrians trying to get past? And that's before you consider the blind, the less able, people walking dogs, old people, parents with pushchairs, wheelchair users? Sod them, let them walk in the road around the car? This level of self importance is galactic and as much as I doubt the towed vehicles owners will change their habits any time soon, at least its hit them in the wallet.
    Oh, and if that makes me a do-gooder, well its been a while since calling me names hurt my feels.

I just wanted to find out if it was legal and above board the way they behaved. Not interested in condescending lectures on the moral side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I just wanted to find out if it was legal and above board the way they behaved. Not interested in condescending lectures on the moral side of it.

Answer is yes.

Yes they can remove a car parked illegally and causing an obstruction.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Answer is yes.

Yes they can remove a car parked illegally and causing an obstruction.

Thanks. That's all I wanted to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then why don't the guards drive around every estate in the country and lift every car parked on the footpath?
    Priorities.

Victor wrote: »
    Priorities.

Exactly. It's hardly seen as a major crime as some people on here would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Exactly. It's hardly seen as a major crime as some people on here would have you believe.

I've worked on roadside jobs and even if you cone off the area, put up notices and put notes through doors people ignore the notes, move the cones and park anyway.

So from experience I'd be 100% in favour of getting the guards out to move cars if that was an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

And that's just the pedestrians. Selfish [] parking where they shouldn't often endangers drivers too as it can reduce visibility. Some [] friend of one of my neighbours always parks half on the footpath, half on the raised cycle path and assumes it's fine because people can get around him. But if I or our other neighbour are coming off our drives we can't see cars or cyclists coming off the t-junction beyond the neighbour's house and those drivers/cyclists can't see us. There are actual reasons why you can't just park on the pavement, it's not just a silly rule put there to piss people off.

[]=mod deletions. Plse be polite

But it is a crime. It is a crime because it is offensive and unsafe behaviour.

Realise that you may be coming across as outraged that people can't break the law, whereas others are outraged because people are breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Is it a public or private estate?

Victor wrote: »
    But it is a crime. It is a crime because it is offensive and unsafe behaviour.

Realise that you may be coming across as outraged that people can't break the law, whereas others are outraged because people are breaking the law.

So presumably these people could have been charged by the guards along with having their vehicles removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So presumably these people could have been charged by the guards along with having their vehicles removed.

Normally dealt with through a fixed penalty notice.

The Garda / council charge people a hefty tow fee / daily rate.
    judeboy101 wrote: »
    Garda / council will normally only intervene when a road is in the charge of the council.

But note that some offences, e.g. relating to insurance or dangerous driving apply to public roads and public places (places where the general public have access, so the road doesn't need to be in the charge of the council).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Handy tip: if you don't want your car towed, don't park like Mod deletion. No insults pls.

;

judeboy101 wrote: »

Not sure. All I know is that the pavement is in such a bad state it would be a hazard to use.

Handy tip: if you don't want your car towed, don't park like Mod deletion. No insults pls.

[] = mod deletions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Nobody here has said this was a major crime. They've said it is an offence and there is nothing wrong with the car being removed. That was stated in both of the first two replies. If you really only wanted the information, instead of validation for the person you are supposedly posting on behalf of, you'd have been happy with that.

In fact the only person trying to make a mountain out of a molehill is you. Wondering if it was legal for the car which was blocking services to be removed.

You and/or your friend should be glad they apparently get away with this behaviour regularly and not be moaning about the one time the tables are turned and they were the one inconvenienced and trying to suggest that unless every example is dealt with the authorities are wrong to deal with any example. In fact removing the car when it was actually blocking work is an extremely reasonable position to take.

Note, by the way, that in general when people moan about do gooders and/or people on high horses it is a very strong indicator that all they wanted wss someone to validate their own bad behaviour and they are upset when they discover that other people don't agree with them. If all you see is a bunch of decent people who agree you didn't do anything wrong and a bunch of stupid do gooders who wrongly think you did then you were never looking for a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Just heard of 3 vehicles being removed from a local housing estate for obstructing manholes. Although these vehicles were parked on the footpath this seems over the top as the owners of the vehicles were not at home and got no warning. I know it is not ideal to be parked on the footpath but in a housing estate this is a common practice. When the workman arrived he proceeded to ring the guards and then the recovery truck arrived. There is a hefty cost to recover these vehicles now and a lot of people would not be aware of this happening. Is this practice entirely legal or should there be a warning first to give the people a chance to remove the Vehicles?

Not all works requiring access are planned. Sometimes a random issue can arise and immediate access might be required. In any event, access to the manholes should be available at all times.

Parking a car on the footpath is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might I ask whose manholes these were?

Irish Water: Touchy subject in some estates
    Eir/Virgin: Normally no rush
    ESB: Will always get priority access if required

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Nobody here has said this was a major crime. They've said it is an offence and there is nothing wrong with the car being removed. That was stated in both of the first two replies. If you really only wanted the information, instead of validation for the person you are supposedly posting on behalf of, you'd have been happy with that.

In fact the only person trying to make a mountain out of a molehill is you. Wondering if it was legal for the car which was blocking services to be removed.

You and/or your friend should be glad they apparently get away with this behaviour regularly and not be moaning about the one time the tables are turned and they were the one inconvenienced and trying to suggest that unless every example is dealt with the authorities are wrong to deal with any example. In fact removing the car when it was actually blocking work is an extremely reasonable position to take.

Note, by the way, that in general when people moan about do gooders and/or people on high horses it is a very strong indicator that all they wanted wss someone to validate their own bad behaviour and they are upset when they discover that other people don't agree with them. If all you see is a bunch of decent people who agree you didn't do anything wrong and a bunch of stupid do gooders who wrongly think you did then you were never looking for a discussion.

Let's be clear this case has nothing to do with me. I have no reason to hide that. Its not even in the area i live in so you aren't as clever as you think.

sboyle01 wrote:

None of what I posted was condescending, it was factual. The vehicles were illegally parked and caused a hazard/obstruction to everyone else. Are the vehicle owners too lazy to park 10 or 20 metres (or however far before the Pedant Police strike!) further along?

If you feel condescended to perhaps the problem lies with you, I was just illustrating the consequences of the selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Pavements are not meant to be parked on at any time - they are not as hard wearing as roads. The pavement outside my house is cracked because drivers park on it constantly. They are possibly thinking that their cars will be safer from traffic passing.

sboyle01 wrote:
    Not sure. All I know is that the pavement is in such a bad state it would be a hazard to use.

cbreeze wrote:
    Pavements are not meant to be parked on at any time - they are not as hard wearing as roads. The pavement outside my house is cracked because drivers park on it constantly. They are possibly thinking that their cars will be safer from traffic passing.

....aaaand QED

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Might I ask whose manholes these were?

Irish Water: Touchy subject in some estates
    Eir/Virgin: Normally no rush
    ESB: Will always get priority access if required

Irish water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So you posted only wanting replies that agree with you. Manholes or no manholes, common in estates or not, parking on the footpath is illegal, inconsiderate, an obstacle to many and unwarranted.

So you posted only wanting replies that agree with you. Manholes or no manholes, common in estates or not, parking on the footpath is illegal, inconsiderate, an obstacle to many and unwarranted.

Incorrect. I posted here to find out if it was legal. Personally I couldn't care less if they lifted every car in the estate. Some people have come on here to make a lot of snooty and aggressive comments though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Give them warning in advance that there will be working in the area.

They do give them a warning. Years of warning by writing laws.

• Advertisement

They do give them a warning. Years of warning by writing laws.

Read my last post. You are just proving my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement