Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very poor article in The Sun paper by Rob Gill

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I will make one little point. Nobody has mentioned at any stage the eGolf. It is by far the best Electric car at the moment on the Irish Road in the mainstream. I discount the Tesla as the 3 is not available.

Test drive a eGolf and it is incredibly good car.

It's not just me that says that by the way :-)

Good point, the 2017 eGolf is another 200km car. Another example where the article is out of date by 2/3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I mention the future and quote you because you mention today as the past also. :confused:
    Step out of the time machine for a second. Bottom line is that you are saying that EV's are the future but as regards today's EV's, they're not fit for purpose.

I gave you use cases where they very much are fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I will make one little point. Nobody has mentioned at any stage the eGolf. It is by far the best Electric car at the moment on the Irish Road in the mainstream. I discount the Tesla as the 3 is not available.

Best at what? Looking like an ICE or being overpriced for what you're getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is an excellent car. And it looks like a normal car, which is another bonus. But the on the road price is very high. If it was maybe €2k or €3k more than Ioniq, people would buy it en masse. I might have bought it myself. People are willing to pay a premium for a car that they perceive as a premium car. And that might depreciate less than a non premium car like a Toyota, Nissan or Hyundai

But the car is smaller, less well specced and costs almost €37k with metallic paint on the road. That's 50% more than Ioniq. Say no more.

And I bet it's nowhere as fun as the I3, better boot though lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And I bet it's nowhere as fun as the I3, better boot though lol.
    I3 is another that's overpriced. But at least it has merit being a BMW, rwd and somewhat fun to drive.

An e-golf while a great car, is the price of the i3 while offering features and range similar to a leaf/zoe. Not worth the premium price imo, not by a long shot
    When you think that a new egolf is what now, 37k? You could buy a new Ioniq (which is a far better car than the egolf imo) and also a <24 month old leaf and still have change from 37k!

I'm thinking if I'd pay a premium for the I3 , I don't know but it was a really great car to drive and I guess that's what you spend the money on, I enjoyed it so much I could be willing to accept not having some kit.

It's a shame the Rex has so much VRT applied. For a car with a large battery there should be no vrt because it's not a hybrid, very, very far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

It's a shame the Rex has so much VRT applied. For a car with a large battery there should be no vrt because it's not a hybrid, very, very far from it.

Hopefully they'll bring in a VRT structure which differentiates PHEV's into two categories. Charge higher VRT on ones where the petrol engine has longer range than battery, and charge lower VRT on ones where the battery is the main source of range.

i3 is a nice car alright. Might look into importing a second one from UK. Although we do need at least one big/long range car in the family. Will just have to get a tesla...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

TBi wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll bring in a VRT structure which differentiates PHEV's into two categories. Charge higher VRT on ones where the petrol engine has longer range than battery, and charge lower VRT on ones where the battery is the main source of range.

i3 is a nice car alright. Might look into importing a second one from UK. Although we do need at least one big/long range car in the family. Will just have to get a tesla...

In California there are two different categories for Phev. Essentially one is for the fake/compliance ones that only get like 5 miles on EV mode. These are treated like standard hybrids.
    Then there's a second category for "BEVx" which is for REX cars where the ICE range is shorter than the EV range. These cars are treated for the most part like ZEV and are allowed use the carpool lanes etc.

We should have this distinction over here too, and both BEV and BEVx should be allowed the €5k vrt grant. And remove it from compliance cars like the X5 plugin and similar who only get 10km or something on ev mode and then are a fully fledged ICE for the rest of the 400+km ICE range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    It is an excellent car. And it looks like a normal car, which is another bonus. But the on the road price is very high. If it was maybe €2k or €3k more than Ioniq, people would buy it en masse. I might have bought it myself. People are willing to pay a premium for a car that they perceive as a premium car. And that might depreciate less than a non premium car like a Toyota, Nissan or Hyundai

But the car is smaller, less well specced and costs almost €37k with metallic paint on the road. That's 50% more than Ioniq. Say no more.

I think you are looking at this wrong. You should not be comparing the eGolf to Ioniq or a Leaf.

The comparison should be against a Golf TDI or FSI with similar spec.

Quick look at a Golf TDI Highline automatic with auto gear box and the cost is 32k. The eGolf is listed at 34k. The highline would have similar base spec to eGolf.

So saying an eGolf cost is high is not correct. It is high against a Leaf or Ioniq but that really is not the point. People buying petrol/Diesels Golfs are not looking at the petrol/diesel equivalent in Nissan/Hyundai......

If you want electric cars to go mainstream there has to be a change in attitude, people buy a Golf because they are a Golf. What we need is the garages to also offer the eGolf at the same time because it is also a Golf. Everyone I have shown mine to love the car.

As I mentioned before the range limit is pure BS....how many people buying new TDI Golf's etc are actually going over 200km a day? very few. So the range is not the issue. The problem is that sales people in garages are s**t to be honest.

I work in sales, I would love a run in a garage just to see how many eGolf's I could flog instead of diesel/petrol alternatives.....

They are selling eGolfs in every other country Worldwide, the waiting lists in most countries are long. How many new eGolfs have been sold in Ireland? it is a joke.

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »

Well there's my dilemma do I need the Rex ? I drove 408 Kms from 100 % with 2 stops, one for 48 mins I think it was , had food at the Galway CCS point and got from 14-98% , then stopped in Kilbeggan for Coffee and toilet and charged for 8 mins because A leaf driver pulled up and I knew I could continue for the majority of the trip on battery and that was more than enough to get back home to Carlow.

We could probably make do with the boot for the majority of trips, could even take it to the U.K and anywhere we want and this is the key difference with the Rex and we have another car for longer trips when more space is required.

You can probably get a roof rack for the I3 ? you could store a lot more up there.

Then I could also get a 2014-15 I3 Rex with 60 Ah battery, would still make my commute on the work charger 100% of the time and then use the Rex if needs be, it's difficult to know what to do, I do think the 94 Ah 33 Kwh BEV I3 would be best the Rex version really is too expensive at 51K.

What will be interesting is seeing what they have in store for the I3 in November, more kit same price ? Cheaper same kit ? Looks likely there'll be no more range until maybe the end of 2018 or perhaps the Summer. Who knows.

Advertisement