Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mysterious Hole

Options
  • 08-07-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

While cutting the grass in the back garden this afternoon, I noticed this hole under the bushes. It appears to be freshly dug.

Any ideas what's responsible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

crosstownk wrote: »
    While cutting the grass in the back garden this afternoon, I noticed this hole under the bushes. It appears to be freshly dug.

Any ideas what's responsible?

Hopefully the photos attach this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Badger maybe. They can dig a fine big hole. Is your garden enclosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rat tunnel? Looks big for that, though you never know.

The garden is not completely enclosed - a small animal could easily get in under the fence or the side gate.

Badger did cross my mind but I've never seen one or heard any of the neighbours mention badgers. Still though it's possible, I suppose.

I reckon (hope!) it isn't a rat hole as it's about 20cm in diameter.

There are plenty of foxes about - would a fox dig this?

There's a school on the other side of the wall that has plenty of green space an hedgerows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Fox not very likely, outside the breeding season which is about February.

Badgers unlikely outside a main colony - though badgers do like tree roots as a location. But they are a social creature.

Rabbit, or rat - though it is big for rats but they can dig a lot. I've seen rat holes this size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd go with the rat theory myself. I have the T shirt!

Suburban garden and big holes everywhere mostly along one side close to the fence. I told neighbours and we all kept an eye out. Sure enough it was lots of Rolands!

Building going on up the road was the culprit.

Sorted it with ahem..... poison traps for 40 quid from Woodies.

I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Put some soft wet sand around the whole & check for footprints in the morning

Ah lads. Please let it not be rats. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

20cm is much too small for badgers. Rabbit or Rat.

I regularly see mice in the garden - more so since the cat died a few months back.

Is there truth in the theory that mice and rats don't mix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's big enough for a fox , it doesn't appear to be used much , it may be a secondary entrance/escape route to an earth , if rats were using it there would be a well worn smooth path into the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Time for a new cat!! A big one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Nuke it from space, only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You can rest a Y shaped stick against it. Anything small will go underneath, larger animals will move the stick. It also tells you if it is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

So?

km79 wrote: »
    So?

Nothing to report. I put a few small twigs across it but they remain undisturbed when I checked yesterday evening.

Advertisement